Separate drives for OS and storage

well simply put if in the even your system crashes for what ever reason.. all your data is on the secondary drive. so all you would have to do is format/reinstall or in hd crash replace the drive. . with minimal data loss
 
What mikey said.

Also, it goes back to the fact that Windows likes to do stuff in the background and thrash around on that OS drive. Keeping Windows on a seperate drive helps to ensure smooth recording and playback. This is standard practice for Video Editing computers.

It also makes upgrading easier.
 
I do it just because of a cleaner OS drive. Only things stored on it are my installed programs and pictures.

Also does make a speed difference, I have noticed a cluttered drive is slower.
 
wella cluttered drive is only slower due to the fragmentation.
for instance i have 2 raptors i used to use in raid 0 now i runn them standard ide but for my
vmachines. i have one drive for my disc images and the other to use as the vmachin hd.
therefore my thruput is amazing. its really how you plan it.

besides i havent installed a game or program from the disc in yrs. moment i buy a new game or program i image it with alcohol. ***I OWN IT*** and leave it on a secondary drive. so when i mount and install it. its using the using a diff drive to read from and my main drive to install too.

now if i was able to get my hands on pc-angel software which unless your a company/system (*ie:gateway/emachine/hp/compaq*) builder u can create a fully automated back up partition. to install your system from scratch and best part is it only takes roughly 25 min till fresh desktop.

however i do run acronis truimage which in a way i like more cause i can install fresh tweak the system to how i want it. image it to a recovery partition so when time comes around to reinstall i can reimage and have all drivers for most part already loaded.
 
Protection of your media collection, smooth playback when Windows starts needlessly hitting the drive.

I run a Raptor as my boot drive, and a large RAID-5 array for storage.
 
I have my recorded TV and OS on the same drive, different partitions though.
250GB (232GB) -- C: = 20GB, D: = 212GB.

On the TV partition (D) I have the cluster size much larger to help with fragmentation. In MCE it's about 3gb/hr for TV and we watch then delete it. HD is even larger. I also have the machine set up to defrag automatically every week.
 
Back
Top