Serious Download Problem With My PC

palmboy5

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, one of my PCs has been behaving very strangely for a couple months now. Simply put, any download has a 90% chance of randomly stopping before the download has finished. It started with just a few downloads failing, but now they all fail and even loading webpages seems too large for whatever's causing this. AIM appears to work perfectly fine though and its file transfer and direct connect do not seem to be affected.

Below is an image of my network layout:
http://www.mylilsite.net/images/networkmap2.jpg
The PC with the problems is called Tolchester (it's a Toledo core with half L2 enabled, making it like a Manchester, go figure :p ) and none of my other PCs show such symptoms. I have reformatted the PC a few times already and the problem seems to exist even at a bare OS install.

This PC has basically become useless in terms of web surfing, and I am in dire need of you guys' expertise >_<
How can I fix this?

First question is the Linksys BEFSR41 - are you just using it as a switch (only plugging into the 4 LAN ports)?

Second question is are the wireless clients seeing any problems at all?

The BEFSR41 is running with DHCP turned off using only the 4 LAN ports (same with the wireless router, the 4100 has DHCP turned on)

No the wireless clients are fine, which should mean the Linksys router isnt at fault... I'll note now that I have used a USB WiFi adapter and a Netgear 10/100 PCI adapter on the Tolchester and still had the download problems for both.

i'm not familiar with the features of the BEFSR41, but are you doing any MAC address filtering?

have you also tried using another NIC in the problem machine, or tried a different network cable?

No, the only things I changed from its default are its IP address and turning off DHCP.

Back