Separate NIC card for gaming build?

Jon55

2[H]4U
I did a search on this, but turned up empty for the most part. But if this has already been covered, stop me now.

Is a non-onboard NIC card worth the money for gaming? NIC cards such as KillerNIC? Benchmark here: http://www.nordichardware.com/Reviews/?page=10&skrivelse=524

I came across this post in my search:

I use one... it doesnt do much with XP, but its like night&day with Vista because Vista has such crappy network latency. That is something I know killer/bigfoot claims, but I must say, I notice it as well... vista lags on me in FPS shooters. Vista was made for throughput, not latency... that is why it seems.

Is this true about Vista? The reason I started this thread is because I want to know if it's worth buying an ethernet LAN card for a machine that does a lot of gaming, such as WoW. I'm currently using my mobo's built-in NIC (the mobo, Gigabyte, is about a year old).

Are you experiencing any problems with your current NIC? There were problems with Vista initially where big file copies were slow (might still be I do not run Vista), but that was an OS issue and not hardware.

Personally, I haven't heard anything on the KillerNIC that makes it worth it over the $10-$20 you can buy anywhere. Basically, If you aren't having any performance issues then why waste the money.

BTW, I run the onboard NIC on my ABit mobo with no problems and I play WoW.

Are you experiencing any problems with your current NIC? There were problems with Vista initially where big file copies were slow (might still be I do not run Vista), but that was an OS issue and not hardware.

Personally, I haven't heard anything on the KillerNIC that makes it worth it over the $10-$20 you can buy anywhere. Basically, If you aren't having any performance issues then why waste the money.

BTW, I run the onboard NIC on my ABit mobo with no problems and I play WoW.

Sorry, should of clarified that bit. I'm currently using my mobo's built-in NIC (the mobo, Gigabyte, was made about a year ago so it's still pretty new). And yeah, it doesn't have to be the KillerNIC (which at like $299 is insane), but just any separate NIC card.

I'm using the built in NIC on both my Gigabyte board and my Dell and both work fine I suffer more from fps lag then internet lag (when charter is working correctly that is.) Like the others said if you are not having issues with the ob NIC don't waste the money on something that isn't going to improve your situation.

Back