Server 2003: TS gateway

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Does terminal services gateway require extra licensing?

I have about 40 users that need RDP access to their boxes and was thinking about setting up a TS gateway, but one of my associates said we cant afford the licensing.

I dont want to start manually forwarding and opening ports on my firewall so users can have RDP access.

Would VPN + RDP (directly to the user's machine) not work for your situation?

Trying to avoid VPN because we dont want to support peoples home computers.

Just to answer the question, is your main server Small Business Server?
The Remote Web Workplace portal is such a cool feature of SBS. I wish Microsoft would make it a free standalone product, sorta like Sharepoint or WSUS. Heck..they could even make it a pay for product and I'd be able to sell it.

Just to answer the question, is your main server Small Business Server?
The Remote Web Workplace portal is such a cool feature of SBS. I wish Microsoft would make it a free standalone product, sorta like Sharepoint or WSUS. Heck..they could even make it a pay for product and I'd be able to sell it.

No we are using 2003 Standard.
We have around 200 employees across multiple entities, but only about 40 need RDP access.
Just from a SOX, and PCI compliance standpoint managing manually set entries and everything will just become a PITA as we grow.

TS Gateway and App publishing would be easier. There is an article somewhere i was reading that walked you through all of it.. trying to remember where it is now. If I find it I'll post it, but just google it. Thats how I found it

If you don't want to support home computers, (Which i don't blame you) i would look into a SSL VPN, you can configure it for each user and give them RDP to their desktops right from the browser.

If you don't want to support home computers, (Which i don't blame you) i would look into a SSL VPN, you can configure it for each user and give them RDP to their desktops right from the browser.

Here here! So nice and problem free, versus something like IPSec clients. I love the Juniper ones.

Yes, it does (That's what I've always been told). It's kindof like Exchange, you have the Windows CALs but you've also got to have Exchange (IE, TS) CALs as well.

I'm personally still waiting for something web-based. A website users can hit, they login- see their machine online- connect to it remotely from anywhere. Kindof like a LogMeIn but for remote users...
SBS offers this to some extent but those of us on Standard are SOL.

2nd the SSL VPN, last job i was at used the Juniper SSL VPN/webpage deal....couldnt have been easier for the user. no actual client to use short of going to a website and inputting their creds....worst problem i had to deal with for that was the occasional RSA token would need re-synced.

As far as I can tell, it requires a TS CAL and a Windows server CAL. I don't think it would make financial sense to use it with to connect to end user workstations.

Yes, it does (That's what I've always been told). It's kindof like Exchange, you have the Windows CALs but you've also got to have Exchange (IE, TS) CALs as well.

I'm personally still waiting for something web-based. A website users can hit, they login- see their machine online- connect to it remotely from anywhere. Kindof like a LogMeIn but for remote users...
SBS offers this to some extent but those of us on Standard are SOL.

Yea thats exactly what i want as well.

hmmm i am going to have to figure something out.

Back