sennheiser hd280s

rogue_jedi

Supreme [H]ardness
coupla questions about these headphones:
1. does anyone have anything bad to say about the sennheiser hd280s? they look like what i want in headphones (closed, good response, moderate/low impedance) i just wanna make sure there aren't any horror stories.

2. comfort - i'll be wearing these a few hours a day, everyday... they should be comfy. how big are the earcups relative to the hd202's? the 202's seem a bit small for my ears (cup size-wise) so a bit bigger would be nice. experiences with long term wear?

3. where to buy? i found them for $80 on bayview pro audio any opinions on this seller?

4. is a headphone amp necessary for decent volume/bass response? i have an asus with soundstorm if it makes a difference. i am planning to upgrade to an offboard solution (probably envy-24 based) eventually, but it'll work for now.

a search for "hd280 bad" didn't turn up anything in computer audio, so i'm assuming they have few, if any, problems.
thanks.

I have them, and LOVE them. I have them on for hours at a time, and they haven't ever been uncomfortable. They cancel out outside sound great, plus they sound wonderfull. I can't see any reason not to reccommend them.

I have them and my comments are the same as Bugalaman.

1: They take a while to burn in, when I first got them I thought they sounded faintly muffled and muted, but I left them playing moderately-loud music for a few days and they improved significantly, now they sound really good, way better than any other low or mid range phone I've heard.
You won't find any horror stories about these.

2:I don't know how big/small they are relative to the 202s or your ears, but the cups are mid-sized compared to other I've seen/used and very pliable. On more than one occasion I've gotten up from my PC only to be pulled back by the cable because I forgot they were on.

3:Can't comment on Bayview, good price though.

4:Amp wise I've found these phones to be marginal, they certainly don't NEED one, but they do sound a little better plugged into my PortaCorda2. I wouldn't go out and buy an amp just to run them though. My Audigy2 plat (either via the card or the livedrive) drives them just fine.

DISCLAIMER:
All views are subjective, your ears may differ.

I've had a pair for about a year now, they've been great.

Comfortable for long periods for me at any rate.

Hope you enjoy yours :)

Back