Sennheiser 555 vs. 595

j3ff86

[H]ard|Gawd
Which do you guys think I should get for music & movies (on a Cowon S9 and computer)? Are the 595's worth twice the cost of the 555's? And is this the cheapest I can them new?
$90 for the 555's on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235777897&sr=8-1
$170 for the 595's from J&R:
(link doesn't work)

edit* If you know of a better circumaural pair in this price range please recommend :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
hd 580 at dakmart for 150$. same drivers as hd600. blows away the hd555. i havent heard the hd595 but they are supposed to use the same drivers as hd555 and have internal design differences

hd 580 at dakmart for 150$. same drivers as hd600. blows away the hd555. i havent heard the hd595 but they are supposed to use the same drivers as hd555 and have internal design differences
I agree that the HD595s aren't worth the money, not by a long shot imo, but the HD580s are completely different cans sound signature wise. Kind of apples to oranges.

To the OP, what kind of music and amped or not? What kind of sound are you looking for (ie agressive and punchy or more refined, etc)?

I agree that the HD595s aren't worth the money, not by a long shot imo, but the HD580s are completely different cans sound signature wise. Kind of apples to oranges.

To the OP, what kind of music and amped or not? What kind of sound are you looking for (ie agressive and punchy or more refined, etc)?
Not amped. I'll mostly use them for movies on my cowon s9. Kind of music would be 'alternative rock' (whatever that means).

I've been using these cheap Panasonics but I need something more comfortable for extended use. I guess I am looking for aggressive & punchy but I haven't had a chance to hear the difference.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the hd555 arent punchy at all. most open air headphones arent. if large closed cans are ok get a jvc harx700 or 900. akg k81dj is punchy and small, same with equation rp15mc. both are supra-aural tho

Depending on budget, I'd look into the AKG K240S (K271 as well but the 271 kinda needs an amp to shine) or the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro/'05 (DT770 if you love bass). I'd say look into the Alessandro MS-1s or the Grado SR-225s but they're supra-aural so I assume out of the question. Denon D2000 and Sennheiser HD600s are also liked for alt rock. Not my personal preference for this genre, but some people love them for rock.

Back