Server 2012 Essentials R2 Client Backup Failure

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Ok, so after a long time working fine, my desktops stopped backing up.

So, as recommended by the TN Article for Client Backup issues, I started the Database Repair Utility in the Dashboard.

It starts, and after a while it fails and says it fails due to an unknown problem. I click the link it provides to find help, and it dumps me in the generic Server2012E page. I've not been able to find any help on this issue.

Any idea's ?

I also ran a SFT /Scannow on the server. The last time I had a client backup issue this fixed it.

Exact Error Wording:

Backup repair did not complete.
An unknown error prevented the backup repair process from starting. Make sure that all services are running then try again.

The services I know to check are indeed running.

I'm running a chkdsk on the pool now just to be sure.

Check that, done with no issues found.

I've decided I've asked far too much from these six 1TB Green drives for far too long. They have been running 24/7 in the server since the week they were made available, and have performed flawlessly until recently. I'm also seeing some disk errors in the event viewer that concern me. This is the second time I've had client backup outages, and it's time to move on.

I ordered a 1TB Red for the boot/server drive (smallest they have) and a single 4TB (originally went with 2 TB, but decided it was time to buy big or not at all) for all the Server Stores.

I'll buy another 4TB or two when finances are a bit stronger.

Gonna tear it all apart and rebuild it up from scratch with new drives this weekend. Drives should be here tomorrow.

I just put my server together how do you like WSE so far? Planning to install it when my internet get re-connected in a couple weeks.

It's easy to install, set up, configure and use.

But, when something like the above happens it can be extremely frustrating due to the lack of troubleshooting documentation you can find at Microsoft. It's like they think it never breaks :)

The documentation is 5 miles wide and 1 " deep. In the above case, if there are issues with the backup, they say "Use the backup database repair tool". Fine. But if that fails or crashes, boy are you on your own.

Drives in, server installed, ready to go.

I can't reboot my desktop PC during productions hours if I can avoid it, so I won't be able to test the backup until tonight. I'm quite sure it will be back to working again.

Must...Install...Connector...Domain...Block :)

WD Advanced Diagnostics reveals indeed at least 1 of the six old drives is bad, and it's one of the one's that was in the pool. 4 have passed. One more to go. 4 hours each to test.

Backup system verified as operational.

Nothing more to see here. Move along... :D

Well thanks for updating the thread with the solution, at least!!

Back