Serious Bug found in Core 2 Duo, Intel and Microsoft release patch

dekard

2[H]4U
From Digg:
Serious Bug found in Core 2 Duo, Intel and Microsoft release patch

So, the story is that some engineers at Dell found an issue with their servers and started talking to Intel and Microsoft. A huge bug was found in the Core 2 Duo and they released a patch for Windows to fix it. Its being called a 'reliability update', YA RIGHT! Anyway, there's a link to the Microsoft patch page at the bottom of the article.

Looks important to me.

At this point its not available on Windows Update, perhaps eventually it will be.

It sure would be nice to find details on the bug and what its symptoms are.

that article has been updated, look at the bottom and it says there... causes bsods, non responsive keyboards and mouse and a bunch of other stuff.

HP said:
Intel has provided a microcode update as a critical software fix. This Intel microcode update addresses an improper Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB) invalidation that may result in unpredictable system behavior such as system hangs or incorrect data. OEM's are making available a system BIOS upgrade that integrates a new version of this Intel microcode to address this potential but extremely rare issue. While the occurrence of this issue is extremely rare, OEM's strongly recommends upgrading the system BIOS to an updated version. Intel has indicated that the microcode update has no known measurable performance impact and provides a complete and comprehensive resolution to this issue.

The issues can affect any workstation that uses Intel Core2 Duo desktop processor E4000 and E6000 sequences, Intel Core2 Quad desktop processor Q6600 and Intel Core2 Extreme processors X6800 and QX6700 processors.

While the implications of the issue are difficult to quantify, any of the following symptoms can occur:

The system may stop responding to keyboard or mouse input.
A system operating in a Microsoft Windows environment may generate a blue screen.
A system operating in a Linux environment may generate a kernel panic.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...bu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts

Edit: Beaten! :D

it says the update does not apply to my system, wth? running vista x64 and e6400.

it says the update does not apply to my system, wth? running vista x64 and e6400.
It was probably already patched by your motherboard BIOS or from a previous update. This is the same TLB erratum reported back in March/April.

The patch installed for me under Vista Business x64 with an E4300.

Nope. It's for anyone with a Core processor (other than Yonah) who hasn't had the flaw fixed up with a mobo BIOS update already. Far as I'm aware there's a 'fix' been provided to Linux users as well as to other Windows version users.

I wonder if this was causing the weird NMI errors I occasionally was seeing with my Core Duo 2 laptop. I am updating my bios now.

So this is only for Vista users?
XP, Vista, WS2003 in 32/x64 flavors on MS's web site.

It also affects Linux and Apple has probably already rolled it up into an update.

Back