Server 2012 Comparison

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
I'm looking for a detailed Server 2012 comparison, and I haven't been able to find one.

Specifically, I want to know what versions fully support the following:

Client Backup with Bare Metal Restore
Single Instance Store for the backups
Ability to install non-domain (Essentials = a big no on this one :( )

They still haven't fully settled down yet. Just today, they announced some different version of 2012 Essentials BETA in response to all the criticism they received last week about no bottom end box replacement for SBS...so the final products aren't cast in stone yet.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-rele...ntials-beta-fending-off-criticism-7000000788/

Question should probably hold off and be asked again in October...

Yeah, that's one I read but thanks :)

Who knows. Maybe even the domain will be optional by the time it's released. It is a Beta after all !

Yeah, that's one I read but thanks :)

Who knows. Maybe even the domain will be optional by the time it's released. It is a Beta after all !
I haven't been following Server 2012 news. What do you mean by "domain will be optional"?

Server 2012 Essentials can only be installed as a domain server. There is no option to set it up as a workgroup server.

And I just discovered if you run the connector installation on a client machine, it will fuck up yer shit and add that computer to that domain, removing your workgroup settings. No notice, no warning.

What do you mean as a "domain server"? A domain controller, or just as part of a domain? If the latter of the two, I don't quite get the big deal?

Back