Server 2008 shares

xxEIEIOxx

2[H]4U
I am trying to map a drive for a user and am getting the message:
"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:

No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept."

Googling this mostly gives me results for XP exceeding the 10 user limit. I don't see anything that concerns licensing on Server 2008. The shares are set up to the default 16,777 users. The server and the workstation have been rebooted.The clients that were already mapped have no trouble being able to continue to connect. Any thoughts?

I set it up 2 years ago and don't remember. And I don't see any place to check.

It seems to be related to the client machine. I can boot up a VM and connect to the share with the same logon and it works fine. Maybe if I hit his workstation with a hammer...

I thought Server 2008 uses the honor system, so I'm not sure how that applies.

I thought it came "out of the box" with 10 cals, and quite honestly,I wasn't sure if what happened when you had 11 connecting to them. I was kind of digging since I've never seen or heard of this on a server class OS.

I'd check DNS -- ping the machine, and make sure it's resolving to the right IP. Maybe you've got a desktop machine out there with the same name as the server and some people are mapping to that?

I know we are past 10 users and have been for a while. This is a new user that just started today and though I can't map a drive from his workstation, I can map the same drive on a different workstation with his logon. This makes it seem as though it is not a number of users issue, though that is what the error implies. I can find nothing on the server to set aside from the previously mentioned 16,777 users that are allowed to access the share, which is the default setting. After searching half the day for an answer there seems to be nobody I can find having this issue with a server OS, so I still have no clue what is going on.

It's not licensing, so don't go down that road. The connection limits have nothing to do with CAL usage, they are not and have never been tracked.

Can you map the drive if you use \\FQDN\Share or \\IP\Share from the computer that is having the problem? I would try the IP first.

Have you tried mapping it using net use?

Try determining if net use see's a connection. Check the server and client computer. Ensure that there is no open connection.

You may also want to disconnect the computer from the network & the domain, and run the NewSID program. Re-add the machine with the new SID. If you image computers, and do not run a new SID identifier, the computer may have another SID floating around that is identical. That can cause weird issues.

Back