SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Is it possible to replace 3.0 usb with usb 3.1 front panel cable? It could be an additional cable or even buying option due to increasing popularity of 3.1 usb.
3.1usb_header.png

did you ask this in another sff thread? why would they change the case for only a single mobo right now with 3.1?! best bet it to [H]-up and mod one in.

I've seen that earlier and I think that Linus is at some point far away from what normal users seek in PC because he's got used to having more new stuff rather then reusing the old unless for the sake of some kind of video. Because of that he's more prone to neglect the fact that this kind of thing is really not future proof, but at the same time all of the electronic markets go in this direction where vendors make a planned ageing of the product.

What was not fair in his statement imo is the fact that Linus compared a low TDP CPU, low TDP GPU (1060 3GB) with his own test of our case on ultra-high-end power hungry components in terms of thermal performance, where our case is clearly not targeting the TDP range of components used in Linus's review of Sentry.

Anyway it's a different targeted product than Sentry.

As for the External AOC screen - it looks okay and the price is not bad, but you can pick up ASUS MB169B+ already. It's not my kind of mobility at this moment since I've got spare monitors at all locations where I go with the pc, but I might get interested in the future if more of those pop up.

Hmm, that's actually a very fair point. He's got a very different perspective on things, doesn't he. Granted, he has the ability to do that, but it would skew his opinions.

(As for the heat comment... yeaaaah. He put completely unreasonable parts in your case, and even though he admitted it, he still judged it based on that.)

Good call on the Asus monitor. I just really wish that the SPUD projector had bothered to have decent specs - if anybody made a 1080p or 1440p foldable projector that connected with USB C / display port, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

did you ask this in another sff thread? why would they change the case for only a single mobo right now with 3.1?! best bet it to [H]-up and mod one in.
It's just a cable with another header. There's no need to change something in the case. But it will make sentry stay up-to-date longer.

exactly. so why cant you just ebay one and put it in yourself?! maybe when its standard on mobos cases will need it.

Is it possible to replace 3.0 usb with usb 3.1 front panel cable? It could be an additional cable or even buying option due to increasing popularity of 3.1 usb.
View attachment 14304

At this point not really.

First of all that type of onboard internal connector is not yet a standard and we'd have problem with backward compatibility of this. We've had similar problem when USB 3.0 20pin header wasn't yet in all motherboards and we tried getting backward compatible headers or adapters for 2.0 and for the most part those were quite expensive. We've dropped this support thanks to USB 3.0 20pin being widely implemented in all boards starting with skylake.

Secondly there's no such connector cable like the one we're using at this point and we're definitely won't be making such huge last minute changes just to fit type C connector on the front panel.

We're supporting reference USB 1.1/2.0 dual port bracket cable that is 60mm wide with 47mm mounting hole spacing. There are still USB 3.0 cables in this format and we're including such as a front panel. I think that when the 3.1 connector gets mainstream, we may see a combo dual port connector in this format with type A + type C. When that happens, you'll be able to upgrade your front panel to type C.

It's just a cable with another header. There's no need to change something in the case. But it will make sentry stay up-to-date longer.

Not really. Type C connector has different shape so we'd either have to leave the front panel holes for rectangular type A and make it look really bad with different shape of connector inside or change the shape of the hole which would make the case front look slightly differently. And there's of course a lot of boards that don't have this type of connector in which case they couldn't use front panel ports with usb 3.0 or 2.0 if we've changed the shape of hole.

Finally the Type C is a smaller connector and most likely has smaller connector clearance than type A. Type A let's you have more than 2mm of distance between the connector face and extern of the chassis because the connector is quite big itself. We've got two layers of 1mm thick steel making up the front of the case where the USB front panel is mounted. If we were to use only one layer of metal, the front wouldn't have the screws flushed in elegantly like it is now and there would be additional structural integrity problems with psu mount because of that single piece being cut just so the usb type C would be closer to the external surface of the front panel.

TL;DR - it's not that simple.

If you can find such dual port connector that is matching our spec on ebay or aliexpress then I'd like to know where to get this to try sourcing it at least for a reference to the others.

exactly. so why cant you just ebay one and put it in yourself?! maybe when its standard on mobos cases will need it.
Ok, maybe you're right. But it will be hard to replace, if sentry usb front panel mounted with glue or rivets.

Ok, maybe you're right. But it will be hard to replace, if sentry usb front panel mounted with glue or rivets.
if they are using standard panel mount usb port(which it sounds like in the above post) then they will be screwed in or bolted as the socket is threaded.

We're using literally this (but completely blue):

sku_127328_1.jpg

This is easy to mount to the front panel and its screws make up for the part of aesthetic of case.

Currently type C+A combo front panels look like this:

sku_422138_1.jpg

I think it is possible to make a metal adapter for this type of front panel to replace the front panel of Sentry.

You can simply cut down this metal piece visible in the photo around to fit inside the case. You'll need to add two threaded bushings on the sides with 47mm distance first so you can screw that to the front of the case or you can look for another method of adding a thread to this like simply tightening an M3 nut with some glue on the other side of the holes.

I'm not entirely sure if the Type C port will be ideally in center of the rectangular hole.

If you find some front panel with this new connector type, then let me know :)

We're using literally this (but completely blue):

sku_127328_1.jpg

This is easy to mount to the front panel and its screws make up for the part of aesthetic of case.

Currently type C+A combo front panels look like this:

sku_422138_1.jpg

I think it is possible to make a metal adapter for this type of front panel to replace the front panel of Sentry.

You can simply cut down this metal piece visible in the photo around to fit inside the case. You'll need to add two threaded bushings on the sides with 47mm distance first so you can screw that to the front of the case or you can look for another method of adding a thread to this like simply tightening an M3 nut with some glue on the other side of the holes.

I'm not entirely sure if the Type C port will be ideally in center of the rectangular hole.

If you find some front panel with this new connector type, then let me know :)

Thanks for a clear explanation. In my opinion usb type C like a micro usb suits only for a mobile devices and there's no point to use it in desktop pcs. As I see, it will be surely possible in near future to buy cable like you use in sentry but with odd 3.1 usb header and two usb 3.1 type A ports and easily plug it into senrtry case.

Last edited:
What do you think about http://www.tomshardware.com/news/aoc-monitor-usb-type-c,33355.html connected gpu via dp -> usb cable?

There are many USB monitors and the type of display processor they have inside for handling usb video signal doesn't allow for USB to hdmi or dp or anything else. They use an internal display-link controller that uses the pc's cpu to drive the display and cannot use a gpu. There is only one portable display with HDMI input (with power supplied over usb) that I'm aware of from GeChic.

https://www.amazon.com/GeChic-2501C-Portable-Monitor-Inputs/dp/B00H4MWMWQ

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of you guys are keeping asking us in posts, via pm and emails about our predictions for our indiegogo campaign. Will it be quick and successful or will we have to wait full month for the end of the campaign?

We do not know the answer for above question but we can give you some rough numbers which may say a little bit more:

~1 400 000 - views on youtube (all reviews)
~500 000 - topic views (all forums)
~12 500 - all newsletter subscribers
~7 000 - activated newsletter subscribers (who confirmed their activation email)
~1 500 - all visitors per day on Sentry website
~25 500 - unique visitors per month on Sentry website

We should be able to hit this 100 orders for minimum production limit, but we can't say if we will hit upper limit of 1000 units in a day, week, month or at all. We have less than 48h to go (to the start of the indiegogo campaign), and then we will get some knowledge in this matter.

Wow thanks for the stats, I'm impressed with the unique visitors per month number, looks great! I think all of us will be happy with the amount of backers/pre-orders that will come from this campaign.

There are many USB monitors and the type of display processor they have inside for handling usb video signal doesn't allow for USB to hdmi or dp or anything else. They use an internal display-link controller that uses the pc's cpu to drive the display and cannot use a gpu. There is only one portable display with HDMI input (with power supplied over usb) that I'm aware of from GeChic.

https://www.amazon.com/GeChic-2501C-Portable-Monitor-Inputs/dp/B00H4MWMWQ

It's more expensive, but they have a newer model with 1080p and you can up even more to a touch screen. I'm looking hard into these as a travel monitor on the ship I work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M7RMBV9?psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Some of you guys are keeping asking us in posts, via pm and emails about our predictions for our indiegogo campaign. Will it be quick and successful or will we have to wait full month for the end of the campaign?

We do not know the answer for above question but we can give you some rough numbers which may say a little bit more:

~7 000 - activated newsletter subscribers (who confirmed their activation email)

We should be able to hit this 100 orders for minimum production limit, but we can't say if we will hit upper limit of 1000 units in a day, week, month or at all. We have less than 48h to go (to the start of the indiegogo campaign), and then we will get some knowledge in this matter.
Now I'm scared that i will not be in first 1000 of buyers

Now I'm scared that i will not be in first 1000 of buyers

And we are not sure if you should be (scared ofc :)). Remember that "subscriber" is still not a "buyer". This is why our most common answer to the questions about our predictions is "we don't know".

What is more, the 1st batch will be limited to 1000 pcs, and it will include SENTRY in white, black, white+black, 2x white, 2x black. It means if you want a specific colour or a double version of our pc-case, then there is even less then 1000 pcs of such option. 1000 is the number of all options, so really guys, we advice to not wait till the end of the campaign, because you may be disappointed after pressing F5-key several times.

Last edited:
Reactions: RosaJ
like this
I am very excited for the beginning of the campaign! but the site is recommended cpu by 65w and 150w for your video card, m quondi a hypothetical i7-7700k or amd zen 8core and a 1080ti gtx will not go well? too much heat?

That's just general recommendation. If you know what you're doing with 95W CPU and 180W GPU then you'll be fine.

My opinion is that your numbers are VERY strong. Linus's video alone has north of 1.000.000 views, which is a lot of exposure.

So, being fair and square I think you should hit the 1000 limit without too many problems. I'm not completely sold on getting one for myself yet. I love the industrial design, its shape and its vertical stand but I'm not completely sold on the usability nor have a system to put in.

If your 1000 pcs limit gets filled up quickly I'll have less things to debate internally :p

In any case, I wish you the best of lucks tomorrow. All things considered, you have worked hard and you deserve to be successfull.

I just saw you only accept credit card payments? Is there no way I can pay using PayPal?
Me being a 16 year old student I have no credit card ,so really the only way to pay for me is PayPal. Kinda bummed right now because I really wanted to get a sentry :(

I just saw you only accept credit card payments? Is there no way I can pay using PayPal?
Me being a 16 year old student I have no credit card ,so really the only way to pay for me is PayPal. Kinda bummed right now because I really wanted to get a sentry :(

1) Paypal doesn't protect the backers in campaigns anymore
2) Paypal requires companies to deliver product within 30 days of purchase and it is not clear if that applies to crowdfunding or not
3) Paypal decides on their own without consulting the company if they should lock the funds for customer safety and doesn't look like they'll change their ways.

Those three things made us drop the idea of supporting Paypal payments, especially the last one, because whole project would be at risk if they randomly lucked our funds and further payment processing.

In many countries you can also use a debt/standard paying card or a virtual credit card. I have both of them, and for example in that way i'm paying for plane tickets or i sometimes buy some games on steam. In your situation i think only your parents or someone older can help you. Paypal would kill the whole project and i'm sure noone wants it. Maybe in the future, if we will be able to sell Sentrys from the stock, then we will allow Paypal as a payment method. Right now in terms of crowdfunding it is to risky both for clients and manufacturers.

Wow, I was literally looking at this case last night, thinking about it for a HTPC in the living room. No idea that this thread was here haha. Even more motivation to go with the Sentry :)

Yes I'd greatly appreciate it if the link was posted here, my @live.com email had trouble getting updates from the news subscription.

I'm still so conflicted! White or black or both!!!?!?

What is more, the 1st batch will be limited to 1000 pcs, and it will include SENTRY in white, black, white+black, 2x white, 2x black. It means if you want a specific colour or a double version of our pc-case, then there is even less then 1000 pcs of such option. 1000 is the number of all options....

Wait, so would it be possible to get a case that is black but with white side panels or vice versa? I would love that!

Wait, so would it be possible to get a case that is black but with white side panels or vice versa? I would love that!

I think the double version he's referring to is one of each. If you get one of each you can mix and match the parts however you'd like ;)

No, just like SniperCzar said - Zombi was talking about double pack where you get two Sentry units to reduce your shipping costs if you want to buy two or want to get them together with a friend for example. one white unit and one black unit.

1) Paypal doesn't protect the backers in campaigns anymore
2) Paypal requires companies to deliver product within 30 days of purchase and it is not clear if that applies to crowdfunding or not
3) Paypal decides on their own without consulting the company if they should lock the funds for customer safety and doesn't look like they'll change their ways.

Those three things made us drop the idea of supporting Paypal payments, especially the last one, because whole project would be at risk if they randomly lucked our funds and further payment processing.

Speaking about paypal:

Many years ago we organized a group-buy on deskthority (a forum for keyboard enthusiasts) back when mechanical keyboards were something very unusual. Heck, I don't think that the crowdfunding platforms that exist today were working back then (which is why we used the system we used). So, what we did is that we entrusted our money to very specific individuals who would organize the whole thing and deliver the products (and take a small cut for themselves). At that time paypal was the most convenient system in place (by far), and thus we all paid well in advance and patiently awaited for the products to arrive.

And what happened?

Paypal is a big disgrace of a company. A huge one. Every single person involved in the group buy knew that because the order was going to be placed directly to the manufacturers we would have to wait at least 3 months from payment to final delivery. But that was ok, and well specified in the forum. It was a product that hadn't been done before, so If we wanted it was going to be made to our specs.

So, after collecting everybodies money (we are talking about more than $10.000, there were several hundreds of keyboards ordered), Paypal decided that what the organiser was doing was ilegal and blocked his account with all our money in it. They are so fucked up we had to wait 6 fucking months to get our funds released, and the organizer lost his paypal account along any of his own money he had in there.

Suffice to say that the group buy was a failure, and from that moment onwards I suggest you use paypal the lesser the better, though I recognise that for international payments between users (non commercial entities) it is the cheapest one, but know that paypal will fuck your ass in a brutal way whenever they can.

TLDR: avoid paypal like the plague. They are scum and will take your money any time they can.

Thanks! That is good to hear. I just freaked out because the timer in the site showed 0:00:00:00. I thought it was live already. Must have been a bug or something.

That's weird. I thought that with earlier feedback about the timer we have configured it properly. Are you sure you have proper time zone matching your clock and date on the pc?

Anyway at this moment I won't be fiddling with it anymore. We're launching at 18.00 CET (GMT+1)

That's weird. I thought that with earlier feedback about the timer we have configured it properly. Are you sure you have proper time zone matching your clock and date on the pc?

Anyway at this moment I won't be fiddling with it anymore. We're launching at 18.00 CET (GMT+1)

Maybe it just didn't load correctly. I really don't know. Cheers! Will be waiting to click the buy button.

We will be shipping to Philippines. Campaign will start in 12 hours.

Any chance you can report the amount of units sold? I'm honestly curious about how the sale goes.

hello soon part of the campaign! you can pay with a prepaid mastercard card?

Prepaid credit cards (virtual cards), if they are secured with CVV code (usualy 3 digits on the back of the card or send via SMS), then there should be no problem with it.

When can I receive this item? from Korea

It depends how fast will campaign end, how many people will order SENTRY and how fast will you order (your place in the line). Sentry is made-to-your-order, and when the campaign will end, we will start the production, which can last 8-12 weeks for the full 1000 pcs batch. We do not really know how long the shippment to Korea will take, simply because we never send anything there. It is our first crowdfunding campaign so it is also a lesson for us. Packages will have mobile tracking, so you will know where is your SENTRY.

Back