Server cabinet cooling

Ur_Mom

Fully [H]
I have a server rack (homemade) that I need to cool. I want to put sides on it, but leave the front and back off. Only part is that I have it in a laundry room. The dryer vents outside, but it still gets warm. Is there a way to keep the stuff cool? Is there a room cooler that isn't a full blown AC unit (laundry room is in an interior room - no walls go outside)? I was able to get this thing, but wife doesn't want it in the main part of the house. Plus, all my wiring comes in right there (security, internet, satellite, Sirius antenna, OTA antenna, phone). Humidity isn't much of an issue, really. I will have a temp/humidity sensor in there and a webcam (just for fun, really... - Home Datacenter).

Maybe just a fan, but I would be blowing warm air over the thing. I only have one server that runs 24/7 and a bunch of Cisco equipment that runs a few hours a day. Cisco switch runs 24/7. I also have a few Dell 2850's that I run occasionally, but not often. The main server is what I am wanting to keep cool. It has air cooling, which I am going to upgrade the cooler on it to have a larger heatsink and fan to maximize cooling...

Are there any semi-decent cooling solutions that would work?

Buy a cheap portable room AC, duct the output outside, and put it on a timer to run at various times for ~30min-1hr.

How hot? Can't be worse than my Florida garage.

gp4n8.jpg

APC UPS temperature:
n608E.png

CPU temperature:
UGA23.png

Cabinet is fully enclosed, and all I have for the time being is a 120mm exhaust fan on the top. I've had servers, routers, etc in the garage for a while I figured I should just stop worrying and get the cabinet and organize everything.

Actually just MRTG with a handwritten config file. I tried out cacti and it seemed too convoluted.

If anything I would recommend you position a fan behind the servers to pull air through the rack. That way you can distribute the hot air from behind the servers throughout the room rather than creating a single hotspot.

Not the best solution but it will work for a lab environment that runs a few hours a day.

on frozen cpu you can buy rackmount fans that plug into a wall plug- they have 80 and 120mm versions for sure, slap 1-2x 120's on the bottom to push air from front to back, put an 80 on the top pushing hot air up and out the rack, and life is good.

on frozen cpu you can buy rackmount fans that plug into a wall plug- they have 80 and 120mm versions for sure, slap 1-2x 120's on the bottom to push air from front to back, put an 80 on the top pushing hot air up and out the rack, and life is good.

when i get my rack, im going to buy the proper size to pull air out the top, but ill be using 12V fans running at 8V to keep it all silent :)

Dash- my rack came with 2- 10" fans in the top :) not using tho- going to but some 120s and a power block for the top maybe- my rack really doesn't keep much heat inside, its a pretty open 4-post. my IBM rack is going back to my brothers. if we can find out how to drop the 300lb weight in the bottom

Dash- my rack came with 2- 10" fans in the top :) not using tho- going to but some 120s and a power block for the top maybe- my rack really doesn't keep much heat inside, its a pretty open 4-post. my IBM rack is going back to my brothers. if we can find out how to drop the 300lb weight in the bottom

300lb weight in the bottom ?

yeah dash, this series has a counterweight in the bottom (Heavy welded piece of steel) so that when you pull servers forward for maintenance, it didnt tip the hell over.

yeah dash, this series has a counterweight in the bottom (Heavy welded piece of steel) so that when you pull servers forward for maintenance, it didnt tip the hell over.

was just about to remove my post, i thought that's what it was for..

Back