• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sennheiser HD280's are taking a dump

Turd Furguson

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 22, 2004
Messages
219
Well it appears that my HD280's are taking a dump on me. Songs with decent bass are starting to sound very distorted on me in my right ear. I do not believe it is my equipment as it does this on either my PC's headphone jack as well as my Onkyo receiver.

Can I live with it? I think so.

Is it annoying? F**k yes !!

I have been inspecting a few other cans in the $200 dollar range. I am going to have to get away from the closed cans as I now have a 2-year old running around and I need to be able to hear her holler at me when she is hurt or wanting something.

So what should I be looking at. My head is a little large as my HD280's cracked the plastic on top where they bent slightly past normal ranges. Yeha i have a big head. I purchased my HD280's off amazon for $60 about 8 years ago, so they have been through their paces.

I have already been over to head-fi.org and done some snooping. This is for enthusiasts for whom will throw their entire tax rebates onto a pair of cans or amp. As for myself, I don't want to break the bank.

These cans will be mostly used for music. My tastes vary from Rock, Metal, Country, R&B, to Classical. I am just looking for the best of most worlds. I don't want ear piercing highs or too much bass. Just something down the middle of the road.
 
Just out of curiosity, how long have you had the 280s?

I purchased my HD280's off amazon for $60 about 8 years ago, so they have been through their paces.

:p

To the OP: I think the best open design all around headphone out right now (in that price range) is still the Sennheiser HD-595's.

And the price just dropped on them recently due to the release of the HD-598's.

Also out now for about $30 more are the HD-558's that people have given some very positive impressions of.
Posted via Mobile Device
 
i just replaced the ear pads on my HD280's since the original ones had torn (purchased in 2007). i'll use these things until they break, i love their neutral sound and closed-back design. the HD-595's are currently on sale for $130 on Amazon. i've never used them myself but they seem to get good user reviews. happy hunting :)
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a shameless plug here, but I've got a set of Shure SRH840's for sale in the FS forum for 100.00 shipped.
 
I've enjoyed my dt880s, they sound good and are semi open. I haven't heard the dt990s but they're more open and I imagine they pretty good.
 
The 880's and 990's are both good options as well. My 990's are my favorite headphones.
 
I've had similar issues with my AKG headphones. In those cases it was due to some wierd reaction between the PVC cable sheath and the copper wiring inside of it, basically the wire strands reacted with the cable and slowly along a few feet of the cable turned into verdigris. Bass frequencies were the first to take a dump, soldering in a new cable was the fix, not too hard to do.
 
Back
Top