Sensor off center?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on the difference of mice that have the sensor centered vs. those that do not.

I'm all about precision and speed. Does this make a big difference to you in gaming? What about in Photoshop? I do a lot of both. It would seem that the G9x is perfect for me, but I see that it has an off center sensor.

Thanks!

All I can say is that it takes some getting used to. I have used way to many mice in the past months and I go back to the G500 which has a sensor that is much farther forward than most mice. The G9's offset sensor didn't take as much getting used to as the forward position of the G500's. Once you get used to the sensor position then it shouldn't be that bad. Some say that they can never get used to it though. If the G9x's grip fits you better than anything else, I would concentrate on that. If you have any opportunity to borrow a G9/G9x then I would recommend try before you buy just to make sure it doesn't drive you mad.

I couldn't tell a difference when moving from an MX510 to a G5, but the sensor only moved by about a centimeter.

Well, I guess the good thing is that with the G9x, the sensor is still in the center (vertically) but off slightly to the left (horizontally). At least it's not like the G500, where it's going to be way off.

How's the thing in Photoshop when trying to do curves? I don't have to alter natural movement in order to compensate for it?

The G500 is the only mouse I have ever used where I really noticed it. I mean, it's really far forward toward the front, and I tend to have a style of mouse movement where I pivot at the wrist and move it around a semicircle, so that increased radial distance out to the sensor makes a big difference. The G9, on the other hand, doesn't make as big of a difference. It's slightly off to the left side of the mouse, but that's almost irrelevant to the type of movement I tend to use.

I used the Razer Mamba which is offset to the right. I could not get used to it...it was supremely annoying and messed up sniping in plenty of games. Twitch response was off also because of it.

I just fixed my razer copperhead and am back in heaven:). Copperhead is imo the best mouse I've ever used.

I also don't like the feel of the Mamba which has a sloping design that gets wider towards the desk....Rather than a rather vertical sides or sides that come back in as it reaches the desk. I love how the copperhead comes back in as the sides come to the desk. In short it simply isn't the mouse for me.

On the plus side....I'm selling the Mamba for $50 off retail price..whichs puts it at $80. PM me if you want to arrange to buy it. There's nothing wrong with the mouse itself...bought it about a month ago...gave myself one month to get beyond the "I'm just not used to it stage".

Last edited:
On the plus side....I'm selling the Mamba for $50 off retail price..whichs puts it at $80. PM me if you want to arrange to buy it. There's nothing wrong with the mouse itself...bought it about a month ago...gave myself one month to get beyond the "I'm just not used to it stage".

Sorry, there's a reason why I'm purposely avoiding all Razer mice this time around. They do NOT have any mice that use the Avago 9500 sensor, which is the one that is used in the Steelseries Xai and Logitech's G9x and G500. If it doesn't use this sensor, it's trash. The Mamba uses the Phillips Twin Eye or something like that, and it sucks pretty badly with low sensitivity and fast movement. That's probably the issue you had, compounded with the sensor placement.

Ah...Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that the sensor mattered that much but you are right...I think I noticed issues.

Much appreciated.

Where have you read up on the sensor issues? I'd be interested because I want to make a good decision next time I'm looking.

Ah...Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that the sensor mattered that much but you are right...I think I noticed issues.

Much appreciated.

Where have you read up on the sensor issues? I'd be interested because I want to make a good decision next time I'm looking.

Mostly on ES Reality. Those guys go hardcore into depth with the sensors and stuff, ever since the infamous Mousescore 2007 was released on their site. :D

http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&forum=13

Back