Server 2012 R2 as DHCP, a visiting user needs a CAL?!

NetTechie

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of setting up Server 2012 R2 for DHCP and DNS. Apparently the license does not allow a visitor to have an ip assigned to their device unless they have a CAL (I read this on MSDN). I'm sort of stunned. Really? I can't have a friend visit and use my internet if I do this?

Microsoft does not strictly enforce CALs. So legally yes you are correct but Microsoft will never care, especially if its a visitor and not permanent.

I read something from microsoft about this that seemed rather threatening. I'm wondering if I should create a separate network for visitors...

Will you link to this? I thought 2012 R2 licensing didn't even have CALs...

Sorta strict, especially seeing as the original question was phrased "... takeaway never use your Microsoft product?"

Basically it is somewhat impractical, this rule. I think they assume all visitors will be on a non-microsoft separate network.

Well yes do not have your guest network in ANY way linked to your main network, always isolate guest networks, period.

Put the on a separate vlan and let your router or switches handle the DHCP - problem solved.

Yup, that's what I think they had in mind when the licensed it this way. Of course in my case it is a home network, with guests who are trusted friends. But microsoft wasn't thinking home networks. :D

Good reply though. I agree from a security perspective that's how to do it. A trusted friend might not have a trustworthy antivirus for example.

Last edited:
Back