server 2003 permissions issue

Drake

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all. I'm having issues locking down the security on a win2k3 server. Before I get started, here's the folder structure:
Code:
Shares
+---Accounting
+---Administrative
|   +---Employee Info
|   |   +---user1
|   |   |---user2
|   |	|---user3
|   |   \---user4
|   +---Human Resources
|   +---Operations
|   \---Purchasing
+---Clients
+---Engineering
+---Public
\---Work Orders
    +---Active
    |   \---Backlogged
    +---Completed
    \---New

Only members of specific groups will have access to each of the folders on the root of the path, and only a few members will have access to the Administrative folder at all. I'm trying to set up a home drive for the employees under /Administrative/Employee Info/%username%, with the requirements being that no one save administrators and the specific employee being able to view/read/write to that directory. So far I've tried giving only Administrators and the specific user full access, but for some reason the user is then unable to write to the folder.

This could also be solved by being able to use different logon scripts depending on what group users are a member of, but I'm not sure if that's possible. Any help much appreciated!

Should anyone find themselves in the same quandry, I ended up using ifmember.exe (in a win2k3 toolkit) in a batch file to determine which folders should be directly mounted, instead of trying to limit access per user to the whole share.

Back