• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Serious flash performance issues with a radeon 6870

SonicTron

Snopes is My Fact Checker
Joined
Mar 9, 2000
Messages
5,894
I imagine theres some terrific reason for this.

-fresh install
-in firefox, hardware acceleration on and off
-adobe flash settings for hw accel tried on and off
-did not have anything close to these issues with a simple 9600 GSO

There is lag. Significant lag. I cannot any longer run a flash video / stream in one monitor and also have another flash stream or game on another monitor. Both crawl to a slow and lag and hiccup like crazy.

I'm not sure if there is some easy fix or patch or suggestion but anything would be nice.

edit: windows 7, i7 2600K, 16gb ram, SSD, none of these things should be the problem since I didn't have any problems with the previous video card. Also, when I change tab focus from a flash app to a regular webpage, the other flash app will instantly come up to full speed with no lag.
 
Nobody has any clues? Nobody else tries running multiple flash apps in different windows? I've tried eyefinity on, off, only using 2 monitors, diff drivers, newest flash. The performance is horrendous and unacceptable :(
 
Nobody else tries running multiple flash apps in different windows?

I run multiple Starcraft 2 streams all the time without issue (while running the game). I just am not sure what could be wrong on your end. We also have similar rigs. Are you running weird CCC settings for smooth video or anything? Assuming you are up to date and got rid off all of the NV drivers. You do want HW acceleration off. I use both Chrome and Firefox. You may want to make sure Firefox's GPU hardware acceleration is turned off -- I believe the new version uses that.
 
Maybe it's a hardware issue. I started experiencing the same thing and shortly after my card started artifacting while gaming, crashing and I had to overvolt it to keep it stable.

I swapped that 6870 out for a 6970 and everything is gravy. I can game, watch shit on youtube at the same time and my eyefinity setup now works properly.

It could be something as simple as software but maybe their is something wrong with your card cause it should be able to do what you're requesting.
 
Another thing is that it causes a shitload of static through my soundcard. The static increases with heavier graphic load, and happens when scrolling webpages, highlighting text, etc. Fucking weird.
 
That always happens with cheaper motherboards, because the sound processors aren't shielded properly, they are picking up interference from the electrical signal activity through the rest of the board. What you're hearing usually, is an audio version of what's being drawn on the display!
 
Eh I tried sticking 2D clocks to max, no go. I found that if I open flash / streams in different browsers, there is no lag issue. What the fuck man...
 
I think something must be broken with hardware acceleration in this version of firefox...
 
I think something must be broken with hardware acceleration in this version of firefox...

I think you're right. Going to switch to chrome for a while. Opening 3-4 flash apps pretty much deadlocks anything flash in firefox now, what a pain in the ass.

edit: nope, chrome does the same thing as firefox. But again, using chrome for one page and firefox for the other = 0 lag at all and 100% smooth playback. Shit's fucked up, guess I'll just try different drivers.
 
Last edited:
Just disable HW acceleration? I find flash to be too finicky and unstable. Turning off HW acceleration fixed all my problems. Full screening videos now is instant and no lag (3 sec or so with HW accel on). That 2600K will have no problems. I'd only run GPU acceleration on slow devices (ATOM, E350 etc).
 
I have to disable GPU accelerated flash. It just causes me untold aggravation if I don't...
 
I have turned off hardware acceleration in the browser and in the latest flash and it's still crap. I've tried the past 3 iterations of catalyst drivers and turned off ALL of the 3D and Video settings in the control center and it fixed a few quirks but did nothing for the performance. Not sure whats going on...
 
You shouldn't have tried to flash the card to a 6970. It's risky for the memory timings. That might be why you're getting slower performance. The chips are burning out. Will it brick?


Just kidding. :D
 
Back
Top