Server firewall in Dorm, sharing is a pain

Jaffrin

Weaksauce
I have an old dual PII system which I am wanting to setup up in my dorm.
The goal is to use it for a firewall and for internet sharing.
The school network limits bandwidth to each computer based on IP/Mac address I want the network to see the server as two computers...
it is easy to set it up as a firwall, but in that configuration two computers would be sharing the badwidth of one.
The goal is that when one of us is not on the net other gets twice the bandwith, but would be scaled down and evened out when both users are on.
I currently have two 10/100 network cards in the server, a 10 base-t hub, and a 10/100 switch, plently of cable, etc.
The Computer is a PII 333x2 system running Win Pro 2000.

Any number of suggestions would help, software, hardware, etc.
I would like to use what I have if it is possible, but if there is a must have for it to work please give that info.
If you need more info please just ask.

get 2 wan (as in connected to the school's network) nics maybe

though i have to say this kinda seems like trying to circumvent measures that the college has in place

tim said:
get 2 wan (as in connected to the school's network) nics maybe

though i have to say this kinda seems like trying to circumvent measures that the college has in place
It is. Technically, 1 computer getting two different bandwidth allocations is circumventing restrictions the owners put in place.

To answer the other question: Unless the other side is agreeable, you will not get twice the bandwidth from two seperate connections, anymore than you'd get twice the computing speed from dual processors. There are techniques that would do this, but the other side would have to set this up.

My room mate and I have both paid for our individual connections,
So we both have a right to a certain amount of bandwidith form the server.
we simply want to keep the bandwidth that should be allocated to two computers
and not lose that bandwith by running it through a firewall/server.
Does anyone know how to set it up? :confused:

XOR != OR said:
To answer the other question: Unless the other side is agreeable, you will not get twice the bandwidth from two seperate connections, anymore than you'd get twice the computing speed from dual processors. There are techniques that would do this, but the other side would have to set this up.

Not that I don't believe you, I just find it hard to believe that once computer cannot use the bandwidth of two connection. Some sort of software that would split a download between two network cards [using the bandwidth allocation from each].
Anyone know more about setting somthing like this up?

Jaffrin said:
Not that I don't believe you, I just find it hard to believe that once computer cannot use the bandwidth of two connection. Some sort of software that would split a download between two network cards [using the bandwidth allocation from each].
There are ways to load balance two connections. But to have the system dynamically prioritize egress traffic would require a device that could classify traffic into "strict priority queues" based on L2 or L3 info. Keep in mind that it would be impossible to control ingress traffic.

Are you good a programming? GateD could be rewritten to do this...

I wish I had that ability... to program.
Thank you for the info... it seems as though it would be too
difficult to run that way and get what we want out of it.
I was hoping I could set it up that way but hey...
life goes on.

Jaffrin said:
All this will give you is a connection with more stable speed ( ie: You can download two somethings at 150kB/s instead of one ).

If that's what you are looking to do, linux can do this. It's not easy, but it's possible.

Most likely your only approach is to load balance, something like a dual WAN port router like Symantec has, or even Linksys new RV0 line of routers. When one WAN Port becomes filled with traffic, the router automatically flips to the other pipe to utilize.

Bonding connections has to also be done upstream (what you're looking for), something they will not do for you.

But I'd not waste my time, as you're probably looking for this to run file sharing apps, or game servers....and most schools now have traffic shaping which severely cuts back on this type of traffic, slowing it down to a bare trickle so that legitimate traffic is given the priority. So it would be like driving on a 6 lane superhighway...on a moped for you. You pay for the use of their network as they see fit, not as you see fit. It's not the answer you want to hear, but it's what they're doing. File sharing apps which attempt to suck up bandwidth, game servers which generate lots of traffic, poorly cared for computers with trojans and viruses....schools are locking down their networks to control that sort of thing. My next door neighbor is director of IT at a major college in CT...it's incredible the amount of lockdown they've implemented in the past year. But I understand why...because with out, if the students are left to do as they wish...the network simply wouldn't function.

You are absolutly correct. I have been in the dorms for long enough
to see many changes at my school. I can't stand the idiots that tie up
bandwidth with file sharing software. It was destroying our connection
at school. Last semester, when we would run the game server,
we disconnected ourselves from the network and ran cables across
the hall which greatly increased our speeds.
I was just wanting to use my PII box mainly as a firewall ans server
for my roommate and I.

Thank you all for your info. :D

Back