Sennheiser HD280pro or HD555

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
I recently decided to enchance my audio experience, mainly focused to listening to music. Even though I have been playing the guitar since i was 8 (that would be for 18 years now) I never, ever, ever owned a good pair of speakers or even headphones.

Now, since I can't spend more than 150euros on them (I m a european), I narrowed my choices down to these two headphones, the hd280pro and hd555 (I figured reading other topics as well that since good speakers are out of my reach, I ll go with headphones for now).

From the reviews I read on the internet, the hd280pro seem to be better for listening to music, while the 555 ones better for movies. So... I would like to ask some of your oppinions, in order to make the correct purchase.

Again, I mainly care about the best music listening I can buy, since I never watch movies alone anyway, so no use buying headphones for them.

Well the first thing you need to ask yourself is sealed or open? The 280s have a closed back, the 555s do not. Closed phones give isolation from background noise, but generally don't sound as good for the money as open phones do. So first decide which kind you are interested in, then you can narrow down models.

I've never been such a big fan of Sennheiser's sealed phones. So if you decide that's how you want to go, I'd say go for Audio Technica ATH-500 or 700s instead. If you want open phones then the 555s are probably a good choice.

If you can afford to spend a little more I'd look into the HD595's - trust me you won't regret it - I own a pair of these now - and they are beautiful - can't wait till I get my Auzentech Prelude tomorrow to fully test them out. The HD595's are the perfect combination for gaming, music, and movies imho - they add a lot of "color" in the sound. Whereas, the HD280's have a lot more base and are made more for gaming (but not much more than the HD595's). If you can't afford to get the the HD595's then I'd suggest getting the HD555's for music.

Back