• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Server 2008 R2 On Gaming Rig

bighorn

n00b
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
6
Just a quick question that I have not found a good answer for.

The parts for my new build should be here today and I am torn between using Server 2008 R2 or Win 7

This will primarily be a work PC but I want to do some gaming on it as well. I build LOTS of test environments using virtualization and I am a big fan of Hyper-V.

So my question is can I game on Server 2008 R2 just like I can in Winows 7 Pro?

Does it support SLI, DirectX, etc...

Thanks!
 
Just a quick question that I have not found a good answer for.

The parts for my new build should be here today and I am torn between using Server 2008 R2 or Win 7

This will primarily be a work PC but I want to do some gaming on it as well. I build LOTS of test environments using virtualization and I am a big fan of Hyper-V.

So my question is can I game on Server 2008 R2 just like I can in Winows 7 Pro?

Does it support SLI, DirectX, etc...

Thanks!

I can't answer about SLI, but I have R2 installed on my system running a radeon 5770. I don't have any issues with the OS or games. I've played L4D2, shattered horizon, settlers 7 and CSS on R2. It just takes a bit of tweaking to have it similar to windows 7.

Here is a resource I used for making R2 less server-ish. http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/

Reason I am using R2 is because I got it for free from dreamspark and you cannot beat free (I am a student...).
 
Back
Top