Sennheiser 280 headphones worth $100?

S

SpeedRunner

I haven't never really cared much for speakers... and for years I had some really nice noise canceling headphones, but I broke them.

So I'm looking for a new set of headphones and this one has attracted my attention:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328

It's gotten high reviews but I wanted to see if anyone here has these and would agree that it's worth putting down $100 for them. I play games and music quite alot so I definitely want a good set of headphones that I can wear comfortably for hours.

I don't think I'd say you could wear them "comfortably for hours", at least not compared to open-style headphones. They have a good, crisp detail-oriented sound, but lack in the overall "presentation" department. They do have pretty good noise-canceling properties, though that's largely due to a little bit of a snug fit on the head (which leads partially to the lack of all-day comfort -- moisture buildup is the other part).

They have good bass, the highs need to be tweaked IMO, not bad for games. Probably a good deal for that application if you're wearing them less than four hours at a time and need the noise isolation.

The BT770 is the usual "get this instead" recommendation, I haven't tried those yet. For $100 the 64ohm 280's are good traveling/beater and backup headphones. They're certainly worth the price, though once you past the whole Wal-Mart retail level, $100 doesn't get you that far.

if you're into a lot of rock music i think you should definitely check out some of the headphones made by Grado. They're open-air so I don't know if sound is a big issue for you (means that they leak a bit of sound) but the quality is top-notch.

In my opinion, The DT770s sound much better than the 280 and are well worth spending extra for if you want closed headphones. It's quite a bit more comfortable (at the expense of slightly lower isolation) and have stronger bass. They're also more durable.

I haven't never really cared much for speakers... and for years I had some really nice noise canceling headphones, but I broke them.

So I'm looking for a new set of headphones and this one has attracted my attention:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328

It's gotten high reviews but I wanted to see if anyone here has these and would agree that it's worth putting down $100 for them. I play games and music quite alot so I definitely want a good set of headphones that I can wear comfortably for hours.
Whether or not they're worth it depends on the power source you'll be running them off of most of the time and it's abilities. I tried the HD280's when I was shopping for some cans for use mainly on my Zune80 and was very unimpressed, but this is more a result of a less than impressive headphone power stage in the Zune itself. So these cans wouldn't be a good candidate for use w/portable music player. But if you're gonna be running them off your computer then I think you might like them. They are studio monitors so they have a very flat frequency response which results in a more accurate reproduction of the music you're listening to. The mids and highs are very clear and crisp but the bass left me wanting more. However, you might find that you don't have this issue being that you're gonna be running them off your computer.

I ended up getting the HD212Pro's, they have the perfect balance of mids/highs/bass/loudness that I was looking for and sound lovely on my computer. And at only $60 or so, I would look into these as well cause I've been thrilled with them ever since.

If you can go with open headphones (they leak sound to others around you and do not provide much isolation), go for the HD555s. I got mine for $96 on a special from Amazon ;)

In my opinion, The DT770s sound much better than the 280 and are well worth spending extra for if you want closed headphones. It's quite a bit more comfortable (at the expense of slightly lower isolation) and have stronger bass. They're also more durable.

Do you have a link for the DT770's? What brand is it? I'm not able to find it.

beyerdynamic dt770. there are 80 and 250 ohm versions. get the 80 unless you have a nice amp

Back