SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Or make the GPU use 1 or 2 USB-C ports, it's small, reversible, can handle up to 40 Gbit/s and support DisplayPort Alternate Mode out of the box, using the full 40 Gbit/s you can theoretically support 2 x 4K displays @ 75 Hz with HDR, for 2 ports that's 4 x 4K displays.
95M9aoi.jpg

I think I might die of happiness if we actually got that design on a card with an otherwise reference PCB. Or better yet, a straight up founders' edition with a couple of USB C ports.

My point was that the PCI bracket would be unified to the point where we could mount the GPU to mITX cases like Sentry without it (bracket) while also optimising vents - the middle bar between two slots blocks off significant portion of the vent.

Bracket not only makes it so we need that piece of case sticking out at the back, but it requires moving the card away from the PCI-E slot since the bracket bottom ends would overlap with motherboard io keep-out zone.

Finally I believe that I'd be happier to have my own selection of ports on a dedicated extension card in tower PC without changing adapters and cables each time card vendor changes the layout for new card that I bought as an upgrade.

40 Gbit/s so yes. 144hz 1080p is around 8.00 Gbit/s
o wow. That's pretty crazy. I'm guessing it would just be a matter of time before the only ports on our computers are replaced by usb-c. I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet.

Scavenging for parts, i noticed that your GPU guideline suggests that the ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 3GB might not fit. Looking over the dimensions, it fits within the 300mm max lendth (240mm long) and the maximum height of 145mm (130mm high). Though the fansinks does protrude more than usual due to design, making it 43mm thick (from asus.com), it seems still to fit within the chassis. From your dimensional drawings, it is 66mm thick on the exterior, but i guess it is not made from 10mm steel sheets, hence the interior should still be more than the 43mm.

My question is, why it was deemed as "in-compatible" ?

More specifically, will it fit ? (Since i accidently already ordered it before i became aware of your GPU compatibility sheet).

All the best

Scavenging for parts, i noticed that your GPU guideline suggests that the ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 3GB might not fit. Looking over the dimensions, it fits within the 300mm max lendth (240mm long) and the maximum height of 145mm (130mm high). Though the fansinks does protrude more than usual due to design, making it 43mm thick (from asus.com), it seems still to fit within the chassis. From your dimensional drawings, it is 66mm thick on the exterior, but i guess it is not made from 10mm steel sheets, hence the interior should still be more than the 43mm.

My question is, why it was deemed as "in-compatible" ?

More specifically, will it fit ? (Since i accidently already ordered it before i became aware of your GPU compatibility sheet).

All the best
I can see that you like brute force, asking the same question on all fronts :)

The problem is the way multiple cards are measured by vendors and we can't do anything about it, that's why we provided dimensions from multiple points as well as the compatibility spreadsheet.

From what we can see, this card has 130mm measured from the PCI-E slot connector where we have maximum 112mm + optional 18mm of oversize if the PEG power connector is recessed to those 112mm so the power cable will fit. The 145mm distance in our drawing is measured from the PCI bracket and not the slot.

The problem remains that the card should physically fit within 112+18mm but we have no info about how much the PEG power connector is recessed. You might need to get some really low profile PEG power cable for this to work.

6138092e4bd7aeebe789f8173b7c131933faa9a1e1b5c86ce79dc053525d1e12.jpg

The PEG connector is only slightly recessed, around 4mm while the card PCB is oversized around 12mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beram
like this
hi everyone, in the gpu list I found Zotac gtx 1080 mini doesn't fit but in the image I think it gonna fits ?

Attachments

• zt-p10800h-10p_image2.jpg
    zt-p10800h-10p_image2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 30
  • zt-p10800h-10p_image3.jpg
    zt-p10800h-10p_image3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 31
  • zt-p10800h-10p_image4.jpg
    zt-p10800h-10p_image4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 32
Which one? In general they does, but there might be some new model I didn't notice. I have 1060 6GB SC in my Sentry...

I can see that you like brute force, asking the same question on all fronts :)

The problem is the way multiple cards are measured by vendors and we can't do anything about it, that's why we provided dimensions from multiple points as well as the compatibility spreadsheet.

From what we can see, this card has 130mm measured from the PCI-E slot connector where we have maximum 112mm + optional 18mm of oversize if the PEG power connector is recessed to those 112mm so the power cable will fit. The 145mm distance in our drawing is measured from the PCI bracket and not the slot.

The problem remains that the card should physically fit within 112+18mm but we have no info about how much the PEG power connector is recessed. You might need to get some really low profile PEG power cable for this to work.

6138092e4bd7aeebe789f8173b7c131933faa9a1e1b5c86ce79dc053525d1e12.jpg

The PEG connector is only slightly recessed, around 4mm while the card PCB is oversized around 12mm.

I see.. I also see it is not your first time dealing with GPU fits, while it is mine. Guess i will have to look for low profile PEG cables or find another GPU (probably one from your list now i guess).

Fast response! And on all fronts (sorry for spam.. am in a hurry, since i need to cancel the order) :) Points to you Mr. Zaber - thanks !

I think it's not usb type C but thunderbolt 3.

It's USB type-C with thunderbolt compatibility, yeah. :)

Can't wait for that to be the normal array of ports; imagine how much cleaner I/O would look with just an RJ45 jack, a Toslink optical out, and 8-10 USB C ports.

http://www.aiuto-jp.co.jp/information/entry_458.php -> translate to English

BIOSTAR announces the release of AMD Ryzen compatible mini-ITX motherboard "X370GTN" "B350GTN", MicroATX motherboard "X370GT3" to be released

Pre-orders:
Reservation start date: April 21, 2017 (Friday)

Release/Availability:
Release date: Friday, April 28, 2017

X370GTN: ¥14,980 JPY ~ $139 USD
B350GTN: ¥12,800 JPY ~ $119 USD

Don't kill me if google translation screwed something up :)

Reactions: Ej24
like this
A micro usb wifi adapter will solve this easily.

How well do those actually work, though? The last time that I had to deal with one, it was about five years ago, and it was painful - both installing the graphics and dealing with the awful speeds just... wasn't fun.

Granted, it was not a super high end one with its own antenna, but it was the nicest we could find between the stores around here. (My friend needed internet that very day.)

Is there enough space for that AM4 backplate on the back of the motherboard in the Sentry? Will the stock Wraith Spire cooler even fit?

I'm not sure how much space the backplate will need but the Wraith Spire will not fit in the Sentry. Its 70mm from the top of the CPU to the top of the fan. You can take a look at it here.

Backplate will definitely fit if it's made according to ATX specs and it has to :)

Wraith Spire won't fit, Wraith Stealth might fit. I'm thinking about making two adaptors for coolers: one for noctua NH-L9i, this should be easier to do, and one for dynatron T318.

Noctua stated that they will make adaptor for NH-L9 when they released those mounting kits for other coolers except this one. Also I think I have seen someone quoting noctua stating they're going to release something new instead, maybe incremental updates for NH-L9 including the mounting kits for AM4... Can't remember where though.

Backplate will definitely fit if it's made according to ATX specs and it has to :)

Wraith Spire won't fit, Wraith Stealth might fit. I'm thinking about making two adaptors for coolers: one for noctua NH-L9i, this should be easier to do, and one for dynatron T318.

Noctua stated that they will make adaptor for NH-L9 when they released those mounting kits for other coolers except this one. Also I think I have seen someone quoting noctua stating they're going to release something new instead, maybe incremental updates for NH-L9 including the mounting kits for AM4... Can't remember where though.

Yep, that was me. Noctuna replied to my message saying that they are working on a small improvement over the nh-l9 with am4 support. They later restated this in a reply to a question on twitter.

jnhp79avw5dyttwgnf6o.png

7th week of Sentry manufacturing process

Do you remember when in our last update we said that last week was "one of the most busy weeks so far"? We didn't really know what was waiting for us :) This time we were sorting those ~98 000 screws we told you about, and we almost finished it. We also received other elements for Sentry accessory boxes, which we also inserted in separate protection bags. What is more at the end of the week we received first transport of black Sentry bodies! We willl be unpacking them and controlling their quality as we proceed with final product completion in following weeks.

Like we mentioned, this was still an "accessory box week" with sorting some stuff:

- all types of M3 screws

nrzkdndhfff0urveartw.jpg

- plastic feet for horizontal mounting and plastic covers for holes unused in vertical position

ifbies8ghgpk3ikfxf1r.jpg

We also received some of the last elements of the puzzle:

- first transport of printed carton boxes

s1swcklqjdx0rh7miuco.jpg

- PCI slot covers

euzv8whvu1tlvo7nkoao.jpg

- Sentry simplified quick start manual and warranty card (last time we received only samples)

e1tsf5bnxuogdnyggs7z.jpg

After Easter holidays we will check first part of black Sentry bodies and start packing them into the boxes, while we will still be waiting for the unpainted Sentrys, to send them to the paint shop. If everything goes well, within next 2 weeks we will start shipping packages according to the plan we gave you during the campaign.

Is it possible to request additional HDD brackets at this time or will that be done later?

Is it possible to request additional HDD brackets at this time or will that be done later?

There were very few people interested in additional HDD brackets for NAS configuration before and during the campaign, so we weren't preparing additional amount of those to be manufactured with the current production run, nor we were figuring out additional payment methods for those.

We will be giving out brackets from prototype runs (as we were ordering complete sets including those brackets with each prototype order) to those few people who asked us about them before. Please contact us through the email you have used for your indiegogo campaign if you're still interested in getting those. At this point we have those leftover brackets for ~8 cases (4 additional pieces for each case to complete 12 x 2.5" NAS configuration), all in white.

Anyway, if you won't get this bundled with your case, we can give you the dxf file for this single piece so you can order it from your local laser cutting shop and it shouldn't cost you a fortune :)

jnhp79avw5dyttwgnf6o.png

7th week of Sentry manufacturing process

Do you remember when in our last update we said that last week was "one of the most busy weeks so far"? We didn't really know what was waiting for us :) This time we were sorting those ~98 000 screws we told you about, and we almost finished it. We also received other elements for Sentry accessory boxes, which we also inserted in separate protection bags. What is more at the end of the week we received first transport of black Sentry bodies! We willl be unpacking them and controlling their quality as we proceed with final product completion in following weeks.

Like we mentioned, this was still an "accessory box week" with sorting some stuff:

- all types of M3 screws

nrzkdndhfff0urveartw.jpg

- plastic feet for horizontal mounting and plastic covers for holes unused in vertical position

ifbies8ghgpk3ikfxf1r.jpg

We also received some of the last elements of the puzzle:

- first transport of printed carton boxes

s1swcklqjdx0rh7miuco.jpg

- PCI slot covers

euzv8whvu1tlvo7nkoao.jpg

- Sentry simplified quick start manual and warranty card (last time we received only samples)

e1tsf5bnxuogdnyggs7z.jpg

After Easter holidays we will check first part of black Sentry bodies and start packing them into the boxes, while we will still be waiting for the unpainted Sentrys, to send them to the paint shop. If everything goes well, within next 2 weeks we will start shipping packages according to the plan we gave you during the campaign.

In the immortal words of Charlie Brown: "Aaugh!"

I'm so excited and impatient; I feel like a small child dancing around with their legs crossed.

How well do those actually work, though? The last time that I had to deal with one, it was about five years ago, and it was painful - both installing the graphics and dealing with the awful speeds just... wasn't fun.

Granted, it was not a super high end one with its own antenna, but it was the nicest we could find between the stores around here. (My friend needed internet that very day.)

I bought an AC usb adapter for around 10-20$ a year back and it worked fine for me. Yeah, you won't hit 100MB/s with that but it was not so slow... unless you call 8MB/s slow.

Maybe your problem was poor signal due to too much distance from the PC to the router. In that case you might need something with a large antenna.

AS for the switch - Just look for the so called anti-vandal waterproof (black plastic) switches with 16mm diameter. it's not like there's going to be some big problem with replacing it if we don't glue the nut inside the case.

Sorry to dig up an ancient post, but I've got a quick question about the vandal switch. Is the motherboard wiring soldered to the switch itself, or are you guys using removable spade connectors? I want to replace with a black switch + white LED and am wondering if I need to buy a new set of wiring as well, or just the switch itself if I can reuse the wiring that comes with the stock vandal switch.

Damn I'm excited to get my white Sentry. I've got almost all of my parts lined up and am just about wetting myself with anticipation :]

Sorry to dig up an ancient post, but I've got a quick question about the vandal switch. Is the motherboard wiring soldered to the switch itself, or are you guys using removable spade connectors? I want to replace with a black switch + white LED and am wondering if I need to buy a new set of wiring as well, or just the switch itself if I can reuse the wiring that comes with the stock vandal switch.

Damn I'm excited to get my white Sentry. I've got almost all of my parts lined up and am just about wetting myself with anticipation :]
worse case Ontario, cut off the lead and solder it to the new switch.

Yes, the wiring is soldered but as pendragon said you can solder the wiring to a different switch yourself.

So after much internal debate on doing the K or non-K 7700, I pulled the trigger on the LP53 cooler and noctua fan for the 7700K. I'm excited to get it built and will be posting temp results when I can. I'm like #16 in order so hopefully won't be too long after shipping.
Excited guys. Appreciate the weekly updates. You're doing great.

So after much internal debate on doing the K or non-K 7700, I pulled the trigger on the LP53 cooler and noctua fan for the 7700K. I'm excited to get it built and will be posting temp results when I can. I'm like #16 in order so hopefully won't be too long after shipping.
Excited guys. Appreciate the weekly updates. You're doing great.
You going to delid?

Although, looking up more on it, it doesn't look too hard with a 3D printed tool and I do have a 3D printer...
I'd say go for it. It can make a huge difference to temps, and at this point has become pretty much totally reliable as long as you're using a delidding tool rather than a razor.

Back