Sennheiser HD485 vs. HD280

HitMan-sC

Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
987
So, I bought my HD485's a little over a year ago, and I really love them! I recently bought an X-Fi, and now they really shine. A friend recently expressed interest in buying them from me, so I figured I might as well sell them and go with something slightly better. I want to keep it around $100, so I was looking at the HD 280 Pros:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328

I listen to a lot of music (a wide variety), and I also do a decent amount of gaming. Do you guys have any other suggestions for this price range? I'm running only an X-Fi, no amp. Thanks!



~ h|tman
 
I dunno that I would call the HD280s an upgrade from the HD485s.
The HD280s do have a more balanced sound and the isolation is much better but they also have less bass and less comfort.
 
The HD485 are open headhones while the HD280 Pro are closed.
That means the sound should differ (open haedphones have a easier time reproducing better sound).
For about 100$ I would look for an open set of headphones unless you need complete sound isolation. I know the HD280 Pros get very good reviews and ratings BUT they are a closed set and open sets at that price will probably sound better.
You can check out Head Fi, where they have all the heaphone junkies with a lot of experience.
From what I've read around I think these Sennheiser HD515 or these Grado SR-80, will suite you better. If you buy from that site ask them to give you the TTJV price (usually a few bucks off), and if you're a first timer you get a 10$ redemption code (can't use both at once).
I would suggest you also look up reviews of any headphone you're considering BEFORE hand, cause some have pitfalls you can't see coming. (ALWAY CHECK OUT CUSTOMER REVIEWS AS WELL FOR COMFORT ISSUES).
I'm considering getting the HD280 Pros because I need Isolation for recording stuff at home.
Good Luck!
edit: Grados SR80 specs
Sennheiser HD515 specs
 
I have the HD485... Great headphones. I also have Sennheiser PC161's, and I must admit the quality of the HD485 is so much better.
 

Recently doing research on cans it seems to go like this:

Grado SR80 or HD555>HD485>HD515

The Grado's seem to take a hit for a lack of comfort, but on the plus side are affordability and great sound. I have yet to hear anything positive about the HD515's. I'd go for the 555's or SR80's myself.

I have the HD485's and they produce my music exactly the way I wanted (industrial/electronic). Reviews seemed to reflect this, and its true. Maybe one day I'll go for the 600 series Senn's.

Also, people seem to be Grado or Senn's people, and not both.
 
Where did you find these headphones for $110? And do you think they worth selling my HD485's and upgrading?

Amazon.com.

I haven't heard HD485s before, but I have heard HD555s, and I can safely say that the AD700s are miles ahead.
 
Back
Top