SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

... Sentry is currently the worlds smallest gaming case...
I hated that "currently the world's smallest gaming case" line. It bugs me that in their video the list the DAN-A4 at 7.2L and the Sentry at 6.9L but say the DAN-A4 is the smallest. But, what really irks me is just how meaningless and untrue that phrase is without any quantifiers. The Sentry isn't even the, "smallest gaming case" if we bring the S4-Mini into the mix. I imagine that the writer was careless and saw that the A4 had, "DAN Cases A4-SFX - The World's Smallest Gaming Tower Case" as the Kickstarter title and didn't think. I'm just amazed that line made it into the actual video. Surely someone would have realize that they proved that line wrong within their own video?

Very true, I think one could argue a case that houses a MB with an iGPU which can run games would be considered. Or even better, the NFC S4 Mini. I do consider the Sentry as the smallest in the videos lineup.

The sentry is the smallest case in the world that can house a full size GPU and SFX-Large power supply period. Thus beating the previous case that held this spot the DAN-A4. To me the main reason I chose the Sentry over the Dan's case was that I strongly prefer tall cases over cases that occupy more surface area on a desk.

Yeah I thought it was a fraction of a liter smaller than A4.
I hated that "currently the world's smallest gaming case" line. It bugs me that in their video the list the DAN-A4 at 7.2L and the Sentry at 6.9L but say the DAN-A4 is the smallest. But, what really irks me is just how meaningless and untrue that phrase is without any quantifiers. The Sentry isn't even the, "smallest gaming case" if we bring the S4-Mini into the mix. I imagine that the writer was careless and saw that the A4 had, "DAN Cases A4-SFX - The World's Smallest Gaming Tower Case" as the Kickstarter title and didn't think. I'm just amazed that line made it into the actual video. Surely someone would have realize that they proved that line wrong within their own video?
Very true, I think one could argue a case that houses a MB with an iGPU which can run games would be considered. Or even better, the NFC S4 Mini. I do consider the Sentry as the smallest in the videos lineup.

"Smallest", "Best", "Most powerful" are "large quantifiers". Engineers know they shouldn't use them because they are never true. Only marketing guys use them to sell more products. In our opinion a good product will defend itself without such misleading advertising.

My man, I've missed the point then. Because Linus did comment on the quality as a pro. And that should hold much more weight

Yeah I've got a Silverstone pt13 @ 1.4 liters with a i7-4770t (therefore HD4600 igpu) that plays "Banished" like a champ lol. So it seems I have the smallest gaming pc in the world.

Biostar has a board.

Unfortunately that's only one board. I think what this comes down to is confusion between AMD and the board manufacturers. Amd made x300 for itx but x370 is also valid for itx as biostar has proven. Manufacturers would probably rather release x370 because it's ready now and can clearly be implemented in itx but amd is probably pushing x300 so we have to wait.

All this does is hurt AMD. I would have bought 3 itx am4 boards already if they were available.They should really drop x300, or keep it for niche uses like embedded systems. X370 sounds similar to Intel's chipset with an x4 link between chipset and cpu, so board manufacturers are probably familiar with it. But x300 doesn't have this and so probably introduces design challenges. I feel like Zen2 will be released before we have a real AMD itx ecosystem.

Biostar has a board.
I can't find anyone in UK which has it available, I'd rather not try to import one so stuck.

Also didn't realise until checking some reviews that the Biostar board doesn't have built in WiFi so that puts me off as well :(

From that LINUS video, Sentry has ZERO competition. Everything else is just a 'slightly' smaller nerdy looking tower case. Sentry is the only classy case that you would use in your Home Theatre. Perfect (y)

I'm looking for a basic level in-case speaker for my sentry when it arrives. It doesn't have to sound so great just enough for basic stuff like watching youtube or non-competitive gaming or what you would expect from a cheap laptop for example.

Are there any suggestions?

I'm looking for a basic level in-case speaker for my sentry when it arrives. It doesn't have to sound so great just enough for basic stuff like watching youtube or non-competitive gaming or what you would expect from a cheap laptop for example.

I've tried soo many times to find this. I'm curious too if anyone has suggestions.

From my previous searching I came across some oem speakers from Dell and HP that may work. Apparently you can't just plug a tiny speaker into the front audio header. On oem pc's there's actually a separate header on the motherboard. Most people just responded with "get desk speakers"

Only thing I can think of would be to use a small usb header adapter such as one of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-Female-Motherboard-4-Pin-Header/dp/B000IV6S9S
But not seen or know of any small speaker. One other option might be to try and feed a 3.5mm audio cable and route it back inside the case and have a small passive speaker.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've tried soo many times to find this. I'm curious too if anyone has suggestions.

From my previous searching I came across some oem speakers from Dell and HP that may work. Apparently you can't just plug a tiny speaker into the front audio header. On oem pc's there's actually a separate header on the motherboard. Most people just responded with "get desk speakers"

Yeah, I've been looking for a while and the closest thing I've got is this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ste...32712009546.html?spm=2114.40010708.4.4.2ONzyo
which isn't damn near fit inside sentry.

I have a Ryzen 7 1700, and my concern is about a CPU cooler. Right now, according to PC Partpicker, the only Ryzen compatible CPU is the Cryorig C7, which is exactly 47mm tall, the CPU height limit. I was planning on using the NH-L9a, but as of right now, it is not compatible with Ryzen. Would the C7 be a good choice to cool the 1700, or should I try to find another option, which likely means waiting for Noctua to create an AM4 bracket for the NH-L9a.

Yeah, I've been looking for a while and the closest thing I've got is this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ste...32712009546.html?spm=2114.40010708.4.4.2ONzyo
which isn't damn near fit inside sentry.

Haha yeah not even close. The speakers in oem pc's that I've used, even the slim Dell optiplex is usually about 70mm in diameter. That'd be like putting an 80mm fan inside sentry... And that's before you rig up a solution for the lack of motherboard support for an internal speaker.

It's like Christmas in May.
AC1ykbH.jpg

Edit: I should have added that despite very minor creases in the outer box, the Sentry boxes inside are immaculate.

I'll be posting more photos as soon as possible. Unfortunately I'm very busy with work this week.

Last edited:
I am happy for those who have received the homes this days! I hope to receive it in a few days! I wanted to ask who was sentry, what are the steps in tracking? I came to NIF-Input

I am happy for those who have received the homes this days! I hope to receive it in a few days! I wanted to ask who was sentry, what are the steps in tracking? I came to NIF-Input
As I said before, I think that NIF-input most likely means it's in the delivery truck and you have to wait till it arrives in your country. If you're in EU you should have it within few days from shipping.

Got my system in Sentry. Corsair psu cables are a nightmare. So I immediately ordered custom cables. I measured, measured and measured again. I was so amped. Placed my order. And got this confirmation email.
OtjqLP2.jpg

2-3 weeks?!? Devastated :cry:

Got my system in Sentry. Corsair psu cables are a nightmare. So I immediately ordered custom cables. I measured, measured and measured again. I was so amped. Placed my order. And got this confirmation email.

What kind if cables are with your PSU? Ribbons like in Silverstone modular units or standard braided cables? Did you try tucking excess of cables between the GPU and central wall? Which PSU are you using?

We've had the same problem with silverstone SFX-L unit and that was also the case with Linus review.

At this point I think that paying for modular SFX/L psu to use in Sentry will be an overkill unless you want to install some monstrous power hungry card inside. Apart from having a problem with ribbon stiffness, there's also that those ribbons tend to be 10cm longer than they really need to be...

We must think alike, I ordered my cable set just yesterday in preparation for my white Sentry! I also saw the 2-3 week lead time...oh well, good things come to those who wait, as we all here know! I measured the distances in my RVZ02 and for the most part kept those lengths.

We've had the same problem with silverstone SFX-L unit and that was also the case with Linus review.
This is the exact reason I chose to get the Cablemod cables, I have that exact PSU, SX500-LG.

... Sentry is currently the worlds smallest gaming case...

The sentry is the smallest case in the world that can house a full size GPU and SFX-Large power supply period. Thus beating the previous case that held this spot the DAN-A4. To me the main reason I chose the Sentry over the Dan's case was that I strongly prefer tall cases over cases that occupy more surface area on a desk.

This is wrong on the first view it is 6.9L vs. 7.2L. But you can't use the Sentry without case feets, because this will result in overheating the GPU, so if you compare the Sentry with casefeets with the A4 with case feets it is: A4: 7.5L vs Sentry (horizontal usecase): 8.1L.

So the A4 is 0.6L smaller and Linus is right. ;)

OtjqLP2.jpg

My PSU is going to be sf600 as well. I thought I was the only one who think of the cables that way. Thankfully, I got a Cablemod 20% off coupon from my Asus board, so I'm going to order some custom cables from them as well.

Please do a review of the cables once they arrive. I'll be looking forward to it. :)

This is wrong on the first view it is 6.9L vs. 7.2L. But you can't use the Sentry without case feets, because this will result in overheating the GPU, so if you compare the Sentry with casefeets with the A4 with case feets it is: A4: 7.5L vs Sentry (horizontal usecase): 8.1L.

So the A4 is 0.6L smaller and Linus is right. ;)

It's still marketing babble. If someone will add 20 cm feet to our case (for any reason, f.e. a subwoofer under the case) you would say then this case is now 20 or 30 litres in volume because someone put his box higher? We don't count feet because it is a detachable element which user can easily detach or even switch to something bigger or smaller. What is more, we also have cut edges of Sentry, so those standard feet volume is compensated. What is more, Sentry is designed for travelling. You don't need feet attached to the case during travel in the laptop bag or even your clothes bag, so if someone needs to know how much volume he needs to pack Sentry, the right number is 6.9L. But that is not the point.

People are laughing mostly not about the Linus mistake, but because he's repeating your misleading advertising, using large quantifiers like "Smallest gaming case in the world", where to make it a little bit true you have to add additional criteria ("The smallest gaming case in the world, but from this group, but which has that thing, with this, with that"). This is like selling a zebra and telling people this is the horse but with stripes, and the closest to the horse from other african animals. But still not a horse. People know that, and this is the main reason why this type of advertising is funny to them.

We know Sentry isn't the smallest pc case, so we just don't say it to not confuse people. We just don't like making statements which aren't true, and thanks to that we don't have to jump from topic to topic and everywhere defend our advertising like other companies do. Simple.

We know we are bad at advertising, but we are not marketing guys and we are still learning.

OtjqLP2.jpg

I was considering going with Ensourced if only to get custom cables quicker. Just checked and they need 14 full days for custom modular cables. Can't win for losing I guess. Also, what's the estimated shipping time to the US from Poland? I think someone asked before and it was 2-3 weeks?

Are the Corsair SFX PSU cables that much stiffer than Silverstone's SFX PSU cables? I would have thought that they are nearly identical in flexibility.

I was considering going with Ensourced if only to get custom cables quicker. Just checked and they need 14 full days for custom modular cables. Can't win for losing I guess. Also, what's the estimated shipping time to the US from Poland? I think someone asked before and it was 2-3 weeks?

The shipping to Poland is very fast, because they charge a standard flat rate of 20$ and ship via DHL express. My package arrived on my doorstep 2 days after it was sent from Hong Kong. Overall my order took 2 weeks to complete - submitted it on April 20th and got the package on 5th of May. The delay in processing is temporary and comes from the fact they are switching factory location, but 2 weeks it reasonable.

No problems with mine...
Do you have shorter cables? My 24 pin is a monster. Mine looks like I have twice as much wire balled up near the psu. Is corsair shipping with shorter cables now? Either that or you are a magician.

Finally had time to play with my Sentry today (already shipped Wednesday!)

Now running a R7 1700 and my old R9 390 in a beautiful black sentry.

Full specs:

MB - Biostar X370GTN
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 1700
RAM - G.Skill FlareX 3200 MHz (CL14)
GPU - Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390
SSD - Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
CPU Cooler - Some cheap Akasa low profile cooler (rated for AM3, but it works on AM4.) Linked it somewhere earlier in this thread.
PSU - Corsair SF600

Some updates I will get later:

1. Definitely a better CPU cooler. Waiting for good Low Profile AM4 heatsinks to be released. The Akasa cooler works, but it runs hot and loud.
2. Probably a more efficient GPU
3. Might add one or two 2.5" drives for more storage.

I apologize for no pictures (yet) :)

Very satisfied with the case! Installation was obviously more involved than a standard case, but manageable. Cable management (the rather stiff Corsair cables and the thick front USB cables in particular) was a pain though.

Do you have shorter cables? My 24 pin is a monster. Mine looks like I have twice as much wire balled up near the psu. Is corsair shipping with shorter cables now? Either that or you are a magician.
Can you please give me a link to where you got your custom cables and which size I should be looking for I have the sf600 from corsair as well. Thank you in advance.

Back