SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

I am definitely interested!

It might be a little while. International Shipping again. Luckily just from Canada this time.

I can't wait for the Thermolab cpu coolers to arrive. Just one more month. Then hopefully Sentry will arrive as planned in April. This is shaping up to be an exciting spring. Sentry. Ryzen. Vega. Perhaps 1080ti. So much to look forward to.

Haha I might be to blame. I just purchased a 1080 cooler off ebay for a friend's 1070FE. Wow the 1070fe cooler is bad. I didn't think the vapor chamber of the 1080 made so much of a difference but my 1080 runs cooler, quieter and cools down much much quicker. His 1070 gets hot and stays hot. I'll post some results here when we swap the cooler for anyone else interested in this seemingly easy mod/upgrade.

Haha, it probably was! The Titan X and 1080 are EXACTLY the same you said right? And for the 1070, I'll have to purchase a 1070FE right? not just any old 1070? Thanks :)

I am definitely interested!

Same :)

It might be a little while. International Shipping again. Luckily just from Canada this time.

I can't wait for the Thermolab cpu coolers to arrive. Just one more month. Then hopefully Sentry will arrive as planned in April. This is shaping up to be an exciting spring. Sentry. Ryzen. Vega. Perhaps 1080ti. So much to look forward to.

You waiting for the ITX30? Or is there something else I haven't seen? I've still got my eye on the TT Engine 37 for my build, hoping it will bring the goods.

Haha, it probably was! The Titan X and 1080 are EXACTLY the same you said right? And for the 1070, I'll have to purchase a 1070FE right? not just any old 1070? Thanks :)

Same :)

You waiting for the ITX30? Or is there something else I haven't seen? I've still got my eye on the TT Engine 37 for my build, hoping it will bring the goods.

Titan cooler should be compatible. But I do not own a Titan or Titan cooler to confirm this. Only issue may be the 8+6pin power connection versus the single 8pin on the 1070 and 1080. The underlying frame may be altered to accommodate this. Try to find as many pictures of tear downs as you can to make sure they're the same. Worst case scenario, it doesn't fit and you resell the Titan cooler and you're out maybe $15 for shipping. Also, keep in mind, removing the cooler may void your warranty so do so at your own risk.

A 1070fe is the best way to ensure compatibility. There may be some other 1070's that use the reference pcb but I don't know which do, if any at all.

I'm waiting on the Thermolab itx30 and LP53. With a low profile fan, the LP53 should fit in sentry and appears it should outperform the noctua nh-l9i by 5C. Itx30 should perform almost the same as noctua nh-l9i so I figured I'd try it too.

>How to cripple cooling

For his design it shouldn't have any noticeable effect with a blower style GPU. Maybe a degree and I believe the GPU has enough vented surface area to provide enough cooling for it. Loved his design and I'll have to look into some designs until then. Already have some Deep Black 3M vinyl my cart waiting :).

Do you guys know what LUCK means? I will tell you:

We decided we will not be using PAYPAL, because it is not safe for both users and creators in terms of crowdfunding. Many of you asked to change our decision, but we made it for the good of the whole project.

Now is the fun part:

- 10th of January - Start of SENTRY indiegogo campaign,
- 11th of January - indiegogo stops cooperation with PAYPAL (link)

If we would decide to start the campaign with paypal, we predict that there would be a lot more problems with getting funds than in the situation when cooperation with indiegogo still existed. How luciky is that? :)

Do you guys know what LUCK means? I will tell you:

We decided we will not be using PAYPAL, because it is not safe for both users and creators in terms of crowdfunding. Many of you asked to change our decision, but we made it for the good of the whole project.

Now is the fun part:

- 10th of January - Start of SENTRY indiegogo campaign,
- 11th of January - indiegogo stops cooperation with PAYPAL (link)

If we would decide to start the campaign with paypal, we predict that there would be a lot more problems with getting funds than in the situation when cooperation with indiegogo still existed. How luciky is that? :)

CONSPIRACY! How do I cancel my payment?!?! :smuggrin:

Hello! looking for news on the best heat sink and the test made by some of you as a fan it would seem that the best is the tr ty100 But if you do not understand how the copper radiator is better dynatron T318 or COOLTEK lp53, what do you think? we have to find a definitive solution as CPU cooling.

another question. They are using an LP53 and as a fan Thermalright tr-ty100 (a slim 100mm fan) we are sure that there is everything? (Ram, cables)

another question. They are using an LP53 and as a fan Thermalright tr-ty100 (a slim 100mm fan) we are sure that there is everything? (Ram, cables)

I'm not sure a 100mm fan will be able to be mounted on the LP53? I thought I had seen it is a 92mm x 25mm fan that comes stock, so not sure how a 100mm will fit. I'm much more interested in the LP53 than the dynatron t318 as the LP53 is purposely designed for lga115x. The dynatron, while it may perform better, is for lga2011 and will always require modification to fit lga115x. Additionally the dynatron is less likely to be compatible with ram, pcie, etc.

I'm not sure a 100mm fan will be able to be mounted on the LP53? I thought I had seen it is a 92mm x 25mm fan that comes stock, so not sure how a 100mm will fit. I'm much more interested in the LP53 than the dynatron t318 as the LP53 is purposely designed for lga115x. The dynatron, while it may perform better, is for lga2011 and will always require modification to fit lga115x. Additionally the dynatron is less likely to be compatible with ram, pcie, etc.

I think both the LP53 and the Dynatron are interesting options. I really want to see how the LP53 performs with the slim fan on it so that it'll fit into our case... if it's not good enough, then a modded LGA 2011 cooler it is. ;)

Just wondering with the open gpu coolers, would placing a divider between the gpu and cpu chamber help with temps? Some thin plastic or cardboard would probably do.

100 millimetri si adatta. Io sono molto più interessato al LP53 rispetto

here from the forum site is dan fresh longer match the lp53 with the fan tr ty100 that and 100mm and 1.5 cm wide. if all goes well for the dan it is good for sentry?

Attachments

• cpu_loadnhrmq.jpg
    cpu_loadnhrmq.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 46
here from the forum site is dan fresh longer match the lp53 with the fan tr ty100 that and 100mm and 1.5 cm wide. if all goes well for the dan it is good for sentry?

Yes, it appears this 100mm fan is a viable option. When I receive the lp53 I will try to also get a tr ty100

I plan on eventually getting custom cablemod cables for the sentry. Since most systems will have close to the same layout have you guys come up with cable length chart?

Reactions: Rysen
like this
no you have to do that yourself. yes systems are similar but not exact and they would have to be extra long to cover all the variable. then youd get ppl bitching about the length...

I don't know if you are fans of DIY videos, but YetAnotherTechChannel just uploaded two of them, with Sentry involved:

that actually looks really good but he should have punched through all the holes in the vinyl to prevent airflow loss.
and dude in the vids looks like Moby! GO!

I plan on eventually getting custom cablemod cables for the sentry. Since most systems will have close to the same layout have you guys come up with cable length chart?

This is something I don't want to put in a table for two reasons. The first one is that depending on whether your PSU has cheap, "classic" zap strapped cables, braided cables or a ribbon like the silverstone has you'll have different flexibility of such cables. For example silverstone ribbons are the real reason that Mr Zbigniew had some issues with the SFX-L power supply in last video, not the form factor itself. If I were to tell you the exact length for the cables and you'll get those stiff ribbons, then routing the cables might be real pain, especially bending the 24pin connector to its socket on the motherboard.

And it's just like pendragon said:

no you have to do that yourself. yes systems are similar but not exact and they would have to be extra long to cover all the variable. then youd get ppl bitching about the length...

Form factor is the same, but you have different layout from board to board even with same vendor.

Also we still don't know how the X300 boards will look like for AMD Ryzen. AM4 is supposedly larger and the X300 chipset is somewhat just a terminator for the chipset inside ZEN SoC so we might see some completely new layout that wasn't existing before, like for example mini itx board with 4 x full size DDR4 DIMM and centrally mounted socket since X300 will take almost no space on the PCB. And that could be the reason for X300 boards not being unveiled yet at the CES, they might be just saving this up for launch day since mITX is really popular now. They might be a different layout innovation with it as well, but all the ideas about multiple M.2 slots may not add up to the pci-e lane limit on X300.

Anyway it's not something we can do for you - there's too many variables in this equation. Buy PSU, mount it inside and zap strap the surplus ATX24/PEG/SATA cables together and put them between the GPU and central wall. At least that's how I did it.

that actually looks really good but he should have punched through all the holes in the vinyl to prevent airflow loss.
and dude in the vids looks like Moby! GO!

Someone asked on social media why Chris Pratt is reviewing our case after seeing Dmitry from HardwareCanucks :p

I second this. It would be very helpful.
Edit:Never mind see post 2064

I am also looking forward to the lp53 test. I have done quite a bit of research into this without testing it myself and if the lp53 outperforms the c7 then I would call it the best CPU cooler for Small cases, can't be sure about the sentry since there is not a lot of information but definitely for all other cases that can only fit 47mm tall cpu coolers.

Last edited:
I second this. It would be very helpful.

I am also looking forward to the lp53 test. I have done quite a bit of research into this without testing it myself and if the lp53 outperforms the c7 then I would call it the best CPU cooler for Small cases, can't be sure about the sentry since there is not a lot of information but definitely for all other cases that can only fit 47mm tall cpu coolers.

Don't worry I'll drop everything and do the benchmarking as soon as I receive the cooler.

I too was interested in CableMod cables. However, I already contacted them about shorter cables than they have on their website configurator and they said it's not possible. Very unfortunate as their shortest 24pin is 250mm!! My atx connection will be right next to the psu in sentry! I need 100mm at most by my estimate. I'm tempted to make my own psu cables. I'd just need pins and a crimper tool. I just hate to make a mistake and fry something. Plus their sleeving is grade A. With no experience, mine will look like a child did it.

I'll definitely get individual sata power cables as I hate the daisy chain style that have 4 on one cable. Impossible to manage.

I've seen Icemodz around. Not sure about shortest possible length they offer. Maybe need to contact them personally.

Maybe someone can suggest another custom psu cable provider?

Last edited:
Don't worry I'll drop everything and do the benchmarking as soon as I receive the cooler.

I too was interested in CableMod cables. However, I already contacted them about shorter cables than they have on their website configurator and they said it's not possible. Very unfortunate as their shortest 24pin is 250mm!! My atx connection will be right next to the psu in sentry! I need 100mm at most by my estimate. I'm tempted to make my own psu cables. I'd just need pins and a crimper tool. I just hate to make a mistake and fry something. Plus their sleeving is grade A. With no experience, mine will look like a child did it.

I'll definitely get individual sata power cables as I hate the daisy chain style that have 4 on one cable. Impossible to manage.

I've seen Icemodz around. Not sure about shortest possible length they offer. Maybe need to contact them personally.

Maybe someone can suggest another custom psu cable provider?
I just checked their website, the smallest they offer is 300mm unfortunately.

Hello again!

As we all know, single black Sentry cases from the First Batch were sold out in the less than 3 days (!) and many of you did not have an opportunity to order them. We are getting many questions from people asking if there is still any chance of getting a single Black Sentry in the First Batch of production run. The answer is YES, but you have to be quick. Here you have an information how to do it:

If at the end of campaign, number of cases sold as First Batch (both white and black) will be lower than 1000 units, then missing cases will be added from Long Run: SENTRY Black perk to fulfill this number. Time of contribution for the Long Run batch will decide which orders will be qualified for transferring to the First Batch.

Example: At the end of campaign 800 units from First Batch of 1000 cases will be ordered. It means there are 200 units more which can be produced in that batch. These missing cases will be added from the Long Run: SENTRY Black batch, according to the time of contribution.

It means, if you still want to have a chance to get Single Black Sentry in the First Batch, you will have to hurry with your order of Long Run: SENTRY Black. At this moment this is the only way you can get single black Sentry in the 1st production run. Remember: time of your contribution will decide if you will be qualified for transferring to the First Batch. All Long Run orders which will not be qualified for First Batch, will be processed starting from the next week after the end of First Batch shippment.

So got this update.. so does that mean there are like 100-200 Black Sentrys available for First Batch?

So I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of these but realized the GTX 1070 Mini isn't compatible with it. Is it fair to say there isn't a 1070 that exists that would allow you to use one of the 2.5 hard drive brackets in the GPU bay?
Correct me if I am wrong but I might have some GOOD NEWS! The new GALAX GTX 1070 OC Mini should be the first 1070 mini series that fits the case and allows rooms for extra storage in the GPU bracket. You can now get a pair of Sentry like you wanted Knolly (hopefully the price is reasonable). Info below:

• Dimensions(with Bracket): 195 x 130 x 41.5 mm
    • Dimensions(without Bracket): 181 x 116 x 38.6 mm

http://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/10-series/galax-geforcer-gtx-1070-oc-mini.html

Please add it to the list right away. A lot of people who really need storage are going to like this card.

Last edited:
I might be going a little bit crazy with plans for this case.

I'm pretty sure when the Dynatron B2 cooler goes up for sale I'll be able to MacGyver it in to my Sentry build. It's an all copper 1U 165W vapor chamber. Stated dimensions on their site put it at about 15mm narrower+longer than the stock Intel HSF.

The main difference is that it's squared, not rounded. I'd have to copper shim it up a few mm and over the corners of the keep-out zone and the southbridge area, so it can extend all the way down to the PCI-E slot. Either zipties or a 3D printed bracket should hold it down OK.

If there's enough vertical room left above the 1U HS after shimming, I can take out the PSU fan and run dual CoolerMaster 120x15mm fans on top for 110CFM of airflow. High OC 6600K in 7L would be lots of fun to play with :)

I might be going a little bit crazy with plans for this case.

I'm pretty sure when the Dynatron B2 cooler goes up for sale I'll be able to MacGyver it in to my Sentry build. It's an all copper 1U 165W vapor chamber. Stated dimensions on their site put it at about 15mm narrower+longer than the stock Intel HSF.

The main difference is that it's squared, not rounded. I'd have to copper shim it up a few mm and over the corners of the keep-out zone and the southbridge area, so it can extend all the way down to the PCI-E slot. Either zipties or a 3D printed bracket should hold it down OK.

If there's enough vertical room left above the 1U HS after shimming, I can take out the PSU fan and run dual CoolerMaster 120x15mm fans on top for 110CFM of airflow. High OC 6600K in 7L would be lots of fun to play with :)

That sounds extremely intriguing. Do you have a link to some pictures of it? I'm struggling to find anything on that cooler.

Edit: I found the product page but it only has one image. http://www.dynatron-corp.com/?product=b2

Last edited:
That sounds extremely intriguing. Do you have a link to some pictures of it? I'm struggling to find anything on that cooler.

Link to their site - http://www.dynatron-corp.com/?product=b2

I can't find anywhere to buy it at the moment though. Probably because LGA3647 isn't actually out yet. That is going to be a monster die size with equally massive heat generation.

The Dynatron B2 is an LGA3647 heatsink. The socket is almost as long as a full (not SODIMM) DDR4 DIMM! I don't think it's going to fit onto any LGA 155x board due to clearance issues with components around the socket. You'd need to add a shim the same thickness of the highest component covered, and at that point it's not so much a shim as just a big block of copper.

The Dynatron B2 is an LGA3647 heatsink. The socket is almost as long as a full (not SODIMM) DDR4 DIMM! I don't think it's going to fit onto any LGA 155x board due to clearance issues with components around the socket. You'd need to add a shim the same thickness of the highest component covered, and at that point it's not so much a shim as just a big block of copper.

I mean, that is what I said...

The main difference is that it's squared, not rounded. I'd have to copper shim it up a few mm and over the corners of the keep-out zone and the southbridge area, so it can extend all the way down to the PCI-E slot.

The thing is, it's actually narrower than the stock HSF. On my board (Z170i pro gaming) all the tall chokes and such are north, east, and west of the socket. There's really nothing except for a small southbridge heatsink between the CPU and GPU sockets. 2-4mm of copper shimming isn't too far out of the norm. If it's really too tall I take the mobo HS off and shim it into this monster as well.

I feel like filling all the available space in this case not occupied with components, with heatsink and fan is kind of optimal, no? I enjoyed looking at the CLC and short GPU earlier but I've never been a liquid cooling kind of guy.

Yikes. I didn't realize it was THAT long.

It's actually 25mm shorter than a standard DIMM, according to Wikipedia. I don't have any handy (or a caliper) but he's making it sound even more huge than it actually is. Right now I'm just operating under the assumption that the manufacturer specs are correct, which should fit with a bit of shim action.

The Dynatron B2 is an LGA3647 heatsink. The socket is almost as long as a full (not SODIMM) DDR4 DIMM!

It's actually 25mm shorter than a standard DIMM, according to Wikipedia. I don't have any handy (or a caliper) but he's making it sound even more huge than it actually is.
Put another way, it's 13mm longer and 17mm narrower than the 115x socket footprint (95x95mm).

Also: congrats SaperPL and ZombiPL on your successful campaign. You've done a really great, professional job on the whole thing, and it's success is well deserved. I thought the video was especially well done. (y)

Back