Sennheiser headphone recommendation

AnNiMosSiTY

Limp Gawd
Im looking into purchasing some new headphones. Ive been using shitty 20 dollar target specials for to long.

I have a xi-fi fatality sound card that is hooked up to my Denon AVR-1801 home theater receiver. All my PC sound is through my home theater system which i absolutely love. I cannot always have it cranked and sometimes i just prefer to use headphones because alot of things sound better on them. I want to get a really nice pair. I have heard nothing but great things about sennheiser's. My number one concern is of course sound quality, but they MUST be very comfortable. Ive had some headphones that feel like they're going to cut my ears off after about 45 minutes. Please help me choose between the following i am going to purchase these tonight or tomorrow. I noticed amazon.com has the HD-580's on sale for 124$ how much better are the HD-595's? in sound and comfort level. I would like to stay under 200$ I am pretty set between these two choices, can anyone give me some recommendations?

the HD 595's would fit your bill perfectly. The HD580's are not supposed to be any better than the 595's really, but the 580's really need an amp where as the 595's are just fine using your sound card, portable device, or reciever.

the HD595 are the best cans i have heard. After they burn in for a while the bass opens right up, they sound really light on bass to start off with :) Flea's tones are soooooo sweet now :)

AnNiMosSiTY said:
I noticed amazon.com has the HD-580's on sale for 124$ how much better are the HD-595's?
Ah, nice to see someone new getting into headphones. That's good.

Just as a heads up, with sennheiser, just because a number is higher doesn't mean it's better.

The senn's are fairly comfortable, although the HD580 type headphones have a lot of clamping force.

Just as a heads up, there are other companies out there besides sennheiser, such as AKG and Beyerdynamic (among others). These are also worth a look, although at sub 200$ that kinda rules out AKG.

Headfi.org is a good source for lots of headphone information.

You're denon shouldn't have any problem driving the headphones. That's the good news. In terms of driving headphones, the Denon receiver will do a lot better than many other things (in terms of volume only).

For the price, consider the Senn HD580, HD595, and also the Beyer DT770pro 80ohm and DT880. All are sub 200$ phones. Personally, I would take the beyers over the senn's, but that's just my personal preference. Your's may be different. The beyers I find more comfortable though. ^_^
Since this is your introduction to high end audio form el'cheapo headphones, basically anything will put a smile on your face. Pick a good one though, and you'll be really happy.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted

the beyers are a little more bass heavy (i heard some 880's) but i wouldnt mind them as oposed to the HD595, i just liked the price on Senns more and they were just as good imo!

listening to some Muse - Starlight on them now, sounds very nice :p

i love my 280 pros but my budget was lower and you might find them tight...

i just put them on the file box overnight for a few nights and it stretched them out nicely so now they're comfortable

hd280prozb3.png

You should be aware that the 595's are open by design. You can easily hear the surrounding environment. I wanted this, so the 595's are perfect for me.

I have 595's and they are very comfortable and sound decent but I would like something even better. I want a big lush sound and very detailed but don't know which headphones would give me that.

I have 595's and they are very comfortable and sound decent but I would like something even better. I want a big lush sound and very detailed but don't know which headphones would give me that.

DT880 (2006 version) or AKG K701 would be the the obvious two.

Back