• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sennheiser 595 or Grado SR80

Rossi~

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
3,479
I'm looking at a good entry set of headphones for music only. My budget is £125 and i've narrowed it down to the Sennheiser 595 or Grado SR80.
I currently use Sennheiser HD25-1 II and love them, but i'm going to switch them to my portable set and hope i don't get mugged, and get to an open set for music at home hooked up to my Onkyo TX SR307 receiver.
I am edging towards the 595's because i own the HD25-1 II, HD25SP-II and 238 Precision and they're all good. Don't get me wrong though, i have used and heard non-Sennheisers, just i always turn to them for price/quality.
I have however heard very good things about the SR80 and they are slightly cheaper.

I listen to post rock, ambient, prog rock, electro, trip hop and some classical. So that said i will need a good balance across all frequencies, nothing that is bass heavy or has screeching highs.

I am open to other suggestions as well if you have them.
 
I'd look into the HD580 (used) or HD600.

HD595s and SR80s are very different IMO. The former is circum-aural and the latter is supra-aural. The HD595 are a step above the SR80 IMO.
 
Thanks 450 :) i will have a look around for used HD580 & 600 headphones and reviews for them.
Also like the use of IMO, not enough people use it.
 
Thanks 450 :) i will have a look around for used HD580 & 600 headphones and reviews for them.
Also like the use of IMO, not enough people use it.

In the real world outside of forums, I rarely say 'In my opinion' or 'I think', but in a forum setting it usually helps separate fact from opinion.

Do you have an hifi shops near you that sell headphones?
 
Yes indeed, i just hate it when people write as they think it's fact when it's really opinion lol.
I'm in London all next week so can travel around to a few, i will probably pop in and have a listen to a few and see if they have any used as finding HD580 and HD600 used on the interwebs is proving to be difficult and new the HD600 is way over budget.
 
Even used I'm not sure if the HD600 is under £125.

Some other headphones you should consider are the AKG k601, k701 ,and k702.

EDIT: Keep in mind that all of the headphones I'm talking about require good amplification. I'm not sure how well the Onkyo will perform but for now it should be alright until you upgrade to a dedicated headphone amp.
 
No thinking about it you're right, the HD600 is out, unless i find someone stupid enough.
I had a pair of AKGs for portable use, damn solid and good quality sound but the cable went, but i got many hours out of them, will look those up thanks.
The Onkyo seems to power well, but i was thinking about a DAC/Amp combo down the line, while you seem well in the know is there any chance you could suggest a DAC/Amp that would be suitable with headphones and also with my receiver? The Onkyo DAC seem very good, though i only use 2.1 and i could easily get a better DA conversion.
 
What's your budget for the amp/DAC combo? I'd focus on getting some quality headphones before bothering with a dedicated amp/DAC setup. The Onkyo will do alright for now. I'd try to save up some more for the HD580/600/650 series. Because you like the HD25-1, I think those headphones will suit your tastes.
 
Yeah? Ok what i may do is get a set now and save for the 600s, put the others to the side or use them elsewhere and save for a amp/DAC combo which i was thinking £150-£200 ish.
 
Back
Top