coconutboy

Gawd
edit: Deal is back via amazon. NOTE that price drops at checkout:

hd600 $239
hd650 $299
both with free shipping

old post:
via slickdeals

Both prices are excellent, but be warned that you'll absolutely want an amp for either of these headphones. Nothing expensive needed, lots of $20-60 amps will do wonderfully. (Fiio makes a lot of great stuff). If you won't amp them, stick with the more budget friendly Sennheiser hd598 etc because those lower-impedance cans fare much better unamped.

I own the hd600s (along with the 595, and several other pairs of quality headphones). If you've ever wondered about the next step up in fidelity from closed cans like Audio Technica ath-m50, or Beyerdynamic dt990, the hd600 are excellent and probably the audiophile stopping point for 95% of people. They're also incredible for gaming (no mic tho), but obviously overkill. I'd generally advise against people buying them for on-the-go because they're not a snug fit unless your head is omghugely massive, and the transducer can pop out rather easily when dropped, even from a low height.

Both are extremely comfortable and can be worn for several hours with no fatigue.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow, these prices are crazy good. If I had extra money around to be able to buy a set, I would right now. These are dumb cheap for cans this good.

The 600 has been less at Adorama (and possibly the 650?), so I'd wait unless you're desperate.

I'll also be the guy who goes against the grain and suggest that these are worth buying even if you don't have an amp to immediately drive them with. I am seriously sick of hearing people talking as if your head is going to implode from how bad an unamped 600 or 650 will supposedly sound. For the record, I have found that the 650 sounds decent even when driven by a tablet or smartphone.

Soundblaster z's amp sufficient for these?

I would like to know this as well. I only have the x-fi Elite Pro (without the external box) and my Harman Kardon AVR 247 so I was about to get the Sound Blaster Z for the improve surround options and the headphone amp.

I'll also be the guy who goes against the grain and suggest that these are worth buying even if you don't have an amp to immediately drive them with. I am seriously sick of hearing people talking as if your head is going to implode from how bad an unamped 600 or 650 will supposedly sound. For the record, I have found that the 650 sounds decent even when driven by a tablet or smartphone.

Agreed. When I got my 650's they were delivered to my office and I tried them out using only my iPhone. They sounded surprisingly good. Great price on these.

The 600 has been less at Adorama (and possibly the 650?), so I'd wait unless you're desperate.

I agree, my DT 880 pro (250ohm) sound great even on my phone.

Agreed. When I got my 650's they were delivered to my office and I tried them out using only my iPhone. They sounded surprisingly good. Great price on these.

I agree, my DT 880 pro (250ohm) sound great even on my phone.

I didn't say the hd600s wouldn't sound good w/o an amp. What I said is you can get the same sound, or even better, on headphones that run at a lower resistance. Typically, those lower-impedence, more mainstream products cost less.

What have you guys compared your high-impedence cans against? I've had a few blind listening tests with musician friends listening to their own material, and have yet to find a single one who prefers my unamped hd600s over my hd595. That being the case,why spend more money for inferior sound (an unamped hd600 vs hd 595) unless an amp will be added sometime further down the line? imo it's a waste of money unless bling is your thing. YMMV.

Was about to buy...all expired. Hopefully another sale will come along.

I forgot to post the latest link, but even then deal doesn't show till checkout. Give it another crack? Looked active to me.

Back