Sennheiser HDI490's?

Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
48
I was going to buy the HD497's, but I found a pair of these lying around the house. Are these much worse than the 497's? They're extremely comfortable, and wireless is a big plus.
 
I never exactly had a good experience with wireless headphones, but the fact that they ARE Sennheisers could make a difference. They sound damn good that's for sure. I'm happy with my HD570's :)
 
To be exact, I've never even heard of the HDI490's - in fact, the HDI490's don't even exist at all on Sennheiser's Web site. (They might have been an older model that far predates the MP3 era - or they might have been a limited-edition version of the crummy wired HD490's.) But the (wired) HD490's have never been one of Sennheiser's better headphones to begin with. The HD490's deliver boomy, very muddy bass, with unrefined woolly mids and harsh grainy sibilant treble - with a very dark overall balance.
 
Yeah, my dad paid 200 irish pounds for them back in '92, I found the two wires and hooked it up and they absolutely sucked IMO - they couldnt go above ~50dB without sounding like they were about to blow, and you needed to sit perfectly to get in the LOS of the transmitter.
 
Back
Top