Sennheiser HD 485?

Coreyk78

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 10, 2008
Messages
240
So I picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD485 because I had read some positive reviews and I got them new for $70 shipped. I like them, mostly, but the bass seems a little lacking. I've only had them 3 days so maybe they haven't really broken in yet, time will tell I guess.

They are only 32 ohm cans so I figured that my soundcard would drive them well enough, but now I'm not sure. I first tried running them off the front panel headphone jack but I was picking up A LOT of noise from the computer, so I have them split directly off the soundcard for now. I'm wondering if I could get better performance out of these with a dedicated headamp like a Zero, hoping maybe for a little more bass and just more "punch" overall. They work fine for rock which is what I mostly listen to, but techno, dance, rap stuff isn't quite the way I'd like it.

I did find and buy a cheap RCA SA-155 mini amp that has a headphone jack for 10 bucks shipped, from the small amount of stuff I was able to find online about this amp it does amplify the headphones, so maybe that will tide me over until I can afford a Zero, or maybe I threw away $10. I'll find out tomorrow when it gets here I guess, it was cheap enough to try.

Anyone listened to the Senn HD485 or better yet used them with a headphone amp? how would you compare it to other cans in that price range? Did I do ok buying these for $70 or could I have done better? At any rate they are an improvement from the Insignia bluetooth headphones they replaced, luckily those broke so I was able to get my money back. I guess I'm just a little underwhelmed so far.
 
Well that crappy little RCA amp actually livened up these headphones quite a bit! Much fuller sound now, can't wait to hear what they'll sound like with a good amp. :)
 
Cool. :D

It's a bit surprising at the low impedance, but sometimes it just takes more ability to push current than you'll get on sound cards and smaller devices.
 
Back
Top