Server Closet

I'm trying to relocate my server from out in the open into an insulated cabinet with venting.

Preferably something with a spot to mount an AC unit.

The goal here is to eliminate heat and noise. I've been digging around a ton online and I can't find anything that really fits my needs.

I've given some thought to buying a different cabinet and re-purposing it, but I would much rather buy something specifically designed for server storage.

It doesn't need to have rack mounts, as the server is a Dell Tower and the racked switches will be located in a different room.

Anyone know of something like this that's available?

There is no reason to go through all that to cool a single server. As long as the room's ambient temperature is within a reasonable range, i.e. it's not in a metal shed in the backyard in Phoenix in the summer, the server's fan are sufficient to keep it within the operating range which usually peaks out around 125 degrees F.

You don't need a dedicated A/C unit for one server... You would be better off building a quiet server from scratch than pouring money into the project you listed above.

Actually, it would house the server, two UPS, a Zenith BDR and some networking stuff.

You see, right now it's all on an open rack right in front of someone's desk. It's loud and they blow hot air right in his face, not to mention being an eyesore.

I figured if I enclosed it all in a cabinet that some cooling would be necessary. No?

You would be better off just moving the rack full of "stuff" to a closet or just away from people. I think you are over-thinking your problem. You really don't need any fancy forced-air cooling and elaborate rack setup to keep a few random devices within their operating ranges. If it's an office environment you can even stick the equipment in a storage closet and pop a ceiling tile off. Without knowing the lay of the land or knowing all the variables it's hard to make an informed recommendation though.

For example, at home I have almost a dozen routers, switches, etc and a couple servers in a spare walk-in closet. When it gets warm I just crack the door open to drop the ambient down. I close the door when the fans spin down.

Assuming you plan to expand in the future, I would just get a 4 post rack and stick it in a closet, and also put a through the wall AC unit, or even better run two 5 inch ducts (one for return) that leads to another room where an AC unit can be added. This allows you to size the AC appropriately, and easily upgrade it in the future. For one server, simply circulating the air may suffice, but at least you'll have room for future growth.

that thing is nice. probably expensivie.

Yeah, they're expensive, but they work as advertised. At least the one I've seen in person did. Also, when you factor in the cost of running power, cabling and cooling to a new closet, it may be around the same price. :D

Back