Sennheiser HD 650

TRex

Limp Gawd
So who here has a pair of these bad boys. How are they? Do you need an amp to power them just like the Sennheiser HD 580's needed.

I don't own one yet. But from what I've read the Sennheiser HD 650 is overkill for gaming and computer MP3 music listening - it really needs an outstanding stand-alone full-size component audio source in order to sound its best. And even then, a good dedicated headphone amp is strongly recommended for that 'phone, since most headphone jacks on components are of crap quality.

Since even the average headphone are of really high quality these days it´s definiatly overkill for gaming. Since gaming audio because of performance issues and it´s busy environment never match the audio created in professional music studios.

That said if you send me the HD 650 I wouldn´t refuse. I am sure they don´t suck for gaming either :D

Originally posted by oqvist
Since even the average headphone are of really high quality these days it´s definiatly overkill for gaming. Since gaming audio because of performance issues and it´s busy environment never match the audio created in professional music studios.

I disagree that the average headphone is of really high quality. (And I'm talking about the "mean" average headphone that the masses buy, not the "median" average headphone that's in mid-point between the stock headphones and high-end headphones. The "mean" average price that most people actually spend on headphones is still less than $20 a pair, even with the sales of high-end headphones factored in.) You see, the overwhelming majority of headphones that most people buy are still the really cheap crap that's no better than the headphones that are bundled for free with portable MP3 players.

Originally posted by E4g1e
I disagree that the average headphone is of really high quality. (And I'm talking about the "mean" average headphone that the masses buy, not the "median" average headphone that's in mid-point between the stock headphones and high-end headphones. The "mean" average price that most people actually spend on headphones is still less than $20 a pair, even with the sales of high-end headphones factored in.) You see, the overwhelming majority of headphones that most people buy are still the really cheap crap that's no better than the headphones that are bundled for free with portable MP3 players.

Agree with you there. I see about 10-20 people everyday that wear Sony Street-style headphones and the Ipod earbuds. I don't think these can be considered anywhere near high quality.

Originally posted by strid3r
Agree with you there. I see about 10-20 people everyday that wear Sony Street-style headphones and the Ipod earbuds. I don't think these can be considered anywhere near high quality.

I am talking about these 20-30$ studio headphones or what they are called. Those who cover your hole ear. I guess those are the cheapest to build and yet have high quality with because of the bigger size.

So I am not talking low end but budget. And if you compare to speakers in the same price range those headphones are 100 times better.

Then that high end headphones are a totally different story. Thats´s the case with 400$ and 1500$ speakers too.

The HD650's are complete overkill for PC gaming. Don't even bother with them if you don't have an amp and a decent source. Any of the cans in this line need amps... HD580's, 600's & 650's. You may think it sounds good without an amp, but once properly drive them with an amp you'll understand.

If you have an audio store near where you life go check them out. I have the HD600's and honestly I like my Grado SR60's better for gaming because they're more comfortable.

Using an M-Audio Revo was my first upgrade and I thought the 600's sounded great... then I finished my CMOY and holy smokes they sound good. Very smooth yet detailed sound. It's candy for your ears :)

It should also be pointed out that not only is the sound quality inferior when you try driving high impedance headphones without the proper amp, but the drivers on the headphone will also collapse in about a year or two. It happened on my HD590s after only two years, and that's with a relatively low impedance (compared to the 580/600/650s anyway) of 120 ohms. The 650s are ridiculously inefficient, with a peak impedance of ~570 ohms. There are computer speakers that are more efficient than that.

If you get headphones with an impedance over around 80 ohms and you want to last them a decent amount of time, get an amp. Trust me.

Originally posted by finalgt
The 650s are ridiculously inefficient, with a peak impedance of ~570 ohms. There are computer speakers that are more efficient than that.

I dunno what you're talking about, but the 650s have an impedence of 300 ohms. They are not ridiculously hard to drive either. I stress what you said...ridiculously.

http://www.head-fi.org/ is a good place to look for answers on stuff like this.
Their opening line to new members is usually: "Oh, and we're sorry about your wallet." :D

You'll see why if you hang around long enough...

I am talking about these 20-30$ studio headphones or what they are called. Those who cover your hole ear. I guess those are the cheapest to build and yet have high quality with because of the bigger size.

I disagree with that, as well. Most $20 to $30 closed studio headphones are completely unlistenable to my ears, as well (you might have far lower standards in minimum acceptable sound quality than I do; in my honest opinion, I would have to spend at least $40 for open-air headphones or $80 for closed studio headphones for the sound to even be acceptable to my ears). And closed headphones usually sound worse than open-air headphones that are priced equally the same. I've listened to every one of the $20-$30 closed studio headphones (the lower-end models of the Sony MDR-V### line are all too typical of the horrible-sounding overpriced studio headphones), and honestly most of those sound worse than some of the stock freebie Walkman headphones! Most of them sound muffled, harsh and extremely muddy!

Their advertised impedance is 300 ohms, correct.

http://www.headphone.com/graph.php?graphID=85

That's a chart from headroom showing the impedance of the HD600s; let's face it, they're basically identical to the HD650s. True, I was a bit off base saying the impedance was 570, but in any kind of bassy music, you'd be pulling an average impedance of at least 400 ohms.

Originally posted by E4g1e
I disagree with that, as well. Most $20 to $30 closed studio headphones are completely unlistenable to my ears, as well (you might have far lower standards in minimum acceptable sound quality than I do; in my honest opinion, I would have to spend at least $40 for open-air headphones or $80 for closed studio headphones for the sound to even be acceptable to my ears). And closed headphones usually sound worse than open-air headphones that are priced equally the same. I've listened to every one of the $20-$30 closed studio headphones (the lower-end models of the Sony MDR-V### line are all too typical of the horrible-sounding overpriced studio headphones), and honestly most of those sound worse than some of the stock freebie Walkman headphones! Most of them sound muffled, harsh and extremely muddy!

Well mine aren´t closed. And of course 80$ headphones is better than 20$ headphones. It would be criminal otherwise. For gaming it´s ridiculous having 80$ headphones since 20$ headphones do match and surpass most computer speakers.

Well mine aren´t closed. And of course 80$ headphones is better than 20$ headphones. It would be criminal otherwise. For gaming it´s ridiculous having 80$ headphones since 20$ headphones do match and surpass most computer speakers.

There are a whole lot of over-priced cans out there (most Sony's IMO) oqvist. It's not criminal, it's brand loyalty ;)

I have some *cheap* (in both senses of the term) Sony "street style" headphones and I was amazed how good they sound with a good source and an amp, but for serious listening why would you want to? I hook them up to test amps so I don't blow my HD600's :D

...you could also buy 80 dollar Altec Lansing speakers that sound hella good.

Why then do most people opt for Klipsch/Logitech/Cambridge?

HMMMMMM. I dunno.... :rolleyes: :eek:

Originally posted by superjohnny
There are a whole lot of over-priced cans out there (most Sony's IMO) oqvist. It's not criminal, it's brand loyalty ;)

I have some *cheap* (in both senses of the term) Sony "street style" headphones and I was amazed how good they sound with a good source and an amp, but for serious listening why would you want to? I hook them up to test amps so I don't blow my HD600's :D

Me I blew all my money on my 400$ speakers. And since I just about never listen to music I can´t justify myself spending a lot of money on headphones. Am using some Plantronics A90 now and they do the job quite fine.

But I remember when my parents bought their first stereo for 10-12 years ago perhaps they bought some headphones that was really high end by that time. Remember how impressed we were on how they sounded. And then I just bought some headphones the other year and they matched those very well indeed.

I listen to the HD650's through an MG Head DT/OTL mk II amp (with NOS tubes) on an RME DIGI96/8 PAD. They sound unbelievable, but an amp is definitely a must. They are very revealing of a poor source (just for kicks I tried using them with my Audigy 2 - ack).

But if you want to shell out the money for good equipment, then they are quite worth it.

Back