Seriously considering switching sides...

Thanks a bunch for all the helpful replies! But now I'm all confused again..G5 or Intel? I am mainly going to be using it for graphic design (posters, wallpapers, vector art, etc) and photography. From what I'm hearing, the G5 is better at those things. Of course, I'm also going to be doing basic tasks, but from what I've seen the G5 really isn't much slower than the Intel. The biggest reason I would want to get an Intel is that it's BC compatible. Of course, the only reason I would use that is gaming, which is a relatively low priorety. And the G5 certainly fits my price point better...

Edit: Panther will run on a G5, right?

At this time, a G5 is probably a better choice for graphics work. I would recomend getting a dual-processor Power Mac from Ebay. Yes, a G5 will run Panther, but why would you want to run that old thing? Tiger is better.

My graphic work isn't going to be intense enough to justify a PowerMac, at least for a few years. And they're beyond my budget; even the refurbished Intel G5 is really pushing it. I didn't mean Panther..I meant whatever the new OS is. But it's irrelevant anyway, since BC will only work on an Intel beta or no beta. :p

i know 6 guys that had g5's or dual g5's and went intel

all 6 of them make daily points to regard how fast the core duo is.

theres a 7th guy actually but hes got a quad and a macbook pro. he says theyre both good, given that hes got a quad he dont count =p

Yeah, I'm pretty positive about going with an Intel at this point. Probably the 17" model, unless the 20" completely wows me. :D

Things to note for if/when you get your Mac:

1. Boot Camp is a public beta right now, not final. In other words, there's the slight chance that something might not work quite right, and that there may not be a final version which would still run in Tiger (they may save the final version for Leopard). Backup your copy of the Boot Camp installer in case you need to revert, and backup any important data in OS X and Windows in case anything goes wrong.

2. Get used to the concept of disk image (.dmg) files. A good way to think of them is as ISO files that you can open easily and treat almost like ZIP files. One of the most common first-time mistakes is to believe that you have to run apps from their disk images, since there often isn't an explicit installer or instruction set. What you actually do to install is to drag the program icon from the disk image to the Applications folder on your hard drive. You can also copy over any other files that came along with the app, if you think you'll need them.

3. The window title bar buttons don't do exactly what they do in Windows, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The red button usually only closes the window, not usually the app. You usually need to go to the program's self-titled menu (ex. "Photoshop") and choose Quit if you want to exit out entirely. But closing the window without closing the app means you can have an app preloaded in memory without having a window getting in the way. Green isn't a maximize button; it's a "zoom" button. It tries to expand the window to make a best fit for the content, which is often less than full screen. iTunes uses this button for the compact player mode; it's a lot handier than hitting Ctrl-M in Windows!

Back