serious problem with ZIP files

okay, i installed some crapass freeware zip program a while ago. i don't recall the name of it. , but anyway i decided it sucked so i uninstalled it. here is the problem:
1) windows XP did not revert back to using it's own zip utility.
2) when i try to open a zip file with winzip and check the box that says "use this program every time" it does not remember to use the program every time.
3) if i go to tools --> folder options --> file types i do not have ZIP extensions listed in there. when i try to manually add it it will seem like it works, but then i click okay and close it. nothing has improved, and if i go back to folder options --> file types the entry i just added for zip files is gone!
4) i went through my registry to try to find any entries for "zip" and see if i could fix this the hard way. under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT there is a .ZIP registry key. when i click on any of the other keys in this section they are all fine. when i click on the .ZIP key windows says "Cannot open .ZIP. Error opening key."
5) if i try to delete the key so i can recreate it i get the same msg.

can someone please help?

TIA,
big boi

I thought the built in windows zip tool was Compressed Folder.

sorry for the confusion. the built-in program is compressed folder. i only mentioned winzip in my post because i also have that installed and since Compressed Folder does not work i need to use winzip.

as a point of note, i can open zip files with winzip. but it will not do it automatically. i have to go through the whole "choose a program to open this file with" BS every time. i cannot associate zip files with winzip, the built-in windows XP program, or anything else.

What happens when you run "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll" in a command prompt in the c:\windows\system32 directory?

How about running something like RegScrubXP to clean up after that crapass software? Anytime I uninstall something, I run RegScrubXP once to clean up.

i get an error message saying "RegSrv (or whatever it calls it) failed. Exit code: 0x2903890890" except i made that exit code up. i have run registry cleaners. you'll note that i am having a problem with the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ZIP key. when registry cleaners run they see the key and will say they successfully deleted it if i ask them to. but when i go to regedit (or run the same program again) the key is still there. if i could just kill that reg key i'm sure i could fix this.

Back