4) after completing the first WU, getting eternal error

Preparing to commence simulation
- Looking at optimizations...
- Created dyn
- Files status OK
Error: Work unit read from disk is invalid

Folding@home Core Shutdown: BAD_FILE_FORMAT
CoreStatus = 6F (111)
+ The core could not recognize the format of the provided work file.
Deleting current work unit & continuing...

this simply continues. In the past deleting the queue and work folder, along with all the core files fixed the problem. Now it seems like the only thing that works is kicking off the core manually after deleting everything fromt he folder.

the only peculiarities of these systems is that windows simple file sharing is off, that is, there are no guest permissions set on the folder. I wouldn't think that matters since the process runs under SYSTEM and the folder has explicit rights set for SYSTEM, but it's the only unusualy thing different from most installs I can think of.

These systems are AMD64 939 san diego, p4 northwood 2.6 w/HT, and AMD sempron socket A, so no specific platform either. One is dedicated to just folding, one is a file/HTPC that is rarely in use, and the other is my fiance's rig, spends most of the time idle as well.

Mohonri

Supreme [H]ardness
That seems weird, yes. Go ahead and delete everything, defrag, and then start from scratch. You might also ask over at the folding community forums.

thedude42

Limp Gawd
Well, I was about to just give up, but I solved the problem. This may be an extreme solution, but it works:

1) brought up a win2k3 active directory domain
2) added all my windows machines to the domain (including my dad's machine, connecting to the domain controller via net-net ipsec tunnel that's always up)

problem solved. since adding all of these machines to the domain there have been absolutely no errors what so ever, where as every client was displaying the same error (BAD_FILE_FORMAT) as stand alone workstations.