SENNHEISER HD 280PRO Best?

nej_k

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 11, 2008
Messages
292
I want the best possible headphones for music. Price should be around +-$100.

So far I'm mainly focused on buying these headphones(SENNHEISER HD 280PRO), is their anything better?
 
I can't say if there are any better for <$100, as the 280Pros are the only cans I own. They do sound great though!

My only complaint is that they feel a little snug and hurt my head from the pressure when used for a couple of hours.
 
Buyer beware, they are very nice headphones but they clamp like vice grips even after a year of use. They also make your ears hot and sweaty.
 
I think the HD555s are around $100 as well. The 280s should be flatter (for audio production), whereas the HD555s are for comfort and good sound, and probably color audio somewhat.
 
I tried both the ATH-A700 and AD700. They sound great, but I found them too loose-fitting for my liking. Maybe my head isn't big enough. :p
 
AD700 and HD555's are open headphones, whereas the HD280 Pro's are closed. So do you need a closed headphone? (closed headphones isolate you from noise and open headphones let sound in and out)
 
$130 ish
ATH-A700 Closed
ATH-AD700 Open

Sen 555 $80 - 100
My friend bought a pair on newegg for 80 last week.

Less then $60
JVC Harx-900 with some modding

I 3rd the A700 =D good all around. =D
 
The HD 280 Pros are best if your priority is isolation but you don't want canalphones. They're detailed but they lack oomph when it comes to Bass.
 
You could also check out the Grado SR60 or SR80. One of the best bang for the buck headphones under $100. But it has a certain sound signature that may turn some people off.
 
Nobody has asked the OP what music he listens to.

What types of music?
 
Nobody has asked the OP what music he listens to.

What types of music?

Exactly. I use the 280 pro's for Industrial/electronic and they're friggin perfect for it. Cold and detailed with a nice fat ass low end to support the constant bass.

I would say no if the OP listens to metal or rock. I'm not overly excited about the lack of mid bass/flat response. Colored sound like someone mentioned already would be best unless the OP doing music production (of course).
 
I love my Sennheisers.

But anything from "beyerdynamic" is nice too.

If you have a Guitar Center in your area, you may be able to haggle the salesmen down to around the cost of the 280's.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I went ahead and bought the ATH-A700 and they are absolutely horrible. Their is no base and the quality sucks. My $50 JVC headphones give off better sound than these and its less than half the price. I'm returning these asap and will probably get a different set of headphones. But thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll probbly try the Sennheiser HD 280Pro next and see how those go.:D
 
You know the A700 require alot of burn-in? Also, yeah, if you were looking for bass, the A700 are not the way to go.

When I first tried them, I thought they were horrible too. But they aren't. They just have a certain sound signature that some people like and others do not. They are still really good headphones.
 
You know the A700 require alot of burn-in? Also, yeah, if you were looking for bass, the A700 are not the way to go.

When I first tried them, I thought they were horrible too. But they aren't. They just have a certain sound signature that some people like and others do not. They are still really good headphones.

True true. The OP will probably think the same of the Senn. 280, b/c it definitely has a particular sound.
 
Well I went ahead and bought the ATH-A700 and they are absolutely horrible. Their is no base and the quality sucks. My $50 JVC headphones give off better sound than these and its less than half the price. I'm returning these asap and will probably get a different set of headphones. But thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll probbly try the Sennheiser HD 280Pro next and see how those go.:D

ATH-A700 has tons o quality. Bass is there, just not in huge amounts, its a very balanced headphone. Get the DT770 if bass is your main concern.

Also, burn in the headphone by running it 24/7 for a few days.
 
I like the sen hd555 my friend got some and i cant keep them off but i bought the everglide s-500 gaming headphone and there huge but for 20 bucks on woot i couldn't passem up
 
Back
Top