Server 2012

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by StefanPeeters, Jun 2, 2014.

1. StefanPeeters

StefanPeeters [H]Lite

Hi everyone,

I have a big challenge. Our establishment is expanding next month from one location to two locations and on both locations we are going to use Server 2012. The intention is that a number of folders should be available in both locations. Users must login with the same credetials on both locations. Since I'm fairly new to networking, I do not know how to get started. I already searched on google but found nothing useful.

Does someone can tell me where to find usefull and easy explained information?

Thanks

2. wizdum

wizdum [H]ard|Gawd

Youtube. When I took my "Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server" course, nearly all the lecture material was on Youtube. I'll try and see if I can dig up the videos today. It sounds like you're going to want a simple domain with two domain controllers, and maybe some caching if the link between the two sites is slow.

3. StefanPeeters

StefanPeeters [H]Lite

Thanks for your swift reply. That is exactly what I have in mind. Videos are welcome.
    Thanks

4. Nate7311

Nate7311 2[H]4U

Look at www.networkingprogramming.com as well. LOTS of good youtube videos organized well. He runs through procedures a little fast for most beginners, great info. Specifically you'll want the section on the right called "Windows Active Directory"

5. wizdum

wizdum [H]ard|Gawd

6. firedrow

firedrow Limp Gawd

DFS (Distributed File System) sounds like what you're wanting. VPN between the sites. If the servers are on different domains, you will need to setup a trust between them, then use DFS to setup a distributed folder set. This will sync folders and contents between sites.

7. Atari911

Atari911 n00bie

I second the Professor Messer site. Packed with useful information and he has a lot of videos on YouTube. You could probably replace a tech school and get the same education by doing a self study on that site. Plus it is a great place to get certification study material if you are ever thinking about going that route.

8. Phog

Phog Limp Gawd

+1 DFS, Single Domain, multiple sites.