• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

sennheiser 515

Joined
Feb 22, 2001
Messages
546
I recently got a pair of sennheiser 515 headphones to replace an old pair of sennheiser 95's. They sound great when the volume is very high but lack bass when the volume is low. I have to use my sound cards equalizer to hear any bass at all, any it sounds awful. I'm wondering why it does this? do I need a pre-amp to get the most out of these, or is something else keeping them from producing bass at low volumes? I have them plugged into the pod/volume thing of my logitec 5300 speakers.
 
Try connecting them thru a standalone receiver and see ifthat helps. If so, then you'll need to get a dedicated amp, as the Logitech is underpowering your cans at low volumes.
 
Can you return them? HD485's is a better can for less plus have WAY more bass.
 
Thanks i'll try that, I guess the only reason i haven't is becasue imainly use them on my computer, and my current soundcard, a santa cruz any has enough outputs in the back for 5.1, which i'm using, so every time i'm using them at low volume i would have to go unplug the speakers adn plug the headphones in.

Yea it'a a little late to return them, they sound miles better than my old headphones, and the bass is good at higher volumes. In fact I perfer a more balanced sound or more high end than bass. In fact i'm rather disapointed in the 5300's becasue the bass is so midrange, not punchy and dry.

would my best be to get a new sound card with more outputs? or would a pre-amp be cheaper?
 
The headphone socket on the z5300s is the single worst piece of audio equipment I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. It's just hideous - noisy, distorted and massively underpowered. Plug the cans directly into your soundcard and they'll sound a lot better. If you're still not happy, get a cheap headphone amp like a PA2V2.
 
I second the PA2V2. I myself am going to order one from the guy ^_^ but about the 515s, you should go for the 485s like someone said, with the PA2v2 amp.
 
aZn_plyR said:
Can you return them? HD485's is a better can for less plus have WAY more bass.


I like my HD-485s :-D

But yeah don't plug then into the Logitech control pod, plug them into your sound card and you will be happy. The logitech thing doesn't power up the phones.
 
sco0oby said:
...but about the 515s, you should go for the 485s like someone said, with the PA2v2 amp.

I doubt he'll like the 485s if he likes the punchy and dry kind of bass. I found the 485 bass to be slightly boomy, almost like a Logitech counterpart for headphones.
 
well.. if you leave the bass at stock, it is a little boomy... but the midrange treble.. sounds better than the 515 supposely out of the box. and EQing the HD485 by lowering the bass will turn it into a better can..

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/all-headphones/sennheiser-hd-515.php

"but at near the same price the Sennheiser HD485 sounds better or for the extra $50 it takes to get its big brother, the HD555, you get a much better can."
 
Back
Top