Server 2003 licensing problem

Every month or two I install updates and reboot this W2K3 server running active directory. After the system comes back up the 100 CAL license is gone. When I try to re-enter the license using domain admin account or local administrator account I get the error, "You do not have the appropriate access privilege to complete this operation." This stays like this for around 15 minutes or so then after that time period I can suddenly enter the license and it works until the next reboot whenever that occurs. Nothing showing up in event viewer.

I've looked up the error on the internet and few answers to be found. The one thing I did find indicated a corrupt licensing file and there's a MS support article which steps through the process of recreating the license logging on the server. Only thing is I've read a few comments which state other problems may result if I do that. I don't want to take a chance of screwing up the system which runs great despite this one issue. Plus I am able to re-enter the licensing eventually so it doesn't appear totally corrupt, it just doesn't seem to work immediately after a reboot.

Lot's of complaints on licensing in Windows Server and apparently even Microsoft realized a problem and have dropped the feature in Server 2008. I read some suggestions to simply turn off license logging, but I thought if I did that my clients would be unable to connect to the server after 5 or 10 connections. Can anyone confirm this would occur if I turned off license logging?

with 03 sbs is the only one that cares about the licensing service running. You should be able to disable it and be fine.

Back