Sennheiser HD600 upgrade

Most of those guys didn't try out the headphone, and their comments on the bass didn't take into account the variable bass dial (I read through much of that thread before deciding on the HD 630VB for my laptop). Most of their issues were on the looks and cord, too, and it wasn't until post #181 that someone finally pointed out the obvious: that none of the commenters after the first post could say what they actually sounded like (because they hadn't tried them out). Of course the HD 630VB is a closed back, so it's never going to have an incredible soundstage. Low impedance, so no amp is required. The overall sound is pretty balanced (YMMV with the variable bass dial, of course).

In my earlier post here, I did a few comparisons with the Sony MDR-1A, Hifiman HE-400i, and Beyerdynamic Amiron. I would rate the Amiron as easily the best of the bunch (that's why it's my primary all-around headphone), but the HD 630VB slides in at around the HE-400i category. The Sony MDR-1A is a level behind them (especially with its heavy bass-tuning and not quite adequate mids).

Edit: here are the measurements for the HD 630VB (pretty solidly good): http://goldenears.net/board/GR_Headphones/5998015

Last edited:
I think the OP found cans.. he just needs a good chain. I recommend the Schiit Modi Multibit + Jotunheim if you can afford cans like the Ether C. I use it with my HE-560, the results are glorious.

I replaced the OPPO PM3 with Shure 1540, the sound quality is awesome
The soundcard is Creative Zx, i'm not sure if it's worth to get some headphone AMP
For gaming, Zx is great, but not so great for music

Always wanted to try that set. A good DAC/Amp is huge. My first good soundcard was an Essence STX. The setup I recommended is light-years beyond it. A+ in games too.

I owned the Asus Essence ST then moved to an external USB DAC Audioengine D1. I went from the Shure 840 (closed) to SRH 1840s myself (Still own the 840s though). I find the D1 more than capable of driving them both. For both games and music.
But if you were to buy new, consider the Schiit combo already mentioned IMO.

The point is, I'd like to keep the same sound "quality" for gaming, from Zx, and have a better sound quality for music, without plug and unplug the headphones from AMP to the sound card and vice versa

Define 'quality' for gaming?

Far as I'm concerned good quality is good quality for audio...

A solid dac/amp with a solid pair of headphones (Shure 1540 are awesome btw, good choice there), will give you a great audio experience. Period. Positional Audio comes from a good soundstage. So a good set of headphones along with a nice soundstage will give you your 'gaming quality'. I've been using a DAC/AMP for years now with open back headphones, and I've also used the Creative sound card you own before at my old job (computer store). I highly doubt that experience will be taken from you by going for a solid DAC/AMP combo.. I'm talking about ditching your Zx, not trying to use it alongside something else..

I'd compare my 2chan setup to anything out there. For an immersive precise experience it is top notch! My friend has a surround headset that sounds like ass in comparison.

Define 'quality' for gaming?

Far as I'm concerned good quality is good quality for audio...

A solid dac/amp with a solid pair of headphones (Shure 1540 are awesome btw, good choice there), will give you a great audio experience. Period. Positional Audio comes from a good soundstage. So a good set of headphones along with a nice soundstage will give you your 'gaming quality'. I've been using a DAC/AMP for years now with open back headphones, and I've also used the Creative sound card you own before at my old job (computer store). I highly doubt that experience will be taken from you by going for a solid DAC/AMP combo.. I'm talking about ditching your Zx, not trying to use it alongside something else..
I didn't really understand what you mean here :
" I highly doubt that experience will be taken from you by going for a solid DAC/AMP combo.. I'm talking about ditching your Zx, not trying to use it alongside something else "

Ok, i try to define " quality " for gaming.
IMO, no soundcard sound as good as Creative's ( i tried X-fi Xtreme Gamer, and many more ) for gaming.
Explosions, bullets, cars, aircrafts, tanks, bombs, etc.
The processor Sound Core 3D does a very good job. But that's only for games

Just use the optical SPDIF output of your motherboard, or the ZX. Doesn't matter. Its just transferring 0's and 1's into a quality DAC/Amp setup.

I didn't really understand what you mean here :
" I highly doubt that experience will be taken from you by going for a solid DAC/AMP combo.. I'm talking about ditching your Zx, not trying to use it alongside something else "

Ok, i try to define " quality " for gaming.
IMO, no soundcard sound as good as Creative's ( i tried X-fi Xtreme Gamer, and many more ) for gaming.
Explosions, bullets, cars, aircrafts, tanks, bombs, etc.
The processor Sound Core 3D does a very good job. But that's only for games

At the end of the day the Zx is sound card much the same as an external USB DAC/Amp. It might be 'tuned' perhaps for 'gaming' but it's still a sound device.

What I'm trying to say is, good sound quality is good sound quality. End story.

If you really like your Zx, as you seem to defend it to no end, then stick with it. But what we're suggesting is a quality DAC/AMP external combo will ultimately work better overall for all purposes. Not just 'for music'.

Back