Sending large files over the internet

deadman_uk

[H]ard|Gawd
I sometimes send large files over the internet to friends. I usually use torrent files but one of my friends computer doesnt like torrent files and they dont connect. The only option I see is using Windows Live Messenger (MSN Messenger) but that has no auto resume feature so if one of us disconnects or there is a network problem, all downloading/uploading is lost.

So how would I do this? I want to send a 500mb file to a friend, torrents arent an option and I need something with auto resume support. Any ideas? and before anyone says, no I dont have 500mb of webspace... lol

Can you be a little more detailed? Can I have links? names? instructions?

I have CuteFTP 7.0 professional, can that be used for this ?

deadman_uk said:
Can you be a little more detailed? Can I have links? names? instructions?

I have CuteFTP 7.0 professional, can that be used for this ?

No. Pretty much to do FTP you would setup a ftp server on your machine with usernames and passwords for your friends. You can then just setup a directory for them to grab the files from. Filezilla makes a pretty good ftp server/client and they are free. Look into them

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

you could put the file in a rar/zip and break it into like 10 parts, making it easier if disconnects or something occurs....

mIRC is another option. It's direct connection but does support resume. Both you and your friend have to be online to initiate the send, but it's pretty reliable. You can also use irc scripts to do a server setup which is similar to ftp.

I'd rather use ftp myself though. It's not called File Transfer Protocol for nothing.

You can always burn a CD and mail it to him/her. Easier, no risk for network problems, and probably cheaper than having your PC running all the time with a limited upload speed, uploading to your friend's computer.

I don't know if this will work for you... but try googling "file splitter". If you did it at the right size you could probably just send multiple emails.

Back