Server 2003 Compression problem

kirk121

Limp Gawd
When I ran a disk cleanup on my system, on my data drive it is showing 50GB of compressed old files. I never compressed anything on my system, now all of a sudden I have a huge amount of compressed files showing up. I dont want to delete anything because I dont know what files it is talking about that are compressed.

when I click on the compressed old files folder under disk clean up it tells me that windows does this to files that are not accessed for awhile. when I click on options for the compressed old files it shows that it is set up for files that have not been accessed for 50 days to compress them.

Is there any way to turn this off?:confused::mad:

This is the same way that it shows up when I right click on one of the compressed files and this is the process to compress/uncompress the files.
http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-vista/how-to-use-ntfs-compression-in-vista/

I called a friend and he had me run the compact /u /s /i * command in the dos prompt and it said it was decompressing the folders but when I re-run the disk cleanup utility it still shows the same amount of compressed files.

When you defrag (typically using the built-in defragger in Windows, all versions) it'll compress files to save space depending on how long it's been since they were last accessed. I'm not sure how to specifically disable this feature, or even if it can be disabled, but usually those files are there for a reason, just compressed to save some space, and hopefully they'll be there if and when they're called upon.

On today's high powered machines, NTFS compression/decompression is practically in real-time with no noticeable - if even measurable - hit in performance. I'd say what I've been saying a lot lately about Windows in general:

Leave it alone.

When you defrag (typically using the built-in defragger in Windows, all versions) it'll compress files to save space depending on how long it's been since they were last accessed. I'm not sure how to specifically disable this feature, or even if it can be disabled, but usually those files are there for a reason, just compressed to save some space, and hopefully they'll be there if and when they're called upon.

On today's high powered machines, NTFS compression/decompression is practically in real-time with no noticeable - if even measurable - hit in performance. I'd say what I've been saying a lot lately about Windows in general:

Leave it alone.

Well this is not on the C:\ partition it is on my E:\, and on my D:\ second drive.

So I have 2 hard drives one with C:\ and E:\ partitions, and a second hard drive that is D:\.

My os partition does not seem to have this problem.

On my E:\ partition it has about 50GB of compressed files, and my D: drive has almost 74GB of compressed files. I have never seen this before, E: and D: dont ever have anything installed on them they are just for file storage.

And after I ran this command: compact /u /s /i * , the files that I noticed that were blue and showing up as compressed were no longer blue or compressed. But disk cleanup is still showing a huge amount of compressed old files. And I even restarted my server but it still shows the same amount of files

Have you bothered to look at some of the files, try and figure out precisely what they are and whether they're worth keeping around at all? Just curious...

Have you bothered to look at some of the files, try and figure out precisely what they are and whether they're worth keeping around at all? Just curious...

I am not sure where they all are, some I have found but alot I am not sure of where they are located. Disk cleanup does not tell me where all the files are located:(. The ones I found were file backup's of things I want to keep just dont use every day.

I do have a fair amount files to go through so it would take for ever to cover every directory that I have. And like I said after I ran that command the ones that I found that were blue/compressed were no longer compressed or blue.

And I have been running this system / setup for awhile and it just started happening with in the last few weeks or so. And like I said I didnt compress the drive or any files to start with.

And I am fairly sure it is not a virus, because some of the files were txt files and I did what the website I posted said to do but tack the check mark out of the box and it un-compressed just fine and stayed that way even after I restarted the system.

Update: and also the files were showing attributes of AC when they were blue which I dont remember seeing before this started

For SpaceMonger how do you know if the files are compressed or not?

And I should say windows compressed not zip or rar files.

Try this or this to find out what those files are, and more importantly where.

Like I said, I think the command that I ran uncompressed them. I just am not sure why disk cleanup is showing that they are still compressed.

And what started this, I have been running this for more than 50 days and then for some reason this problem started

UPDATE: Never mind, after a second reboot all the compressed files are gone,

Well thanks for the help

After a second reboot the compressed old files are showing 0 just like it always use to, on E and D.

After getting windows server 2003 to uncompress all of the files it compressed, I am still wondering if there is a way to prevent this from happening again.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop it from auto compressing files without me telling it to do so?

Back