SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Will the case be sold purely on 'first come, first serve basis'? Or will those who signed up for the newsletter be more likely to have orders filled first? Are you able to even monitor this? With LTT reviewing the case you may potentially have thousands of interested new buyers versus the few dozens that have been following for a long time. Most of their videos have 300,000-500,000 views. If even 1/1000 viewers decide to buy that could be the whole first production run of cases. While any and all customers help you, the sellers, it means those that have been diligently following may be out competed and have to wait months for another supply to be ready. Perhaps I am selfish. So be it. I've been salivating over this case for months haha.

We'll try to make sure and ship according to the order of payments but cross referencing payments with subscription time might be hard to do. On the other hand note the fact that production will scale up and the fact that we can do 25 or 100 units minimum doesn't mean that 1000 orders will be processed in 100 units batch. Our subcontractor making metal parts will be very pleased with such big order and will most likely prioritise us if that happens.

The same goes easily for the parts we're getting for the case - if we get more than we can easily pick DHL over simple post shipment. The only thing we could be slow at is processing those but that's we'll have to prepare to scale up when we gather the orders and it's pretty doable.

Worst case scenario is if we get 100 orders initially and then it stops for a week and we'd decide that's it for now and then it goes again after ordering everything etc etc. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Yeah I definitely don't see that happening.
Worst case scenario is if we get 100 orders initially and then it stops for a week and we'd decide that's it for now and then it goes again after ordering everything etc etc. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

If you go by case orders on a week-to-week or bi-monthly I think your average case orders will be well over 100 cases per "cycle/round". That way you can ship quicker instead of waiting months. BUT if it costs more to do "minimums" week-to-week or bi-monthly then I don't mind waiting to save you money. I do want you two to succeed.

Edit: I repeated a sentence, oops.

Last edited:
Cmon guys! My Raven RVZ02 asks for retirement. :) I've already purchased a Cryorig C7, to replace my current Silverstone AR06 and bring the rest of parts into my brand new shiny white Sentry. :)

Cmon guys! My Raven RVZ02 asks for retirement. :) I've already purchased a Cryorig C7, to replace my current Silverstone AR06 and bring the rest of parts into my brand new shiny white Sentry. :)

At this moment we are also waiting :) Package was sent to Linus to Canada and since we saw this photo on Linus Twitter, we are afraid to ask about the condition of our package...

Exporter info:
  • Thursday, 28 July
  • SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS HAVE DELAYED DELIVERY. / YOUR SHIPMENT IS SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE TODAY (28.07)
  • 07:36 - Departure scan, RICHMOND, CA
  • 07:17 - Import scan, RICHMOND, CA
Please be patient :)

At this moment we are also waiting :) Package was sent to Linus to Canada and since we saw this photo on Linus Twitter, we are afraid to ask about the condition of our package...
Please be patient :)
OMG! It seems like they chomped it! :nailbiting:
Ok, ok... I'll try to be patient. :whistle:

We want to start sending review samples starting next week. We're getting ready for that literally now. We'd like to launch sales before the summer ends and there's not much left to prepare in terms of what we need for production, we just have to organise stuff and be prepared to handle payments.

We'll obviously ship to Spain, whole EU, US and Canada, other countries will depend on how shipping looks to those countries including package insurance etc.

Thanks for the info, i can´t wait the release!!

There is a glaring typo already at the very beginning of the manual ("costumers" instead of "customers").
Proofreading is in ordrer.
Good luck with the case, it looks awesome.

gDs2xqb.png

Asking to put over 200W or 250W TDP card in such small space like SENTRY... really prava?
If You have some more of such ideas about our pc case, please share with us in our topic, or visit our SENTRY website. You don't have to insult other people. We don't share Your frustration about... no one knows about what. Please keep calm.

p.s. This is a DanA4 topic. Please keep with the main subject.

What are they supposed to put in the case? A 750Ti? People will put high-end components in your case. Look around this very topic, why do you think people are asking for specific dimensions or even specific cards? Do you really think anybody will spend 200€ on a case and not populate it with high-end hardware? So, since people will put high-power components in there... you should recommend them to use blower-style cards. Or at least you should test such options yourself so that you know what will happen and then you can save yourself the complaints of users not being properly informed and finding the hard way that small cases require cards with blowers if said case doesn't have fans.

In any case, do whatever you want to do. It is your product. But if you don't believe me about peoples intentions you should just go and check the thread for the NCASE and see what people put in their rigs... you will see that the answer is "whatever it fits". Or do a poll. See how many plan to put a sub-200W, and how many plan to put the biggest they can...

What are they supposed to put in the case? A 750Ti? People will put high-end components in your case. Look around this very topic, why do you think people are asking for specific dimensions or even specific cards? Do you really think anybody will spend 200€ on a case and not populate it with high-end hardware? So, since people will put high-power components in there... you should recommend them to use blower-style cards. Or at least you should test such options yourself so that you know what will happen and then you can save yourself the complaints of users not being properly informed and finding the hard way that small cases require cards with blowers if said case doesn't have fans.

In any case, do whatever you want to do. It is your product. But if you don't believe me about peoples intentions you should just go and check the thread for the NCASE and see what people put in their rigs... you will see that the answer is "whatever it fits". Or do a poll. See how many plan to put a sub-200W, and how many plan to put the biggest they can...

GTX970 - 145W
GTX980 - 165W
GTX1060 - 120W
GTX1070 - 150W
GTX1080 - 180W
RX480 - 150W

Aren't those cards classified as high-end? They don't reach 200 Watts. We have tested SENTRY with GTX970 Blower-type and R9-270X Windforce 3 (180W), and we didn't have throttling during heavy gaming sessions or in benchmarks like Heaven. GPU's could hit the target temperatures but they stayed there and never throttled in our configurations with those benchmarks.

We know some people will want to put inside some cards over 200W, but we don't own every card on the market. This is also why we are sending SENTRY for external reviews. Guys like Linus have many different graphics cards and they can check which one will be ok, and which one will be too much for our PC case. We didn't do any recommendations, because we don't have enough data to do so. That is why SENTRY isn't released yet.

SPOTTED the pre-2016 high end AMD user!!!

From LTT forum 2 hours ago
It's a high priority project for me.

Been waiting on some custom Cablemod cables for it so I can see what optimal cable management might look like (possibly a requirement for the Titan X I plan to install) in this case.

They arrived yesterday and I'm working on this review right now. There's often more to our scheduling than meets the eye.

Linus

Hmm, I'm going to have to go find that forum post. I would love to know what cables he felt were necessary.

Also... Titan X. I wonder if that will be powerful enough to satisfy Prava. ;)

EDIT:

Seriously though, I can't wait. I sold my i5-3670k (Which still ran games perfectly even on stock clocks) to a friend who needed a little help putting together his first rig... and gaming on an ivy bridge pentium just doesn't cut it. (Plus my GTX 670 FTW is getting a little long in the tooth. Nothing like the 9800GT it replaced, but still.)

The only thing holding me off a new rig is wanting to wait for the SENTRY to release... heck, I might even be able to upgrade to Kaby Lake! (I kid, I kid - I'm just really excited.)

So here's an interesting thought...

Even the lauded Cryorig C7 (nor what should have been the amazing ID-Cooling IS-VC45) can properly manage an overclocked Skylake i5, at least not from what I've read.

So does it make more sense to get an i5-6500 and live with a locked frequency but only 65TDP, or does it still make sense to get a 6600K and try to overclock / undervolt and get a few hundred more MHz out of the deal? (Yes, the 6600 gets you .1GHz more, but it's also $15 more.)

You save $30 between the two chips, and if you go for a cheaper h170 motherboard, you're looking at saving about another $30... unless you're a fool like me, who puts all his money into electronics, in which case you'd be buying a Maximus VIII impact for $235... so I'd save something more along the lines of $120.

I suppose what it comes down to is this: Is there a good h170 motherboard that supports an mSATA SSD AND a Mini PCIe wifi chip? Because not even the Maximus can do that. (Something that the ASUS forums have been outraged by, since previous generations had the capability.)

So here's an interesting thought...
[cut]
I have an i5-6500, and with my Silverstone AR06 it barely touches 50C.
And it's pushed inside a "difficult" case, such as the Silverstone RVZ02, passively cooled.
Tinkering about my stats, i wonder if an i5-6600 could be cooled with ease too, without changing the current cooler.
But, and it is my personal opinion, inside a low profile case like mine and Sentry ones * passively cooled * I'd suggest to avoid to break the 65W TDP barrier.

Last edited:
I have an i5-6500, and with my Silverstone AR066 it barely touches 50C.
And it's pushed inside a "difficult" case, such as the Silverstone RVZ02, passively cooled.
Tinkering about my stats, i wonder if an i5-6600 could be cooled with ease too, without changing the current cooler.
But, and it is my personal opinion, inside a low profile case like mine and Sentry ones * passively cooled * I'd suggest to avoid to break the 65W TDP barrier.

Could be cooled just fine. They have similar TDP. Overclocking causes diminished returns in clockspeed vs power usage. That is why intel stock clocks are the way they are, they avoid hitting the diminished returns.

Whats the best aircooler that will fit in the Sentry? I know the C7 is a good one but anything better?

Whats the best aircooler that will fit in the Sentry? I know the C7 is a good one but anything better?
How much do you plan on overclocking your CPU? If you want something that much better than an already fantastic air cooler, this form factor of a case probably isn't right for you.

One thought that has me drooling is that "CoolChip Technologies" claims to be releasing a 70W cooler based off of the Sandia National Labs design. It doesn't seem to be nearly as impressive as the original Sandia cooler, some four years ago, but I would absolutely love to see what it does in a mini-ITX case like this.

Yeah, but that's imho still few years ahead of us because it's going to be terribly expensive initially due to cnc precision required.

Yeah, but that's imho still few years ahead of us because it's going to be terribly expensive initially due to cnc precision required.

...yeah, that's fair. Honestly, though, I've been excited for that cooler since first stumbling upon it; I just wish it were slightly more viable.

The C7 is a remarkable cooler for its size, but it doesn't really have overclocking headroom (at least not for me, plunked in the middle of a desert), and I'd love to find some other viable solution. An insane custom HarperCollins loop still isn't out of the option, it's just less likely now that college takes up a lot of my free time.

Edit: Watercooling. Way to go, autocorrect. :p

Unfortunately I don't believe Gigabytes Mini 1070 will fit, even with the recessed PEG connectors. Their website specs tab show the height as W=131 mm, and after contacting Gigabyte I received an email where the measurement is from the "golden fingers" or PCI to the top of the card.

Here is a crude copy paste of the email. I don't know how to accurately copy and paste an email without blanking personal info like full names like a screenshot or something.

Hi (my name),

The dimensions for GV-N1070IXOC-8GD are H=37 L=169 W=131 mm including the golden fingers.

Best regards,

Gigabyte
Henry (last name)

I'm saddened by this news as no other manufacture has come out or even announced a mini 1070 other than Gigabyte. Which I wanted to purchase now cause Star Citizen is a little to taxing on my 670.

If you know more and believe the card would fit please let me know.

Unfortunately I don't believe Gigabytes Mini 1070 will fit, even with the recessed PEG connectors. Their website specs tab show the height as W=131 mm, and after contacting Gigabyte I received an email where the measurement is from the "golden fingers" or PCI to the top of the card.

Here is a crude copy paste of the email. I don't know how to accurately copy and paste an email without blanking personal info like full names like a screenshot or something.

Hi (my name),

The dimensions for GV-N1070IXOC-8GD are H=37 L=169 W=131 mm including the golden fingers.

Best regards,

Gigabyte
Henry (last name)

I'm saddened by this news as no other manufacture has come out or even announced a mini 1070 other than Gigabyte. Which I wanted to purchase now cause Star Citizen is a little to taxing on my 670.

If you know more and believe the card would fit please let me know.

Why not put a standard size gpu in the case? As far as I know the Sentry accepts standard (IE reference) gpu's without a hiccup. Maybe you are confusing this case with another one?

Why not put a standard size gpu in the case? As far as I know the Sentry accepts standard (IE reference) gpu's without a hiccup. Maybe you are confusing this case with another one?

Shorter card for more drives.

Edit: You're right I can put any number of 1070s in there, but will be limited to 1 drive (motherboard has cpu near the pcie slot) with no m.2. I have 5 hard drives total and use an external caddy over usb which is less than ideal.

Actually that's not entirely true - if you have a blower type gpu then you can mount one 2.5" drive under the gpu unless the blower inlet is close enough to the drive spot to be blocked off which I think might be only true for some TI/Titan units.

I've been running this config and it works perferctly for SSD + HDD config and now Zombi is running his SENTRY like this.

Ah very true, forgot about that(y)

Here's to hoping others will be making a better mini 1070!

Looks like Linus put there parts that have like 400W TDP in total (140W i7 Extreme/Xeon E5 CPU + 250W Titan X GPU + SSD) and went with some kind of burn-in synthetic tests on that.

This is a case where you should probably go for something around 225W TDP in total (65W non-K i7/E3 + 150W RX480/GTX1070 GPU + SSD) to have it running at proper temps. Hopefully Linus will draw the line on what you should get for it to be safe and we'll use that as a recommendation.

Looks like Linus put there parts that have like 400W TDP in total (140W i7 Extreme/Xeon E5 CPU + 250W Titan X GPU + SSD) and went with some kind of burn-in synthetic tests on that.

This is a case where you should probably go for something around 225W TDP in total (65W non-K i7/E3 + 150W RX480/GTX1070 GPU + SSD) to have it running at proper temps. Hopefully Linus will draw the line on what you should get for it to be safe and we'll use that as a recommendation.

Love your case and really looking forward to it. I like that he is doing this "torture" configuration, so we can see the absolute potential this case has for heat management/tolerance. I hope he finishes the review sooner than later.

1.JPG

You specify the max CPU cooler height as 47mm (the same height as the Cryorig C7 as in the picture above from the official site zaber.com.pl), but to me it looks like there is significant headroom left above the cooler, if you compare it to the relative height of the SFX-L power supply in the picture (which is 64mm high). Obviously 64mm would much too high for the CPU cooler because you have to take into account that the motherboard is raised and the CPU is also on top of it, whereas the power supply is placed right at the bottom. Do you think the Silverstone AR06 (58mm) would fit? If not, exactly how much headroom above that Cryorig C7 is there between the top side of the case (i.e. distance between top of CPU cooler and top of PSU)?

I'm hoping to buy this case to replace my RVZ02 as soon as it becomes available to me in Ireland, but I'd prefer not to have to purchase a smaller CPU than my AR06. I would go with the C7 as that would probably provide similar thermal performance, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the EU.

The case is absolutely beautiful, the size is perfect and the build quality looks amazing in the pictures. Looking forward to what Linus has to say about it.

While the picture appears to show some headroom, it really doesn't. Maybe a mm or two max. I believe its 47 mm because the case to CPU block is about 15 mm p/m 1 mm (standoffs (7 mm) + height of the CPU in its socket (8 mm)). I currently have the C7 and am very impressed with it, glad I chose it over the Noctua.

You specify the max CPU cooler height as 47mm (the same height as the Cryorig C7 as in the picture above from the official site zaber.com.pl), but to me it looks like there is significant headroom left above the cooler, if you compare it to the relative height of the SFX-L power supply in the picture (which is 64mm high). Obviously 64mm would much too high for the CPU cooler because you have to take into account that the motherboard is raised and the CPU is also on top of it, whereas the power supply is placed right at the bottom. Do you think the Silverstone AR06 (58mm) would fit? If not, exactly how much headroom above that Cryorig C7 is there between the top side of the case (i.e. distance between top of CPU cooler and top of PSU)?

I'm hoping to buy this case to replace my RVZ02 as soon as it becomes available to me in Ireland, but I'd prefer not to have to purchase a smaller CPU than my AR06. I would go with the C7 as that would probably provide similar thermal performance, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the EU.

The case is absolutely beautiful, the size is perfect and the build quality looks amazing in the pictures. Looking forward to what Linus has to say about it.

Those 47mm are measured from without the cpu height/mount system:

20150909_c7_00.jpg

We've got 64mm inside, but:

1) standoffs are instaled on an internal piece of 1mm metal sheet and they are 7mm tall so its 8mm taken here
2) ATX board by specs take 1.65mm
3) CPU in LGA socket stands out around 6mm from the board surfaces so combined its another 8mm here

Subtract those from 64mm and you get 48mm and of course there need to be that 1 mm of clearance so your fan won't scratch the cover surface while spinning.

I think You should look at other photos to understand what made You think that the cooler is lower than the PSU surface is the fact that those aren't aligned:

DSC_19162.JPG

The PSU needs some space from the edge of the case so regardless of the power connector location you can connect the cable to it while still leaving some space for the USB.

Those 47mm are measured from without the cpu height/mount system:

20150909_c7_00.jpg

We've got 64mm inside, but:

1) standoffs are instaled on an internal piece of 1mm metal sheet and they are 7mm tall so its 8mm taken here
2) ATX board by specs take 1.65mm
3) CPU in LGA socket stands out around 6mm from the board surfaces so combined its another 8mm here

Subtract those from 64mm and you get 48mm and of course there need to be that 1 mm of clearance so your fan won't scratch the cover surface while spinning.

I think You should look at other photos to understand what made You think that the cooler is lower than the PSU surface is the fact that those aren't aligned:

DSC_19162.JPG

The PSU needs some space from the edge of the case so regardless of the power connector location you can connect the cable to it while still leaving some space for the USB.
Understood. Many thanks for your response.
It makes complete sense, I just wasn't sure exactly how much height the motherboard + CPU actually take up. I suppose I'll keep looking for a C7 then, otherwise I'll probably go for the Alpenföhn Silvretta.

Thanks again, and good luck with production and launch.

I'm not entirely sure if C7 is the best choice though - it looks great and performs quite OK but its mount is not perfect. Notice that I've mounted mine in a way the radiator fins are directed from front to back of the case which isn't optimal. That's because the bottom of the radiator collides with power section in other direction and I'm not entirely sure if there's a proper connection between the surface of the CPU and the radiator.

Apart from that there's a problem with it's mount plate that collides with components on some boards AND screws go outside under the motherboard around 8mm while ATX specs limit to 6.35mm - we're just lucky to use 7mm standoffs and have that cutout under the motherboard giving us this 8th millimetre.

Finally it's quite silent with open case but when i close the lid, that 1mm distance make it really audible and at this point what comes in mind is what Cryorig was thinking when they designed it to be so small to fit sff cases but didn't think about it being loud when fan is close to air inlet.

There's a chance that having cooler but fan spinning faster might be better than both C7 and BOX hence the distance from the air inlet.

The mount plate colliding with components on the underside doesn't seem to be an issue any longer; I bought a C7 last week and it included a pack of short screws with rubber/plastic stoppers; specifically to be used as an alternative to the bulky mount plate on ITX boards.

Really looking forward to this case, you guys have done an excellent job with it's design :)

Back