Server 2003 DC promo issue

Traze

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

Started a new job, it's pretty sweet.

We ordered a new server before they guy I replaced left, and I am have a problem promoting it to a domain controller, as a backup.

I have all the rights etc, but it says I need to run adprep first, on the original DC I am guessing, as that at least tries to work.

When I do that it says I need to be a member of the Schema and Enterprise groups, which I am.

The reson it wants me to do all this, is it says the AD versions are not the same, but Windows update doesn't seem to be any help, and my searching finds very little relevant, and nothing helpful so far.

Thanks for any help,

Traze

What is the old DC running currently? Also, make sure your new Server 2003 box is a member of the domain before you try to use DCPROMO. It won't promote itself from a Workgroup.

Yeah, probably need to run adprep /forestprep and then adprep /domainprep, you'll need to do that on the old domain controller using the new 2003R2 disk. It should be in the Cmpnents\r2\adprep folder on the 2nd disk. Had to do this when I migrated from 2003 to 2003 R2.

Back