• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sennheiser HD280pro vs. HD555

runbird05

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
207
Alright, I've got $65 in BestBuy cards from Christmas, and after browsing all of their overpriced merchandise I've decided that their 10% off of online headphones combined with my lack of a decent pair of cans (currently using $20 pair of Koss) is a good route to go. So, I've been leaning towards the HD280pro at $100 shipped, which means I get 'em for only $35 out of pocket. What I was wondering was whether or not the HD555, which would be $145 shipped and $80 out of pocket, would be worth the extra money. I know this is a difficult comparison because the 555s are open, but I'm not too familiar with open headphones vs. closed. Is the sound quality tremendously better, or is it more of just personal preference? Right now I'm pretty set on the 280s because it's hardly any cost beyond the gift cards, whereas the 555's are a little bit of an investment.

I'll be using these for listening to music, gaming, and watching movies all on my computer off of an Audigy2 zs, and occasional use with an ipod (prefer lighter weight buds most of the time for this application).

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.
 
open - lets sound in and out of the headphoen so you can hear the noisy back ground if youre in a noisy place

closed - seals the sound in and keeps outside noise form coming in,

i have both the 280 pro and 555. i just got them after ordering them used...the 280 pros have GREAT isolation but it lacks bass and lets just say it doesnt matches the sound of the HD555s... i would get the HD555 if youre listening to them at home or in a place where theres not much noises. but if you want cheaper headphones with great isolation get the hd280 pros.
 
The 555's will probably sound a bit better but the 280Pro's will isolate you from your surroundings more. Unless you use your computer in a noisy environment I'd recommend the 555's.

My 280Pro's don't seem to keep as much sound IN as my old Sony V6's did. I don't use them at my office as much as I used to because of this.
 
Someone on the sales/buying forum selling a pair of HD497's for $30. Not sure how good they are, but if interested, may be worth a look. Seller goes by the name unrealized, or just search for hd497. Take it as you will....(Hugs my 595's)
 
Hd555s sound better, but the hd280s by no means sound bad. Its not a tremendous difference.

Remember, the only way you know if one is better, is hearing both of them. As long as you never ever hear the HD555s, you will not know what your missing ;).
 
kamxam said:
Someone on the sales/buying forum selling a pair of HD497's for $30. Not sure how good they are, but if interested, may be worth a look. Seller goes by the name unrealized, or just search for hd497. Take it as you will....(Hugs my 595's)
Already nabbed them, he's a friend of mine locally and I needed another pair to replace my 457s for LANs. Call me crazy, but taking 595s to a LAN just gives me the chills. Soda. Rowdy young men. :eek:
 
I definately prefer the HD-555 to the HD-280. It's worth the extra!

Pros of each:
HD-555
More comfortable
Better soundstage
Sound is more engaging

HD-280
Closed
Maybe more neutral sounding?
Umm...

Go with the 555 :)
 
ati_azn said:
the 280 pros have GREAT isolation but it lacks bass and lets just say it doesnt matches the sound of the HD555s...
Which is why I got the HD212 Pro instead. I needed closed cans, and bass was a nice thing to have. The 555s are damned sexy though.
 
Back
Top