server 2008 folder permissions stumped

viper92086

Gawd
So i am very confused at why my server 2008 is hating me right now. Here is what i have

I have domain users Jennifer and John, and an administrator named Bryan.

I have a shared folder called share. Inside this folder i have another folder called test.
The permissions to the share folder are as follows: administrator(full control), adminstrators(full control), domain users (read and execute).

The permissions to the test folder are as follows: (full control), adminstrators(full control), domain users (full control).

I now log into another computer that is not on the domain, but i go ahead and connect to the server and access the shared folder. I enter the credentials for John and viola, i now have access to read the folder. I cannot write into the folder or make any modifications to anything in that folder. So i try the same thing with Jennifer's account. Same issue.

I go ahead and add Jennifer to the test folder. The permissions to the test folder are as follows: (full control), adminstrators(full control), domain users (full control), Jennifer (full control).

I log back in using jennifer. I still cannot write anything into the folder. What the hell is going on?

I log into Bryan from the same computer that is not on the domain and Bryan has complete control as expected.

Can someone explain to me what i am doing wrong? I have the same configuration in server 2003 and it has worked fine in the past.

There are two different permissions that you have to worry about when sharing. There are NTFS permissions and Share permissions. You can give someone all the rights in the world at the folder (NTFS), but if you don't give them permission at the share, they're not going to be able to write anything to it.

Try to change your share to everyone/Full Control and I think it's going to fix your problem. The default permission on the share is everyone:read. The least restrictive permission will always apply, so even though you're giving everyone full control of the folder, your share is only going to ever let them have read.

I think you just solved my simple problem. I guess after you stare at the same thing for so long you forget to take a step back. thanks

What I've always been told is share it to everyone, and then edit the NTFS permissions on the actual files. You could use that tip for the most part, but if you want it more secure you could lock it down further. Then if you have a user logging on say the server (local logins should be disabled for users on the server though, only admins) they can't access other peoples files locally.

Back