Server 08 R2 + SP1 + SVGA

tgabe213

2[H]4U
Server 08's standard VGA drivers are like the following:
Microsoft recommends to use default VGA drivers (shipped with Windows Server 2008) on the host systems instead of manufacturer supplied ones,[28] however, such drivers, in turn, do not support multiple displays and high resolution configurations, as well as Aero, DirectX, Hardware-accelerated video decoding and other graphic accelerated features, thereby limiting its use on workstations (default VGA drivers do not support e.g. resolutions higher than 1280*1024).

Here's
a posting about SP1's 'Remote FX'. I'm not an expert in the area, but I'm wondering if there will be any enhancement to the SVGA drivers built into Server with this SP?

you can always load any video drivers you want. they do not recomend doing so as video drivers are the cause of the vast majority of system crashes, and for server operations that is a bad thing.
if you are using it as a workstation go ahead and do anything you want. enable the "Desktop Experience" role and have at it.

I have not had an issues using drivers in Server 2008 x64 & Server 2008 R2 x64.

Both my Matrox & ATI cards work great with the manufactures drivers.

SpoonMan is correct that normally, in a server environment, video drivers are not important since the systems is not used on a daily bases physically.

I know you can load anything you want. Our new Dell Precision M6500 laptops with Quadro 2800m video drivers BSOD when installing any driver for them. They BSOD on boot after restarting. This is a known issue that has been going on for a while. I think it's the high end nvidia cards + Server 08 R2.

That's why I'm curious about the SVGA drivers that will be built in to OS.

Back