SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

ppl need to make them do their own leg work though. waaaaaay to much hand-holding lately....

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Here you go
mounted using a clip wire from the "NH-L9x65", Noctua does not sell the clip alone, the "NH-L9x65" has the "NF-A9x14" fan already.
P.S don't try to email Noctua about the clip, they used to provide it, but not anymore, because of the huge amount of requests thanks to this mod !
View attachment 17525 View attachment 17526 View attachment 17527 View attachment 17528

Tested this setup with my i7 4770k (delid) / Node 202 case / LP53 + Noctua A9 - Max temp of 85C

Tested this setup with my i7 4770k (delid) / Node 202 case / LP53 + Stock LP Fan - Max temp of 80C

is 85C a safe operating temperature for 4770k?

Have not undervolted but thinking of it.

Tested this setup with my i7 4770k (delid) / Node 202 case / LP53 + Noctua A9 - Max temp of 85C

Tested this setup with my i7 4770k (delid) / Node 202 case / LP53 + Stock LP Fan - Max temp of 80C

is 85C a safe operating temperature for 4770k?

Have not undervolted but thinking of it.
It is safe, just make-sure it doesn't go near 90C.

Just got a reply from Noctua!

They took a couple days to discuss the matter internally and said they'd be posting an official response in the original thread. (I'm not sure if that means this one or the Dan A4 thread.)

Regardless, I would like to thank Noctua service rep Emanuel Fankhauser, as well as everybody else at Noctua, for taking the time to actually consider the request. Even if you've decided that it's not feasible, the respect and dedication to your customers is acknowledged.

Just got a reply from Noctua!

They took a couple days to discuss the matter internally and said they'd be posting an official response in the original thread. (I'm not sure if that means this one or the Dan A4 thread.)

Regardless, I would like to thank Noctua service rep Emanuel Fankhauser, as well as everybody else at Noctua, for taking the time to actually consider the request. Even if you've decided that it's not feasible, the respect and dedication to your customers is acknowledged.

it is just a clip, they should sell it like every other cooler manufactures does (Prolimatech, Thermalright and ID-Cooling), no need for the drama and the statements, lets see

it is just a clip, they should sell it like every other cooler manufactures does (Prolimatech, Thermalright and ID-Cooling), no need for the drama.

I'm sorry, no, you missed something.

When (Edit, it wasn't you, it was Phillfreeze, sorry, I need to read more carefully) mentioned that people had been flooding them with requests for the clip, that made me realize that they'd seen some evidence of how much demand there was for a good cooling solution for these two cases.

I wrote them and asked them if they would be willing to consider developing an entire new cooler for the 48mm high performance niche. Go back in this thread a page or two and you can read the email I sent them.

The fact that they actually considered the request instead of snapping off an instant, "Noctua does not discuss future cooler designs or take requests from the public," is fairly impressive, if you ask me.

I know about your email, and I really appreciate your efforts, but what was their reply !!
Do not expect a miracle though. We're only expecting a minor temperature decrease compared to the NH-L9i
Really !!! come on Noctua "minor temperature decrease" !!

I know about your email, and I really appreciate your efforts, but what was their reply !!

Really !!! come on Noctua "minor temperature decrease" !!

They haven't given an official reply yet. All they said in their email is what I just posted - that they took their time to consider the request and will soon be posting in this thread themselves.

Not sure where you pulled that quote from, but that wasn't by a Noctua rep. (Edit: yes it was. Derp.)

Last edited:
FYI: Razen paper launch just happened, availability starting next week - March 2nd and Biostar is supposed to show off remaining boards on this weekend, I think. Lets hope for at least single mITX board from Biostar.

SaperPL has there been any news from Cryorig?

I am not really interested in a 95W tdp chip, but with Noctua not having a date (please let me know if I am wrong), for the am4 bracket for the L9i -- I would like a reasonable priced am4 cooler for my Sentry by the time it comes around.

Thanks,

Nothing yet, they were probably more focused on AM4 launch till now.

I think that we should first see how AMD 65W coolers will perform and if they are going to fit in Sentry or not, before looking for custom cooling solution.

On the microcenter website, (I do not know if this is typo) the R7 1700 comes with "Ryzen 7 1700 w/Wraith Spire 95W Cooler."

just fyi

Anyone know if the 65w tdp cooler from AMD ryzen will be available for standalone retail purchase? Or will it be similar to the Intel cooler where we just have to find ones people don't want on ebay? Come to think of it, is there actually retail availability for Intel stock cooler separate of a cpu?

We'll definitely be able to buy off the coolers from lower end, quad core XFR units since there will be people putting AIO WC on those without a doubt. The question is whether those will be 65W or 95W coolers in the end.

SaperPL, do you think it's possible to cool 95W of R7 1800X in Sentry?

I cannot be sure on how those CPUs will behave yet. We'll have to see the benchmarks and various tests.

If I understand the way XFR works versus how AMD acheived their power savings in Ryzen then running games on 1800X might mean something like 2~4 cores boosting and 4~6 cores running background tasks while whole package takes less than 95W. This top wattage is what should happen when you put a huge multithreaded workload on your CPU and that won't happen over night with games and I don't believe you will be able to ramp up voltage on 2 cores that far to reach 95W after seeing the XFR giving only 100mhz more boost over rated turbo on stock that was stated on launch (4.1 XFR on stock vs 3.6/4.0 base/boost).

It's not like you can take all this headroom for wattage left by half the cores running background tasks and ramp up the wattage twice as high on the other two cores, there are definitely some reasonable local(on-die) thermal limits you cannot cross which will limit XFR even if you have those additional 30W TDP left and only running single threaded task. Otherwise AMD would be marketing their XFR boosting up to 5 or 6 GHz today :)

Last edited:

I cannot be sure on how those CPUs will behave yet. We'll have to see the benchmarks and various tests.

If I understand the way XFR works versus how AMD acheived their power savings in Ryzen then running games on 1800X might mean something like 2~4 cores boosting and 4~6 cores running background tasks while whole package takes less than 95W. This top wattage is what should happen when you put a huge multithreaded workload on your CPU and that won't happen over night with games and I don't believe you will be able to ramp up voltage on 2 cores that far to reach 95W after seeing the XFR giving only 100mhz more boost over rated turbo on stock that was stated on launch (4.1 XFR on stock vs 3.6/4.0 base/boost).

It's not like you can take all this headroom for wattage left by half the cores running background tasks and ramp up the wattage twice as high on the other two cores, there are definitely some reasonable regional(on-die) thermal limits you cannot cross which will limit XFR even if you have those additional 30W TDP left and only running single threaded task. Otherwise AMD would be marketing their XFR boosting up to 5 or 6 GHz today :)

The biggest problem still remains. No ITX motherboards.

Ugh I'm hoping the Board partners release x370 m-itx boards. The x300 chipset is probably what is delaying things. From what I understand, the x300 chipset doesn't do anything. It has no i/o. Everything comes from the cpu on x300 making it essentially an soc. This is unusual and may complicate design over other am4 boards and itx boards in general.

It's also very limiting in lane assignments for rear i/o, Sata, m.2, etc. The pcie slot gobbles up 16 out of 24 lanes from the cpu, gigabit ethernet and/or WiFi is another, m.2 is 4. That leaves 2 lanes left for Sata and all i/o. All of this will require traces directly to the cpu on a small itx board (versus most to the chipset with a single interface to the cpu on normal platforms). Thus the delay. I'd much prefer they just release an x370 in itx form factor. We'd be able to have dual m.2, 6+ Sata, dual gigabit Lan... We'll see what the board manufacturers come up with though.

Well, as long as it's out before April I am fine (or as long as it comes before my sentry). Also, even if mitx boards are announced today, I have no intention of buying them until close till the ship date for the sentry. It would be nice to have some info, but I am content to wait things out for now.

The lack of availability/information on 2nd party overhauled cooling systems for the <48mm in am4 format is what worries me. I do not want to have to jig together a solution if the wraith does not work out.

Only time will tell though, and from what SaperPL has said cryorig seem nice guys who want to help* plus hopefully other companies will see the niche market here.

Also, Thermolab has not updated their website for awhile, probably the LP-53 will need a custom made solution am4 bracket......

Isn't the Ryzen 1700 processor supposed to be 65W? Why are they selling it with a 95W cooler?

Also, I remember from recent slides that there was a third Ryzen cooler that looked lower profile. I haven't seen anything about that since.

why would you want a lesser cooler? that's only 30w of room. anything less and you could get heat soak in the summer. it also needs room for extended boost situations or if anybody does try to oc with the stock fan.
and the smaller one is probably for the r3/r5 when they come later.

The mounting arms of the LP53 are aluminum or steel. Either way, they are simply screwed in to the copper base plate. I bet new arms could be designed and cut out very quickly from 1mm steel. Just got to get the angles right.

Isn't the Ryzen 1700 processor supposed to be 65W? Why are they selling it with a 95W cooler?

Also, I remember from recent slides that there was a third Ryzen cooler that looked lower profile. I haven't seen anything about that since.

They also have the biggest wraith cooler, the square one, that's similar to original wraith cooler that was targeting 125W CPUs, which will most likely be bundled with the 8-core XFR units that are rated at 95W. It looks like AMD is giving everyone who's getting high-end SKUs those 30W of headroom for overclocking out of the box since every Risen has unlocked multiplier.

why would you want a lesser cooler? that's only 30w of room. anything less and you could get heat soak in the summer. it also needs room for extended boost situations or if anybody does try to oc with the stock fan.
and the smaller one is probably for the r3/r5 when they come later.

Because the 95W cooler isn't going to fit in the Sentry

I have added the Zotac 1080 Mini to the spreadsheet as requested, however by spec it is even taller than 1070 Mini (125 vs 122 mm) leaving like 5mm of space for PEG connector in Sentry...

This is a promotional render that is also shown as product image which suggests the reference width of the PCB:
zotac-gtx-1080-mini-5.jpg

And this is how this card looks IRL which clearly shows it is significantly oversized:
1080mini-1b.jpg

It's quite irresponsible from Zotac to do put renders on the product page, especially when they are not representing the product properly...

Because the 95W cooler isn't going to fit in the Sentry
buy something else then(hsf). most ppl arent using the intel stock hsf.
not to mention these chips/coolers are designed for regular computers(matx and up) not super tiny systems like sentry. itx is coming later, with appropriate chips and coolers(maybe small enough).
ps: not every product is going to fit your wants.

edit: speeling

Last edited:
if someone could upload lp53 dims (and maybe am4 bracket dims for another cooler/that cooler's dims) I could try to cad something up. (am4 bracket for lp53). Ej24 ?

Use at own risk however, if i post.

I have access to a waterjet & other equipment so it ll be really easy for me to make something.... I am tempted....

if someone could upload lp53 dims (and maybe am4 bracket dims for another cooler/that cooler's dims) I could try to cad something up. (am4 bracket for lp53). Ej24 ?

Use at own risk however, if i post.

I have access to a waterjet & other equipment so it ll be really easy for me to make something.... I am tempted....

Haha now I have an excuse to buy a digital caliper. We'll wait for boards to be released to see how different am4 mounting is from lga115x and if it's even possible. If it looks doable I could probably put together some 2d views of the LP53.

Crossing my fingers, hoping april rolls around (faster) with everything solved. Somehow I doubt that is gonna happen tho....

Edit: also curious, does putting a NF-A9 Pwm (25mm tall) on a L9i do anything for temps? / nvm used google

Edit2: Next step would be strapping a 120 on there hmmmmmmm

Edit3: Just curious but has anyone taken a Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B, where there is a space between the heatsink and the cpu, and cut it down to 47/46 mm? Seems like an interesting project

Note that according the computerbase, the Shuriken is already compatible to am4 using clips (ew)

Last edited:
buy something else then(hsf). most ppl arent using the intel stock hsf.
not to mention these chips/clooers are design for regular computers(matx and up) not super tiny systems like sentry. itx is coming later, with appropriate chips and coolers(maybe small enough).
ps: not every product is going to fit your wants.

Thank you for these gems of insight.

Edit2: Next step would be strapping a 120 on there hmmmmmmm

IIRC most of the air moved by a fan happens at the tip of the blade. A larger fan moves more air, but have less air flow though the CPU heatsink which is more central; a larger fan would keep the motherboard cooler.

Reactions: Ej24
like this
Hey Zombi and Saper,

How are things coming along? Has Indiegogo transferred the funds to you guys? All the suppliers have the necessary parts in stock? Is your metal fabricator/bender ready for such a large order? Everything else going according to plan now that the campaign was a success? I don't want to seem impatient or anything, just curious how things are going on your end. I'm sure I'm not alone in my curiosity.

Hey Zombi and Saper,

How are things coming along? Has Indiegogo transferred the funds to you guys? All the suppliers have the necessary parts in stock? Is your metal fabricator/bender ready for such a large order? Everything else going according to plan now that the campaign was a success? I don't want to seem impatient or anything, just curious how things are going on your end. I'm sure I'm not alone in my curiosity.

We are preparing a bigger update in the middle of this week. For now i can tell you that, thanks to bigger order we could talk with our suppliers to make some additional improvements in some things, like... this will be in the update :) Please be patient.

Back