Serial port networking

TheCommander

2[H]4U
I've looked through some sites on google but still have not got my question answered- is it possible to network a PC to a laptop using a serial cable? And if so, is it as easy as just hooking up the serial cable to both?

"yes", but it's not easy.

In linux, it's just another serial device. The problem would be marrying a layer3 protocol with your layer 1/2 abomination. I'm not sure how is the problem. The easiest way, I think, would be to make a fake ppp tunnel using the serial device.

*shrug*

you need a null modem serial cable, I've done it but its been years. Seems like in the old win 9x days you configured it using the direct cable connection wizard or something like that. Don't know exactly how you would do it on a modern OS. Its pretty slow too. parallel port is faster. hope that helps in some way :)

you need a null modem serial cable, I've done it but its been years. Seems like in the old win 9x days you configured it using the direct cable connection wizard or something like that. Don't know exactly how you would do it on a modern OS. Its pretty slow too. parallel port is faster. hope that helps in some way :)

I did the same thing years ago and it was "painfully" slow to move large files. :( Serial port = slow. ;) You might have a hard time finding or making a null modem cable too. If both PC's have NIC's in them get yourself a crossover network cable and network them that way. There are also lots of guides to be found on how to do it that way.

Back