SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

This issue is usually a problem not with the type of the socket itself (hex) but with size of the screw. M3 is a really small screw. Even if we wanted to predict some of the issues by using almost highest class of screws (10.9 while in our application even 4.6 would be enough), this is still a very small screw. It means if you use too much force to fasten it, there is a possiblity you will damage the socket... just like with other types of screws. That is one of the reasons why we added hand wrench instead of hex driver bit.

Makes sense. I was probably too vigorous during assembly. The good news is that it's just the screw that's stripped - there appears to be zero damage to the case. (Other than the tiny scratch I made, but that's totally unnoticeable.)

There are several solutions to solve your problem. Everything depends on what level of damage you are (as i know your impatience, at this moment there is almost no screw head to work with :) ):

1. If the socket isn't "working" properly, but you didn't damage it too much, you can try to use the star wrench of the same size or one size higher.
2. If the socket is so damaged that it changed its dimension to the higher hex size, use bigger hex bit and add some pressure while unscrewing it. It is very possible you will need to use electric tool for this operation, and if you are lucky, thanks to the friction you will be able to unscrew your screw.
3. If there is still some socket, then you could go to your local tools shop and ask for "broken screw extractor tool set" for small size screws, and show them one of the screws. Such tool works like left-hand screw and it should help in such situation. Example, Example 2.
4. If the socket is damaged so badly that you don't have anything to work with, you can use a dremmel and make a narrow gap for flat screwdriver. You have to do it very gentle to not damage the surface around the screw.
5. If the socket is damaged in the way that you ask yourself "what socket", then your options are very limited. You can use an industrial glue used for fastening steel elements and waste some hex bit by fastening it to the screw.
6. If you are at this point, then probably welder is the only tool which would help you :(

Good luck!

The socket appears to be pretty much rounded out; I have no idea how this happened without my noticing - though I'm sure I aggravated the situation last night by trying repeatedly to remove it using the allen wrench.

The broken screw extractor is a fascinating little tool - I'll try and hunt one down today. If not, *gulp,* dremel time it is.

You could fill the stripped socket completely with a strong epoxy like jb weld and make a new socket indentation/imprint using the screw driver/wrench before it dries. Then use the wrench to unscrew it as normal after the expoxy hardens.

Huh, I will give that a try first, actually. That seems like the most likely / easiest possibility.

Thanks so much for the quick replies, you guys; I love the community that's grown up around this case.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey there! Looks like my Sentry is on the way. I'm looking at the Corsair SF600 to power my rig in this case. Any recommendations from you fine folks on lengths of custom cables from Cable Mod? I feel like getting flexible cables will be a boon in and of itself already (the last time I installed the Corsair, I had a really tough time with the ribbon-style cables), but if I can cut some length here and there to make more room in the case, all the better.

Hey there! Looks like my Sentry is on the way. I'm looking at the Corsair SF600 to power my rig in this case. Any recommendations from you fine folks on lengths of custom cables from Cable Mod? I feel like getting flexible cables will be a boon in and of itself already (the last time I installed the Corsair, I had a really tough time with the ribbon-style cables), but if I can cut some length here and there to make more room in the case, all the better.
What order number are you?

It's hard to know what lengths will work until you know which motherboard and which GPU you're looking at.

So I've got a story and some photos I'll type up tomorrow. One somewhat significant adventure with the screws (which I'm not fond of, but everything is fixed now) and one tidbit that you might be entertained enough by to put in your newsletter. ;)

This is really interesting. I like Guru3D's overview and it sounds like the increased temperature range and shock resistance are built for use-cases like the Sentry: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/adata-adss-industrial-grade-im2p3388-pcie-m-2-nvme-ssd.html

Nice find! Now to have them finish so we can figure out the price!

I have emailed Adata and they replied
Unfortunately it is super expensive !
For the 1TB industrial grade M.2 nvme part number IM2P3388-001TC :

$ 814

Did anyone tried or considered a Xigmatek Janus?

xigmatek_janus_1.jpg

Seems to be rated 140 TDP and the amount of heatpipes look attractive. It should fit with a single fan configuration (i.e. bottom fan pushing out) at 45mm height.

There's also Scythe Kozuti that seems to perform better than Noctua.

Also, is the LP53 mounting similar to the Noctua and thus could utilize the same AM4 bracket?

Last edited:
At last, my sentry arrived(3rd patch). After couple hours of hex screwing I did manage to assembly whole thing.

One little warning to those who wants to use the GPU compartment for hdd's, make sure that you connect everything before you screw the part into case.

my brief setup spec:
i7 7700
Lp53+NF-A9
msi aero gtx 1060 itx

imo temps are great, in games gpu was 72 C max and CPU was around 60.

Cpu went up to 70 C while stress testing, but I really don't mind that becuz this baby is only for gaming.

sdph5y.jpg
2e0vdx5.jpg

Thanks again Zaber team.

Ah, ok - didn't know that was still a thing after the warehouse-sized Chinese farms stuffed full of dedicated mining chips pretty much raped it. I assumed ASICS are permanently a thing now and nobody mines using mainstream hardware anymore as it's not worth the hassle, and just isn't a very good investment all things considered.

Last edited:
Okay, it finally arrived! After what had to be my longest day at the office ever, on a super muggy and wet day, I got home to find my Sentry. It shipped June 9, left Warsaw June 12, and arrived in Tokyo on June 19. After a day in customs it arrived at my place today, June 21. Not bad.

Code:
Posted              2017-06-09 14:52    UP Nowy Sącz 2
Package sent        2017-06-09 16:25    UP Nowy Sącz 2
Item arrived        2017-06-09 18:31    WER Kraków
Package sent        2017-06-09 20:39    WER Kraków
Item arrived        2017-06-10 05:01    WER Warszawa
Sent from Poland    2017-06-12 15:34    WER Warszawa
Accepted in the
destination country 2017-06-18 13:50    KAWASAKI PORT
Customs clearance   2017-06-19 11:15    KAWASAKI PORT
Released from
customs             2017-06-20 17:50    KAWASAKI PORT
Item arrived        2017-06-21 12:04    International Postal System
Item delivered      2017-06-21 18:13    International Postal System

The outer box had a nice big dent in the side, and the foam also had about 1.5cm crease in it. I think the box most have been wedged against a pole or rail within the shipping truck or container.

IMG_20170621_210440.jpg IMG_20170621_213547.jpg

But the foam protected the inner box just fine. (The plastic wrapping the inner box did show a split so there was some stress on the inner box. But not enough for any dent on the inner box.)

IMG_20170621_213742.jpg IMG_20170621_214321.jpg
The case is in pristine shape. I think so far I have spent more time admiring the care that went into the packaging than the case itself.

(I'm sure that will change soon.)

I'm badge #393.

Anyway, I am going to have to go out this weekend and get some parts for my build, but for now here's the shape my box arrived in.

Thanks to Dr Zaber. You've done a great job in the shipping and packaging. For those of you who are still waiting, you're going to be so pleased when it finally arrives.

I can't wait to start building in this case.

Edit: fixed words, added shipping times.

Last edited:

4) Other contenders: Scythe Kozuti & Noctua LH-N9i

Last but not least, I'd think about those two:
logo-wpisu.jpg

Some old tests on 2600K show that they perform almost the same:
38ghz.png

42ghz.png

Kultura-pracy-wentylatora-scythe-kozuti.png

Kultura-pracy-wentylatora-noctua.png

Kozuti is probably the thing You guys were thinking about when trying to figure out how to mod other coolers by putting the fan below radiator fins. It's also rated 95W and is quite well priced at around $30 while NH-L9i is rated at 65W and costs $10 more. The only advantage of the latter, parameter-wise, is that it's 37mm meaning it'll have better compatibility in our case.

If there are better choices than those, prove me wrong :)

Reactions: kyjol
like this
Ah, ok - didn't know that was still a thing after the warehouse-sized Chinese farms stuffed full of dedicated mining chips pretty much raped it. I assumed ASICS are permanently a thing now and nobody mines using mainstream hardware anymore as it's not worth the hassle, and just isn't a very good investment all things considered.
Sadly for us general consumers, GPU mining is viable again. From what I learned if you use your GPU to mine bitcoin directly, then yes, it is no where near enough to even cover the electricity bill. But today people mine one of the several altcoins that are ASIC resistant instead. They then trade said altcoin for bitcoin and convert it to real money. If this profitability continues for some time, you can make enough to cover the price of the cards you buy within 3 months which is a very very good investment you can make today.

Also, the shortage of cards confirms this.

Did anyone tried or considered a Xigmatek Janus?

xigmatek_janus_1.jpg

Seems to be rated 140 TDP and the amount of heatpipes look attractive. It should fit with a single fan configuration (i.e. bottom fan pushing out) at 45mm height.

Also, is the LP53 mounting similar to the Noctua and thus could utilize the same AM4 bracket?

So, might be a slight problem with that fan. Guru3D's review states the cooler itself at 45mm w/o the fan. I think it would be too tall as the Zaber team's site states 47mm max clearance.

It's hard to know what lengths will work until you know which motherboard and which GPU you're looking at.
Oops, sorry. ASRock - Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX for the motherboard. EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 for GPU. (I know, not recommended, but I wanted to push the envelope graphics-wise. I'll be standing the case vertically, at least.)

I'm order #302, according to Indiegogo, for Rysen's question. Black Sentry case.

So, might be a slight problem with that fan. Guru3D's review states the cooler itself at 45mm w/o the fan. I think it would be too tall as the Zaber team's site states 47mm max clearance.

This is a push-pull setup with two fans. There's another fan under the fin stack. I'd be curious to see how this compares to the other well tested coolers.

Oops, sorry. ASRock - Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX for the motherboard. EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 for GPU. (I know, not recommended, but I wanted to push the envelope graphics-wise. I'll be standing the case vertically, at least.)

I'm order #302, according to Indiegogo, for Rysen's question. Black Sentry case.

I'd like to know the lengths for the same setup also .... so sf600, Fatal1ty Z270, SC2 Ti
If no one replied and you managed to measure and order the cables, please let us know

I realize that, hence why I mentioned single fan mode. I meant the lower fan of course, most likely pushing upwards through the fins and out Sentry's exhaust.

Here's a chart comparing it to other low-profile fans (not quite the Sentry-size league listing though):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-profile-heat-sink-mini-itx,3639-19.html

It does fairly well, and I think it's the only one that could be compatible with the Sentry in any configuration.
it seems to be available from Japan via ebay for 51$ + shipping.

Last edited:
People are building mining rigs and need those GPU's to mine cryptocurrency.

I don't know what any of those words mean ... :)

Looks like newegg got some stock today for Asus turbo, snagged one before they ran out of stock again.
Amazon doesn't even have estimate for when they will get stock again.

What are those and is there a release date?
They should be out some time this month basically a 1060 with no output ports, no fan, just an extruded block with no heatpipes and a box with fans and a 1200watt power supply and board that runs like 10 of them. Im not sure when AMDs version is ready but I hope it is before VEGA gets out or else they will get ripped of the shelves and the price will be pushed up a lot.

For anyone that is throwing a 1080ti could you please give temps and specs for any of us that may be thinking about putting this in our build. Please give CPU temps or any mods that you made like taping off the case and making it to separate compartments or anything like that.

I saw this and my decision has been made. 1080 Ti for me.
I still don't have my entry yet so I'll be waiting for that (First shipment to US, order 25). Then I'll be waiting for ASRock's AM4 mITX board because it has WiFi. By then I should have more details on Vega. Did you decide solely off the TDP and the heat it might generate? I'm sure it will be fine if there's a blower style version. Plus, there's plenty of SFX power supplies out there that could handle this plus a 65W CPU.

I still don't have my entry yet so I'll be waiting for that (First shipment to US, order 25). Then I'll be waiting for ASRock's AM4 mITX board because it has WiFi. By then I should have more details on Vega. Did you decide solely off the TDP and the heat it might generate? I'm sure it will be fine if there's a blower style version. Plus, there's plenty of SFX power supplies out there that could handle this plus a 65W CPU.
That's a good point. It was based off of TDP, but I'll wait to see what people with the Frontier Edition say. I have everything but the ASRock motherboard, two more SSDs, and obviously the GPU. I'm really pulling for AMD, so I hope the wait is worth it. I'm expecting better than 1080 performance, but I'm not convinced it'll be better than a Ti. Hopefully around the same level of performance. Plus, the deal they made with Bethesda is great since they make my favorite games.

Back